"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Salads & Salad Dressings

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
You make Caesar dressing ahead? I always make it in the bowl where I'm making the salad. It's one of the few dressings I don't shake up in a jar! In fact, Caesar Salad was the FIRST place I ever was aware of olive oil being used in salad dressing.
I make Caesar dressing on the spot also. Can't imagine making salad dressings ahead anyway. And, like you, I use lemon juice in place of vinegar sometimes especially when making dressing for Greek salads. Greek olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and Greek oregano over greens, kalamata olives, sliced beets, red onion, pepperoncini and feta cheese. I doesn't get any better than that.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I definitely think it's a matter of personal taste too.

As far as the Caesar dressing goes - I also use a "light" olive oil or canola.
Lately I've been making the dressing "on the greens".

I think the traditional ingredients are EVOO, coddled egg yolks, lemon juice, and worcestershire sauce (which is why people believe the dressing contains anchovies). The garlic flavor traditionally came from the garlic croutons alone. Got this from Alton Brown's research.

For sandwiches like Grilled Chicken Caesar Wraps, I make a stiffer dressing in a separate bowl using homemade mayo instead of oil/egg yolks tossed on the greens, along with some anchovy paste and finely minced garlic (plus lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper).

Just my taste buds though -

Old 08-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
You make Caesar dressing ahead? I always make it in the bowl where I'm making the salad. It's one of the few dressings I don't shake up in a jar! In fact, Caesar Salad was the FIRST place I ever was aware of olive oil being used in salad dressing.
We don't do tableside caesars and it would be highly impractical during service to make caesar dressing to order.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Where I worked we made Caesar ahead too - it would, without any taste changes, keep very nicely. A fast-paced kitchen it is not conducive to making Caesar, or any other dressing, "per order". Unless it is made table side it just doesn't flow.

And Caesar salad dressing does, indeed, contain anchovies - and I have always used raw eggs - if I was making a lot I would switch from a few whole eggs and then add egg whites for the rest.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #35
Head Chef

Sorry Nicholas, but the reason for the anchovy taste in Caesar dressing is not the Worchestershire sauce, it's the anchovies. True Caesar has anchovies and I love them, but most people refuse to use them in their dressing because it turns them off. I think it misses something without anchovies.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #36
Sous Chef

I just got that information from Alton Brown and a couple internet sites focusing on food history. According to these sources, the original caesar preparation at table side used worcestershire sauce (which contains anchovy itself). Apparently over time people tried to adapt the recipe, and many restaurants used anchovy paste and garlic. Then came the deal of laying a few whole anchovy filets atop the salad. I like the traditional recipe, along with recipes made with anchovy paste or mashed filets - but whole filets on top of or tossed withthe romaine just overwhelm the other flavors to me.

Lately I've been using the traditional ingredients of Olive Oil, coddled egg yolks (I use raw), lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, S&P, and parmesan cheese tossed at the end - along with romaine and garlic croutons.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
I just got that information from Alton Brown and a couple internet sites focusing on food history. According to these sources, the original caesar preparation at table side used worcestershire sauce (which contains anchovy itself). Apparently over time people tried to adapt the recipe, and many restaurants used anchovy paste and garlic. Then came the deal of laying a few whole anchovy filets atop the salad. I like the traditional recipe, along with recipes made with anchovy paste or mashed filets - but whole filets on top of or tossed withthe romaine just overwhelm the other flavors to me.
That is correct. Caesar Cardini's original recipe contained no actual anchovies except for what was in the worcestershire sauce. Anchovy was later added as other people made their own interpretations of the salad.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Caesar salads are one of those simple dishes that I judge restaurants by. I really love it when the restaurant gives huge descriptions of it's dishes - a great way for an establishment to make or break it's image for me.

I ate out at a place in Northampton Massachusetts a while back who's menu described it's "Traditional Caesar" as one that would make Caesar Cardini proud... it's dressing was mayo based and featured "Whole Anchovy Filets" along with parmesan garlic toasts... Caesar salads are pretty difficult to mess up - and this one was terrible (although the parmesan toasts were great!). I also tried their "Perfectly Roasted Chicken" with the house Pilaf. All in all the meal was $25 and I won't be going back.

The person who ate with me loved her meal though - Orechiette and Grilled Chicken swimming in a pool of sundried tomato cream sauce with asparagus tips. Ah well...

I'm only picky when I'm paying...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Caesar salads are one of those simple dishes that I judge restaurants by. I really love it when the restaurant gives huge descriptions of it's dishes - a great way for an establishment to make or break it's image for me.

I ate out at a place in Northampton Massachusetts a while back who's menu described it's "Traditional Caesar" as one that would make Caesar Cardini proud... it's dressing was mayo based and featured "Whole Anchovy Filets" along with parmesan garlic toasts... Caesar salads are pretty difficult to mess up - and this one was terrible (although the parmesan toasts were great!). I also tried their "Perfectly Roasted Chicken" with the house Pilaf. All in all the meal was $25 and I won't be going back.

The person who ate with me loved her meal though - Orechiette and Grilled Chicken swimming in a pool of sundried tomato cream sauce with asparagus tips. Ah well...

I'm only picky when I'm paying...
Their "traditional" Caesar is about as traditional as a sun-dried tomato cream sauce would be in Italian cuisine. What was it, an "Italian" restaurant, Mediterranean, or just one of those places that has no identity and serves a whole bunch of stuff?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #40
Sous Chef

It was one of those places that has no identity and serves a whole bunch of stuff that attempts to be trendy.

Just way too many of these places. The person I went with liked this restaurant though, so I obliged. The bottled beer and company was good though, so not every aspect of the experience was defunct.

Tags
None