"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 12-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
Cook

OR - Portland or coast between Lincoln City and Astoria - suggestions?

So I grew up in Oregon but my parents didn't like the beach so we never really went too much. Now I'm married and my wife and I are going to Oregon for a friend's wedding and I would like her to get to experience good northwest seafood. She's never been to the ocean before and I'm trying to plan this trip so she will get to experience as much as possible. So with that said, are there any (as affordable as possible ) restaurants that any of you would recommend either in Portland or on the coast? We will be between Lincoln City and Astoria...

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If you like beer, check out Rogue Brewery in Newport on the coast, south of Lincoln. They have a tasting room and also a restaurant where you can sample all of their different brews. The restaurant is pretty good too.

www.rogue.com

In Portland, two places that are affordable that I like to go to are Widmer Bros. alehouse and Dan and Louis Oyster bar

www.widmer.com

www.danandlouis.com

If HTC sees this thread, she lives in Oregon so she can help you out more. Also, if you and your wife like wines that I would highly recommend you guys hitting up the Williamette Valley. A good place to eat is the restaurant here:

http://www.ponziwines.com/

Old 12-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Cook

ironchef - Thanks for the reply! I've heard of the oyster bar but never checked it out myself, we might have to give that a try! It's kindof funny that you mention beer and wine, neither my wife or I drink ;-) Anyway, I do appreciate your response and we'll have to check out Dan and Louis Oyster Bar!
Old 12-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to our beautiful state!

Seaside Oregon: Duggers (fantastic clam chowder)- it's on "The Prom" which is THE main street in tiny Seaside. Be sure to stop at the Seaside Bakery for some "Beach Bread". The Prom ends at the sand and there is a statue to Lewis and Clark - supposedly it's the end of the Lewis and Clark Trail. Seaside Aquarium is fun to feed the seals!

Cannon Beach: Delightfully artsy community just a short distance south of Seaside.

Lincoln City: Further south but it's a beautiful drive on Hwy 101. My favorite restaurant in the whole world is Kyllos. Everything I've ever eaten there was magnificent. Their chowder is beyond compare (we drive there just for a chowder fix often) When they have Razor Clams....well I'd drive all day for that! The restaurant is perched over the D River - shortest river in the world where it joins the sea. Lincoln City I Kite Flying central.

In Portland: For a delightful view of the city - the Charthouse on Terwilliger Blvd. Jake's in downtown is a wonderful seafood house. Wildwood restaurant is Pacific NW cuisine on the cutting edge - a little spendy. If you like Thai then Typoon is a must. For Italian: Cafe Mingo is a special treat. Kornblatts Deli is a delight with their HUGE Reuben sandwiches and their soups are good too.

Have a wonderful time!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My favorite sea food place in Portland is
JAKES!! WONDERFUL! It's close to the water front
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Cook

We stay at a beach house in Lincoln City 2-4 times per year and also like Kyllo's. A few years back, we asked a few local people where they go for dinner in the area and they all said Dory Cove. It's nothing to look at, but the food was great and the prices are reasonable. It is located in Lincoln City on Logan Road, about 4 miles off hwy101. Be forwarned though, if you go at the 7pm dinner hour, the line to get in will be out the door!
Have fun on your trip!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm from Oregon and one of the best places I've ate at in Lincoln city was called Pier 101. I had a seafood medley that was out of this world! Not to mention the best clam chowder I've ever tasted. Did not eat at Kyllos.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I used to live north of the border (Vanc, WA area). Although I don't get back that way as much as I'd like, when I do my youngest brother and I usually head into Portland for some of the microbrews. I'm addicted to good beer. Widmer Brothers and Portland Brewing are always a few of my favorite stops.

Ciao,
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior Cook

We just returned from Portland - we were married there in the 60's. We ate at Wildwood and Lucy's Table both in N.W. Portland and both very good. Downtown Portland we ate at Higgins - all places very northwest cuisine. Local foods. So good! Also visited Dundee area and ate at the "Dundee Bistro" before going to a few winery's to taste and buy their good wines. I have not been to the coast in a few years - we used to stay in Salishan. Also, my hubby loves Bandon Dunes for the golf.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
We just returned from Portland - we were married there in the 60's. We ate at Wildwood and Lucy's Table both in N.W. Portland and both very good. Downtown Portland we ate at Higgins - all places very northwest cuisine. Local foods. So good! Also visited Dundee area and ate at the "Dundee Bistro" before going to a few winery's to taste and buy their good wines. I have not been to the coast in a few years - we used to stay in Salishan. Also, my hubby loves Bandon Dunes for the golf.
It's funny because almost every person I've met that visited the Willamette Valley region has eaten at the Dundee Bistro. Here's the menu in case anyone ever gets there. They're also constantly changing their menu with the seasons and according to what's fresh so don't get hooked on something that you see because it may not be there later:

The Dundee Bistro: Our Menus

Tags
or, oregon