What's on the plate, Kate? Tuesday, July 31st

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Hard to believe August is already here.

Tonight we're having my own invention: barbeque penne with hickory smoked sausage. It's not as heavy on the barbeque flavor as you might think. Mostly it's a modified Alfredo sauce with chunks of sausage. :yum:

I'm thinking jambalaya. I have ham left over and will cook that up along with a pound of smoked sausage to throw in the pot. I love these one pot meals on hot days. I have some baby spinach that I think we'll use to make some salads also if anyone is interested in one.

Hot dogs on the grill with toasted buns, brown mustard, sauerkraut and sweet relish. BBQ baked beans and pasta salad on the side.

Salmon & Sowrdfish Kebabs the 31st on Terrace

Photo of the fish kebabs served with a caramelized onion chutney:

Buonasera e Ciao, Margaux Cintrano

Attachments

• KEBABS DE PESCADO.jpg
    KEBABS DE PESCADO.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
It's been so hot I've barely been able to enjoy summer! It just goes too fast. I think I'm going to whip up some home made ravioli tonight. The ricotta vs cottage cheese debate inspired me

'Arry's Empapelado De Mariscos

so,i'm watching thomasina miers eating said dish off a street vendors stall somewhere in mexico on "mexican food made easy".the chef showed her how to make it.as a lover of mexican food i thought "'arry my son you need to 'ave a bash at that".a quick rummage in the freezer revealed i had no octopus,but did have squid,i did have crabs(steady boys,steady!)but wouldn't thaw in time,i did have prawns,scallops & a quite elderly chunk of monkfish on the bone,so far so good.i have never ever cooked with mayonnaise apart from in crab cakes,certainly never mixed with fish stock.never even tasted chipotle chillies let alone cooked with one....it all worked,i'm hooked(fish joke).ate it with a couple of tortilla's baked in the oven,one puffed up,one didn't...b*gger!

Attachments

• EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 001.JPG
    EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 001.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 152
  • EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 002.JPG
    EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 002.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 189
  • EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 003.JPG
    EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 003.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 148
  • EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 004.JPG
    EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 004.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 148
  • EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 005.JPG
    EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 005.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 156
  • EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 008.JPG
    EMPAPELADO DE MARISCOS 008.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Looks mighty good, Harry. So ARE those chipotles? They look different than the chipotle chiles we get over here, which can be purchased either dried, or canned with "adobo" sauce.

If you don't have the real McCoy available, I've found that a good substitute for chipotle is a mix of smoked Spanish paprika and cayenne.

Looks mighty good, Harry. So ARE those chipotles? They look different than the chipotle chiles we get over here, which can be purchased either dried, or canned with "adobo" sauce.

If you don't have the real McCoy available, I've found that a good substitute for chipotle is a mix of smoked Spanish paprika and cayenne.
thanks mate.i bought them in tesco as chipotle's.they were dried but still flexible.i agree they look a lot smaller & more wrinkly(don't we all!)than the ones i see on american cooking shows.they were very smokey with an almost licourice like flavour,but no heat....does that sound right?.i don't know 'cos as i said steve,i've never used them before.only know they were delish,saved it til last & ate it:yum:!!
but,as we said in a previous post,mexican food....my oh my oh my:yum:!!

Last edited:
The ones we get do have some heat. Not a lot, mind you. They're nothing but dried smoked jalapenos, so they're only as hot as that.

The ones in your photo look to me look almost like guajillos, which would explain the lack of heat.

Last edited:
The ones we get do have some heat. Not a lot, mind you. They're nothing but dried smoked jalapenos, so they're only as hot as that.

The ones in your photo look to me look almost like guajillos, which would explain the lack of heat.
just checked the pack before i go suing tesco for a couple of trillion £'s....says "dried chipotle chillies.smoked red jalapenos chillies produce of mexico packed in the uk"probably all went wrong with the uk packing!
if you're sure they are guajillos you can be my expert witness & if we win you can have a couple of million steve:rolleyes:!!
whatever they were mate,they were fabulous,really banged in a deep,smokey flavour to the dish!

Stovetop baked stuffed zucchini; stuffed with chopped zucchini pulp, a mix of ground pork, sauteed onions, garlic, bread crumbs, and egg; topped with grated parmigiano & pecorino romano, mozzarella; and a tomato mushroom sauce herbed with coriander, fennel seeds, hot red pepper flakes, green pepper corns, basil, garlic, and oregano. Might need some Tums for desert.

Last edited:

Tonight we're having my own invention: barbeque penne with hickory smoked sausage. It's not as heavy on the barbeque flavor as you might think. Mostly it's a modified Alfredo sauce with chunks of sausage. :yum:
How do you keep the penne noodles from falling betwee the grates?

Craving fried chikin'. Tater salad and coleslawwww.

Last edited:

Bite your tongue Steve, we still have 10 hours of July here! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We are having DH's parents and brother over for dinner tonight.
grilled salmon
pork souvlaki
rice pilaf
corn on the cob
broccoli salad
summer fruit crumble with homemade ice cream

It is a perfect day for backyard grilling. I am simply making burgers, with tomato and onion and grilled sliced potatoes on the side.

I'm making a veggie-loaded salad with a copycat Olive Garden dressing and an experiment - sauteed onions and garlic with a can of baked beans and chopped leftover chicken that was seasoned with a southwestern-style rub and grilled the other day for tacos. And garlic bread. That should do it.

“Potted” Beef - London broil nicely seasoned, seared and simmered until tender and served with mashed potatoes, steamed spinach and pan gravy.

img_1168422_0_e1bb852cf9991944cf1025b6dab46d0d.jpg

I am achy and just ate a bit of the meat. Not really hungry.

“Potted” Beef - London broil nicely seasoned, seared and simmered until tender and served with mashed potatoes, steamed spinach and pan gravy.

img_1168441_0_e1bb852cf9991944cf1025b6dab46d0d.jpg

I am achy and just ate a bit of the meat. Not really hungry.

That looks very tasty MM :yum:

Back
Top Bottom