Buon Giorno, Ladies and Gents,
Bread Salad called Panzanella is very popular in both Tuscana and its neighboring province to the east, Umbria. It is simple to prepare and low fat.
INSALATA ALLA PANZANELLA DI TUSCANA ... TUSCAN PANZANELLA BREAD SALAD ...
12 OZ. DAY OLD ITALIAN STYLE BAGUETTE
2/3 CUP EVOO
5 TBLSPS BALSAMIC VINEGAR
2 TBLSPS MINCED SPRING ONION
3 CUPS SLICED ESCAROLA
1 1/2 CUPS RADICCHIO
1/2 POUND CHERRY TOMATOES OR TOMATOES OF CHOICE
1 RED BELL PEPPER CUT INTO JULIENNE THIN STRIPS
1 GOLDEN YELLOW BELL PEPPER CUT INTO JULIENNE THIN STRIPS
1 SMALL CARROT, PEELED AND THINLY SLICED
1/2 CUP THIN SLICED CELERY
1/2 CUP ARUGULA ( ROCKET )
1/2 CUP FRESH BASIL LEAVES
1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES FARENH.
2. place the bread slices on baking sheet and toast until crisp, 10 mins. and Let Cool.
3. cut the bread into 1 inch pieces and place in medium bowl
4. add enough warm water to cover bread and let stand until the bread is just semi-soft about 1 minute
5. squeeze the bread gently to release excess water and transfer the bread to a large bowl
6. add 1/3 cup EVOO with 2 tblsps vinegar and the onion
7. season to taste with salt and freshly ground blk pepper
8. let stand 45 mins.
9. mix the escarola, radicchio, tomatoes, bell peps, carrot, celery, cucumber shredded, arugula and basil into the bread mixture
10. whisk the remaining Evoo 1/3 cup and the 3 tblsps of vinegar in small bowl
11. season with s & p freshly grated and pour dressing on salad and toss ... garnish with Reggiano Parmesano ...
Enjoy with a crisp chilled Lambrusco, Rosé or Prosecco or Dry white wine ...
Have nice Friday.