American Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davjhmcr

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I have traveled extensively in the U.S.recently and I am trying to put together a 3 course dinner party menu that represents authentic American Cuisine.
By that I mean that it has originated in America and is not evolved from Italian, Mexican or Dutch recipes. Any suggestions?

Interesting. Can't wait to see what people would suggest. But have you try to search our database? We have had similar conversations here, I'm sure.

I have learned from this forum, American is so wide and large that there is no true American cuisine. That is what I been told, instead one should ask state by state.

Hi,

I have traveled extensively in the U.S.recently and I am trying to put together a 3 course dinner party menu that represents authentic American Cuisine.
By that I mean that it has originated in America and is not evolved from Italian, Mexican or Dutch recipes. Any suggestions?

The easy answer is the typical Thanksgiving Day dinner. Roasted turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes with gravy, a dish made of corn, cranberry sauce,
and apple pie.

Hi,

Hmmm
IMHO, the only "authentic American Cuisine" would have to be from the Native, Indigenous peoples. To me anyways, that would include, but not limited to, Pre-Colombian Mexican, All Tribes/Nations from the "lower 48", All Alaskan Tribes and Hawaiian Peoples.

Thanks Kayelle, but OI think a lot of this came from England.

Turkeys, potatoes, corn and cranberries are all native to the Americas.

I agree with K'girl - look at Native American cuisines. However, you will find that they vary widely depending on which part of the country you choose. You will find seafood and shellfish like salmon, shrimp, clams and scallops on both coasts; trout, catfish, crawfish, etc., in the interior; deer, elk and bison; corn, beans and squash, known as The Three Sisters; blueberries, wild rice and all types of sweet and hot peppers. Lots of choices :)

Thanks Kayelle, but OI think a lot of this came from England.

How so? Turkey is a native species, I do believe cranberry along with corn are also native to the Americas.

When you say "America" are you limiting it to the USA? The great Central and South America civilizations (Mayan, Toltec, Chachapoya, Aztec and Inca) have contributed to the melting pot that is "American cuisine".

How about, pot roast, meatloaf or fried chicken and sides like mashed potatoes with gravy, peas, corn, green beans, a Jello molded salad, coleslaw, and an apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

At this point so many foods have spread around the world that it's hard to identify a dish that contains only native ingredients or is not influenced by another culture. Chili peppers, corn, peanuts, chocolate, potatoes, tomatoes, and vanilla originated in the New World and were adopted by others. Where would Asians be without chilies and Italians without tomatoes?

If you want something truly American I would suggest turducken. :)

Here's some entertaining reading:

34 famous foods invented in America

Origin of Species of Corn, Potatoes, and Tomatoes – and Some Other Interesting History - Cashman Nursery

Fried chicken, chili. Wow this is hard. As a melting pot, we have so many cuisines from all other the world, ha. Wife's grandparents are from the UK, and her other grandparents are from Eastern Europe. She makes a lot of eastern european recipes.

Maybe make some Buffalo or Bison hamburgers. Though the hamburger recipe is German.

Hi,

Your difficulty is looking for "authentic".
Cuisine has been and is an evolving thing.
What started out somewhere is tweaked as ingredient's and tastes change.
The United States is a melting pot of people and the foods they eat.
Always in a state of flux.

If you want to serve "authentic" American then you might look to dishing up Mc'D's, Burger King, Wendy's, TGIF, Olive Garden, Pizza Hut, KFC, Fuddruckers, etc, etc,..... And all of the premade foodstuffs found in the freezer case. :(

The USA has become very good at being able to get something in your belly for a low price with not much effort involved.

Years ago I had a friend in Europe ( forgot which country), and I remember she was telling me she had to stop by the ' American Store' on the way home from work to pick up some Mac and Cheese for dinner.

I always thought it was strange and actually laughed at it when she told me, cause I never really thought about there being an ' American Store' in other countries, until I realized that I shop at/ and refer to some of the stores i go to as the " Indian Store", and the " Asian Store " ... I wish I was still friendly with her, cause Id love to hear what else she got when she shopped there.

For me, when I think American Meal, Mac and Cheese, Good old Burger/ Hot Dog BBQ w/ corn , potato salad, macaroni salad...( even though I don't eat the burgers and dogs, but it just seems like its always been the typical Memorial day - Labor day weekend thing to do. Cant for get the apple pie too.

Back
Top Bottom