What's for dinner? Saturday 6-20-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
It's hot out, but the patio is shaded so I'm going to bite the bullet and grill a pork steak. It's been calling my name every time I open the freezer. :yum:

Sides to be determined, but will include some of the produce I got this morning from our small local farm stand.

What's everyone having today?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 209
Nice fresh bounty there Cheryl!

My sons are coming over at cocktail time to discuss business and I've made snacks to go with their IPA beer. Deviled eggs, Pimento cheese with crackers and veggie sticks, ham cubes, olives, etc. For me, I have a nice bottle of my new favorite wine......Trinity Oaks, Chardonnay from Napa. We found it in Philly. :rolleyes:
If we're hungry later after they leave I have some home made soup to defrost and heat.

I have a bounty of zucchini and cucumbers from the garden. Tonight I'll make a feast on the grill - stuffed zucchini, pork chops and pineapple. Haven't decided on seasonings for the last two yet, although pineapple with butter and chili powder is delish!

Probably my last solo dinner before SO returns Monday morning (Sunday I'm being taken out for dinner). So I'm doing it in style. Garlic and herb crusted rack of lamb, pilaf and zucchini. I do believe I'll break open a bottle of red to make it a balanced meal.

Lemon cake for dessert later on.

Eggs baked in Canadian bacon nests, along with overly garlicked hummus and crackers. We're also munching on the wild black raspberries I picked.

Last edited:
Was going to be veggie fajitas, but realized I didn't have any tortillas left and no corn flour. So, I'm using taco shells. A taco/fajita hybrid.

Tasty leftovers. Pulled some previously grilled brats from the freezer for re-heating along with some German sauerkraut from a jar. Last of this batch of 3 beans salad and the last two hoagie buns. The ice cream is long gone, I don't think it ever reached leftover status.

Farmer's market trip in the morning. Yay.

I made a center cut pork chop. I just used salt of it for seasoning. I had planned to have some sauerkraut with it. But when I got through half of it, I realized I was getting full, and had to stop eating. I was a little ticked off. I love the kraut. And now I am too full to eat any of it. So Pirate finished it off for me along with some breakfast sausages and eggs, toast. Nothing to brag about. Just filling. :angel:

I know you sometimes mention this Addie, I too can not eat as much as I used to be able to do. Smaller portions// half portions. I Try to have 2 veg's or 1 w/ salad along with today's main dish. A heaping tablespoon or two is more than plenty. The good part is I haven't gained any weight in the last two years or so.

I know I said for supper tonight I had bratS. Actually, I only ate one brat, split the long way although I did eat most of the two buns. . Bonus--You get more sauerkraut on the bun this way.

I fold up a plastic bag in my back pocket when we go out to eat. I know I can't eat all of what is ordered and after getting a leaky container to take home one time, now I come prepared,

Elder citizens tend to eat less as they get older. They are not as active as a 20 y.o. Which is great for the grocery bill. And if you are not gaining weight, then there is a good chance you could lose some unwanted pounds. My eating has decreased so much that I have gone from 160 lbs. to 120 lbs. this past year. Something my doctor has yelled at me for. But being only 4'7", my weight should be 97lbs. I will settle for just 100 lbs.

I know what you mean about going out for a meal. My daughter took me out to a local seafood restaurant for Mother's Day. I ordered fried clams. One of my ultimate foods. They give you a lot. I told them to hold the F.F. potatoes. So they gave me extra clams and a bigger helping of cole slaw and fried onion rings in place of the F.F. We went to eat at around three in the afternoon. I made sure I didn't have a bite all day. Surprise of surprises. I actually cleaned my plate. I left the onion rings on my plate. It has been more that a year since I ate that much in one sitting. But I love clams. Lobster, Crab, Oh just seafood in general. :angel:

Since they predicted nice today/rain tomorrow, we figured we'd do the "Fathers' Day" grill today. I guess the rain found out - it drizzled on Himself while he grilled.

Split a romaine in half, drizzled with OO, and grilled. Topped with bacon, egg, and tomato and drizzled with a dressing made from the bacon drippings, white balsamic vinegar, and fresh-ground pepper. Followed that up with grilled corn, double-thick pork chop, and half-of-a-half grilled potato plank (a lonely leftover). Himself grilled the corn first; while he cooked the chops I cut the corn off the cob and tossed it with shallot sauteed in browned butter and mixed with fresh-cut basil. Lawdy, that there was some good eatin'! :yum:

Attachments

• 2015-06-20 20.30.46.jpg
    2015-06-20 20.30.46.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 2015-06-20 21.27.12.jpg
    2015-06-20 21.27.12.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 169
We went to our favourite, local Italian resto, Scarolie's.

Stirling had:
Farfullo Arrosto
Chopped Roasted Italian Sausage, Tomato Sauce, Garlic, Roasted Bell Peppers, Shallots And White Wine
And I had:
Linguini Pescatore
Tomato Sauce, Garlic, Anchovies, Capers, Mussels, Shrimps, Scallops, Calamari, Clams And White Wine
But, they gave me an aglio e olio sauce instead the tomato sauce, 'cause the tomatoes in the sauce came out of a can. And I got the whole wheat linguini they make in house. That meal was soooo good. There was a lot, so I brought at least half of it home. I get to have it again!

We had Lamberti Pino Grigio with supper. It was lovely.

Love the pic CG, that looks fabulous...! Everyone's dinners tonight sounds so good. :yum:

I grilled a pork shoulder steak this afternoon, and threw some of the fresh veggies I got from the farm stand this morning on the grill as well. I was only able to eat maybe half, but I expected that and wrapped up the leftovers to nibble on tomorrow. :)

The potatoes were from the farm stand too, I steamed them while the pork steak was grillin', then fried them quickly in a little butter, garlic and parsley while the meat was resting. All I need now is chocolate something, but I don't have any. Waaaahh...

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
We went to our favourite, local Italian resto, Scarolie's.

Stirling had:
Farfullo Arrosto
Chopped Roasted Italian Sausage, Tomato Sauce, Garlic, Roasted Bell Peppers, Shallots And White Wine
And I had:
Linguini Pescatore
Tomato Sauce, Garlic, Anchovies, Capers, Mussels, Shrimps, Scallops, Calamari, Clams And White Wine
But, they gave me an aglio e olio sauce instead the tomato sauce, 'cause the tomatoes in the sauce came out of a can. And I got the whole wheat linguini they make in house. That meal was soooo good. There was a lot, so I brought at least half of it home. I get to have it again!

We had Lamberti Pino Grigio with supper. It was lovely.

That sounds really good. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom