Original Ranch Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Spring is right around the corner and in Chicago this means we will probably be making salads. Last year I found a ranch dressing recipe and may have posted it. Well I dug it up the other day and thought I would throw it out to the forum again, in case you missed it the first time.

When I found this recipe it was labeled as the original recipe for Ranch Dressing created at the Hidden Valley Guest Ranch in Santa Barbara
California back in the 1050's. I really have no idea if that is true but I know this is an excellent and easy dressing.

Ranch Dressing

1 clove Garlic
2-3 pinches salt
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
1 Tablespoon minced Cilantro (Parsley will work)
1 Tablespoon minced Chives (Green Onion will work)
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper (maybe more, maybe less)
Salt

Mash together the Salt and Garlic until it is a paste.

Add Buttermilk, Mayonnaise and whisk in Lime Juice, Cilantro, Chives and
Cracked Pepper until well blended. I personally like more cracked pepper than most but you will have to decide.

Add Salt if necessary.

Enjoy on salad or for dipping vegetables.

bknox said:
Spring is right around the corner and in Chicago this means we will probably be making salads. Last year I found a ranch dressing recipe and may have posted it. Well I dug it up the other day and thought I would throw it out to the forum again, in case you missed it the first time.

When I found this recipe it was labeled as the original recipe for Ranch Dressing created at the Hidden Valley Guest Ranch in Santa Barbara
California back in the 1050's. I really have no idea if that is true but I know this is an excellent and easy dressing.

Ranch Dressing

1 clove Garlic
2-3 pinches salt
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
1 Tablespoon minced Cilantro (Parsley will work)
1 Tablespoon minced Chives (Green Onion will work)
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper (maybe more, maybe less)
Salt

Mash together the Salt and Garlic until it is a paste.

Add Buttermilk, Mayonnaise and whisk in Lime Juice, Cilantro, Chives and
Cracked Pepper until well blended. I personally like more cracked pepper than most but you will have to decide.

Add Salt if necessary.

Enjoy on salad or for dipping vegetables.

That is a very old California recipe,:LOL: j/k. Love ranch, copied saved. For me, I might go lighter on the salt. Thank you.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom