Tuscan Panzanella Bread Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: Buon Giorno, Ladies and Gents,

Bread Salad called Panzanella is very popular in both Tuscana and its neighboring province to the east, Umbria. It is simple to prepare and low fat.

INSALATA ALLA PANZANELLA DI TUSCANA ... TUSCAN PANZANELLA BREAD SALAD ... :yum:

12 OZ. DAY OLD ITALIAN STYLE BAGUETTE
2/3 CUP EVOO
5 TBLSPS BALSAMIC VINEGAR
2 TBLSPS MINCED SPRING ONION
3 CUPS SLICED ESCAROLA
1 1/2 CUPS RADICCHIO
1/2 POUND CHERRY TOMATOES OR TOMATOES OF CHOICE
1 RED BELL PEPPER CUT INTO JULIENNE THIN STRIPS
1 GOLDEN YELLOW BELL PEPPER CUT INTO JULIENNE THIN STRIPS
1 SMALL CARROT, PEELED AND THINLY SLICED
1/2 CUP THIN SLICED CELERY
1/2 CUP ARUGULA ( ROCKET )
1/2 CUP FRESH BASIL LEAVES

1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES FARENH.
2. place the bread slices on baking sheet and toast until crisp, 10 mins. and Let Cool.
3. cut the bread into 1 inch pieces and place in medium bowl
4. add enough warm water to cover bread and let stand until the bread is just semi-soft about 1 minute
5. squeeze the bread gently to release excess water and transfer the bread to a large bowl
6. add 1/3 cup EVOO with 2 tblsps vinegar and the onion
7. season to taste with salt and freshly ground blk pepper
8. let stand 45 mins.
9. mix the escarola, radicchio, tomatoes, bell peps, carrot, celery, cucumber shredded, arugula and basil into the bread mixture
10. whisk the remaining Evoo 1/3 cup and the 3 tblsps of vinegar in small bowl
11. season with s & p freshly grated and pour dressing on salad and toss ... garnish with Reggiano Parmesano ...

Enjoy with a crisp chilled Lambrusco, Rosé or Prosecco or Dry white wine ...

Have nice Friday. ;)
Ciao,
Margi. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soma, Buonasera, Good Afternoon,

The crisp bread croutons can be placed on top of the salad to maintain the crispiness or be incorporated into the salad and dressing; however, they shall become moist from the dressing or vinaigrette.

Have lovely August.
Margi.

Thanks Margi,

when I first read the recipe, I assumed that the bread, even though toasted, would become soggy from soaking for 1 minute....but I guess it doesn't? it just makes them nicely easy to chew?

Soma,

Firstly, thanks for your posts.

We all have our little quirks, and one of mine is that I like my bread and my bread croutons crispy. Thus, I place my croutons in the salad as a final step, so they do not get too moist ...

However, I was taught to prepare tossing the croutons and the other salad elements in the vinagrette ...

So, it is up to you ( your palate individually ) how you prefer to have it.

Enjoy.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Thanks again for all your helpful responses, Margi. I might not be making myself clear. I was referring to steps 4, 5, 6 in your recipe: (which suggests to me that it is mooshing up the bread and adding it to the oil, vinegar, so that the bread becomes part of the dressing....which sounds very interesting to me.

4. add enough warm water to cover bread and let stand until the bread is just semi-soft about 1 minute
5. squeeze the bread gently to release excess water and transfer the bread to a large bowl
6. add 1/3 cup EVOO with 2 tblsps vinegar ......

Last edited:
Soma,

Understand. This is how it was prepared by the Chef at a classic rural pastoral agricultural based Trattoria where we had originally eaten it in an Abruzz hamlet during the Easter holidays ... However, I prefer it, with the croutons placed on top like a Caesar Salad ... for the texture of crispiness ...

Enjoy ... It is very tasty either way.

Margi.

Last edited:
....by the Chef at a classic rural pastoral agricultural based Trattoria where we had originally eaten it in an Abruzz hamlet

Your posts, and even your recipes, to me sound so romantic, Margi....like reading a novel from very far away and beautiful places that I can only dream about, will never visit...SIGH.

Thanks for sharing.

Soma,

I am taking this as a lovely compliment ... The Vet, my husband and I enjoy life, the best of what life has to offer .. For us, firstly our health, then our two grown married daughters, and their children; after that; great gastronomy and wonderful wines to pair it with ... Our hobby is travelling and enjoying ...

Thanks.
Margi.

I have seen many variations on this dish, i.e.:

Grilling the bread
using sourdough bread
Panzanella skewers
adding shrimp or salmon
adding olives, capers, etc.

I like this idea for a party:

Panzanella Skewers served with Yellow Gazpacho Shooters:

Panzanella Skewers & Yellow Gazpacho Shooters

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is similar to a Caesar salad. Caesar salad contains pretty much romaine, anchovies, Parmesan cheese and garlic croutons. Panzanella and Caesar have almost no ingredients in common.

marge, so as not to dodge the question, have you ever had or have seen a ceaser salad made in the traditional wooden bowl tableside?

it's a yes or no question.

Back
Top Bottom