Warm Chicken Salad For Wal Mart Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This salad marries the sweetness of grapes with the savory flavor of canned chicken to make a warm, though uncooked, salad. You will enjoy the light crunch of the celery in this easy to make comfort food.

You will need:
*1 12.5 oz. can of canned, chunk chicken breast
*2 stalks celery, sliced
*1 1/2 cups halved, seedless grapes (slice grapes lengthwise)
*1/4 tsp. onion powder, or 3 tbs. finely minced fresh onion
*2 tbs. mayonnaise
*2 tbs. sour cream
*3/4 lb. grated cheese (Monterey Jack, colbly, colby-jack, or medium cheddar are good in this salad
*Potato Chips

Drain juice from the canned chicken and reserve for later use in other recipes. Combine the drained chicken, celery, sliced grapes, and grated cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, and onion. Fold every thing together until the salad ingredients are evenly coated by the mayo, and sour cream. Place the bowl into a microwave oven and heat for about 1 1/2 minutes. The salad is supposed to be warm, not hot.

Break up potato chips to cover, and heat long enough to make the cheese gooey and delicious.

This recipe is courtesy of my wife, who got it from a lady at our church.
Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
taxlady said:
1.5 seedless grapes isn't very much.

Ducks and runs.

You realize you are responsible for cleaning off my iPad screen, TL!

Last edited:
1.5 seedless grapes isn't very much.

Ducks and runs.

Maybe I should have followed that "1.5" with "cups"; whatcha think?:blush:

Oh, and because it was my error, you don't have to duck and run. But just so's ya knows, duck and run doesn't work. I'm a dead shot with my virtual snowball, or virtual water balloon throwing arm. Why I hit a guy with a virtual snowball all the way from the Eastern tip of Lake Superior, to the beaches of West Virginia, and he was mostly buried to his neck in sand by his kids, who wanted to bury him further, but was prevented by their mom. She said that if they buried him all the way, they wouldn't be able to bounce ping-pong balls off of his pointy noggin.:LOL: They felt that this was just punishment for the Dad throwing ice-water over the shower curtain.:ROFLMAO:.

In any case, with the 1 1/2 cups of sliced grapes, this warm salad is pretty good stuff. If it were my recipe, I'd be tempted to add broken pecans too.

Chief-- with a throwing arm and aim like that, I can think of any number of baseball clubs who might be interested in your skills this early in the season!:LOL:

Potato Chips on Top. Yum. Reminds me of School lunch Tuna Casserole ( which I liked).

Now, if this was my recipe, which it's not, I would sub the pecans for some coarse chopped smoked almonds, the kind that come in a little can.

I just mIght make this. No grapes right now, but I have a can of chicken on the spare shelf. :yum:

@ Chief,

While I see a lovely recipe; it has a Mediterranean potential to be healthier ... The grapes are a lovely touch ... a bit of savoury and sweet ... ( no seedless grapes in Europe ! )

The seeds are extremely important as they impart health properties and are used in skin care, medicines and vitamin therapies.

I would use:

1) Only fresh sautèed chicken breasts in Evoo for my salad and make my own Mayonnaise ( ali oli ).

Thank you ... It is a Good idea and shall do for a sandwich next week.

Another point I would add: sliced tomato, basil herb, parsley or dill herb and I would use Brie or Bufala di Mozzarella and Melt the sandwich under broiler with a drizzle of Evoo and Modena Balsamic Vinegar.

The Lays Brand of Punto de Sal, light on salt however not salt free are a nice pickie every so often ...

I would serve this with a chilled glass of white wine or Rosé --- depending on the color of grapes used in the salad. A Prosecco would be lovely here too.

Have nice wkend.
Thanks alot for posting the salad,

Margi. Cintrano.

Last edited:
My wife read the recipe that I posted and noticed some errors compared to the recipe she gave me. So, I'm posting the corrected recipe, in her words. Oh, and we used 3/4's of an 8 oz block of cheese, not 3/4 pounds.

Warm Chicken Salad:

Ingredients:
*1 12.5 oz. can of chunk, white meat chicken
*2 stalks celery, sliced (more if wanted)
*1 1/2 cups seedless grapes, sliced lengthwise (more if wanted)
*Onion powder to taste, or finely minced onion
*2 heaping tbs. mayonnaise (approximately)
*2 heaping tbs. sour cream (approximately)
*3/4 of an 8oz. brick of cheese (best I've used so far - Colby, Colby-Jack, Monterrey Jack
*Broken Potato Chips

Put chicken Juice from can into a container & save until later for soups or gravy, etc.

Add drained chicken, sliced celery, sliced grapes, & grated cheese in a bowl. Put mayo & sour cream on top, add onion powder, & carefully mix all three. Then mix everything real well. Heat in microwave 1 1/2 minutes. Put broken potato chips on top, and heat again for about a minute, until cheese is gooey. This salad is supposed to be warm, not hot.

Recipe, courtesy of D.J. Flowers

Last edited:
So...that would be 6 ounces of cheese? Is my math correct?

3/4 = 6/8 = 6 ounces of an 8 ounce brick of cheese. 5th grade's comming back to you, eh?

At 10 years old for 5th grade, that was 46 years ago. Man, that teacher ust have been good for me to remember that.:LOL: I believe his name was Mr. Garring, one of his hobbies was pottery. He'd bring in clay, have us make things, and then take them to his kiln and fire, and glaze them for us. I made an elephant, with tusks, and an ash tray. He was a great teacher, not like my 2nd grade teacher, who wrapped my knuckles with a ruler, because I wasn't working on my writing assignment. It didn't seem to matter to her that I was done with that assignment, and was practicing writing my name in cursive, something that she hadn't taught us yet. I think that was the period of time, in my young life, that I started to daydream. It kept my knuckles from being hit with a ruler when I finished before the rest of the class. Of course I got into trouble for that too.:angry:

And don't even get me started about the sadistic nuns at the Catholic school I was sent to. We ought to start a thread of trips down bad memory lane; subject - teachers. Well, maybe we shouldn't.

3/4 = 6/8 = 6 ounces of an 8 ounce brick of cheese. 5th grade's comming back to you, eh?

5th grade? Is that when we were supposed to learn that?:rolleyes: That kind of math never clicked until the last 20 years. To the dismay of many math teachers, even if I had the concept that day, by the next day it was gone.

On that "math problem" it took me some thinking to make it come out right. I am proud I didn't have to write it down to figure it out. Thanks for letting me know I did it right!!!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom