What's for Dinner Saturday Jan. 23rd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salmon. Continuing my effort to eat healthier. I am going to marinate the salmon in teriyaki sauce and bake in the oven. Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I have only cooked salmon one other time and I hated it. So, I am giving it a try again. With the salmon I was going to roast squash and onions and have a Caesar salad.

My wife prefers when I just wrap the salmon filet in foil and put a pad of butter, some olive oil, salt and pepper in the sealed packet.... and bake it! I leave it open for the last few minutes. Simple.

Beef roast...

Christening My New Le Creuset

dsc_00082.jpg

dsc_0015.jpg

dsc_0020.jpg

dsc_0034.jpg
Great-looking roast! :)

Hot dogs with fried onions, Root Beer and maybe french fries if I can find my fryer in the big kitchen pile that used to be my living room (never ending renos).

The beef sandwiches sound good though.
Ahhhh.. your weekend favorite! :) Sounds so good! I don't have any hot dogs, and I was just at the store!

Salmon. Continuing my effort to eat healthier. I am going to marinate the salmon in teriyaki sauce and bake in the oven. Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I have only cooked salmon one other time and I hated it. So, I am giving it a try again. With the salmon I was going to roast squash and onions and have a Caesar salad.
Both salmon and tuna are too strongly flavored for my tastebuds, but I fix them because they are "good for you".:rolleyes: I'll season them heavily (sea salt, pepper, herb blends, Season-All - whatever sounds good to my tastebuds that day) and then cook in a bit of olive oil in my CI skillet until done. Don't like chewy fish. Leftovers are terrrific on a greens salad for lunch the next day.

Ahhhh.. your weekend favorite! :) Sounds so good! I don't have any hot dogs, and I was just at the store!

LOL You know me too well, VB. I make this for Dad and I once every weekend....he doesn't complain, except he used to eat it twice a week! :LOL::LOL:

As usual we have a ton of sports on today (curling, golf and hockey so it is the perfect quick and delicious meal.

Hot dogs with fried onions, Root Beer and maybe french fries if I can find my fryer in the big kitchen pile that used to be my living room (never ending renos).

The beef sandwiches sound good though.
Sometimes I turn my hot dogs into more of a supper type meal, rather than a dog-in-bun. Saute chopped onions in large skillet while cutting hot dogs (use real ones with natural casing for best taste) and potatoes into large bite-size pieces. When the onions are clear and just browning add hot dog pieces to brown them a bit, then add potatoes, a bit of water (with a touch flour or cornstarch if you want a thicker sauce) and cover, cooking over low-medium heat until the potatoes are tender. Keep adding a bit of water as the potatoes cook; don't let the pan get dry. Quick, easy, and looks like a meal. Yum.... Great for a winter evening with crusty bread and a salad.

If you have the green beans I am on my way over.....I can even pick some up on the way if need be! ;)
We have plenty of pork chops and potatoes (still not sure about the green beans), so grab some and head on over!

I like to cook the pork chops in a skillet (no breading--just some pepper and garlic, or Dave Hutchin's spice mix), then when they are about done, I dump a can of green beans (or a frozen vegetable and a little water) over the pork chops. The pork chops give the green beans a nice added flavor. I remember my mom doing that now and then. :cool:

:)Barbara

Sometimes I turn my hot dogs into more of a supper type meal, rather than a dog-in-bun. Saute chopped onions in large skillet while cutting hot dogs (use real ones with natural casing for best taste) and potatoes into large bite-size pieces. When the onions are clear and just browning add hot dog pieces to brown them a bit, then add potatoes, a bit of water (with a touch flour or cornstarch if you want a thicker sauce) and cover, cooking over low-medium heat until the potatoes are tender. Keep adding a bit of water as the potatoes cook; don't let the pan get dry. Quick, easy, and looks like a meal. Yum.... Great for a winter evening with crusty bread and a salad.

Thanks CG, this sounds delicious and I may try it sometime. :chef:

However, my elderly Dad, who has been living with us for almost a year now, and I have had a tradition since I was really young that on Saturday nights (Hockey Night in Canada) Mom would make us 2 fried hot dogs each - one in a bun and smothered in fried onions, mustard for Dad, relish for me; the other just on the plate eaten with your fingers. We sometimes have chips or fries and other times just the dogs. Oh, and ALWAYS an A&W rootbeer with it....though nowadays it is diet. Now that we are back together, we have it Friday, Saturday or Sunday, depending on the best sports night!

the teriyaki sauce may be to strong for salmon. do you have a large piece of salmon? if so , lay out on foil, large enough to fold up and make a container . mix mayo, Worcester sauce and lemon juice together, paint on fish. close up foil to completely cover fish and contain sauce. don't know how long to tell you to cook it. or can put on your grill out side and check it. i have only done on grill, and once in microwave. was good both ways.

when i made this chicken dish last night i made enough for couple nights. so will be that and sweet potatoes. can't post the recipe. so go to taste of home and look for bacon mushroom chicken. i used thighs. they sauce is to die for it made enough for four good sized thighs . i will make this sauce for other dishes, it is so good. i left out the seasoned salt. makes it to salty for me.

the teriyaki sauce may be to strong for salmon. do you have a large piece of salmon? if so , lay out on foil, large enough to fold up and make a container . mix mayo, Worcester sauce and lemon juice together, paint on fish. close up foil to completely cover fish and contain sauce. don't know how long to tell you to cook it. or can put on your grill out side and check it. i have only done on grill, and once in microwave. was good both ways.
That sounds good babe.

I like to put a little lemon juice and dill on mine before baking it.

One time I rubbed some tuna steaks down with Liquid Smoke before baking them, and they actually tasted like (and had almost the same texture as) beef steaks! You could try that with salmon steaks as well.

:)Barbara

Made up a diet plate. Hamburger steak, fried spam, fried rice, fried egg mushroom gravy, macaroni salad with kimchi on the side.

4297990419_011a8a1d8f_b.jpg

It is a small piece of salmon. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out.

I've got chunks of pork shoulder that I seared in a skillet, cooking in my crockpot. I just finished making coleslaw. We're having pulled pork sangwiches on no knead bread.

Tonight's dinner is breaded-browned pork chops, baked in the oven with gravy. On the side, baked cabbage/baby carrots (drizzled with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of caraway seed) and sliced beets. I was going to make mashed potatoes, but Mark wanted beets.

Back
Top Bottom