"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Head Chef

A strata is basically an egg type custard, savory. It is easy to put together ahead of time. Then again I do like quiches over strata's both of them are relatively easy to put together.

Here is one Strata recipe I have used in the past as a quick fix type meal.

Bread cubes - Day old French or Vienna bread is fine. I would cut it into fat cubes. Use the entire bread if small use two

Assorted veggies of your choice - I like to use green onions, assorted bell peppers, spinach and broccoli (you can use any meat you like)

Assorted spices - I like everything spicy so I add a finely chopped jalapeno, some ground cumin and lots of freshly chopped cilantro. You can add any herbs you like and omit the jalapeno

Assorted cheeses - I like cheddar and monterey jack and lots of it (about 2-3 cups). You can once again add whatever you like. Parmesean, Provolone and other hard cheeses work well too

Eggs - A couple of dozen (you can use one dozen for a large strata)

2 cups of half and half

Salt and Black Pepper to taste

1 stick of butter

3 tbsp of oil

1 cup of cheddar cheese for the top

In a large pan add the oil and sweat the veggies and meat. Once cooked season it with salt and pepper, add the herbs.

Beat the eggs and add the half and half to it. Next add the sweated veggies and meat. Melt the butter and pour it in. Next add the cheeses and reserve it on the side.

In a large foil or any oven proof tray layer the bread cubes and pour half the custard mix. Next layer more bread followed by the remaining custard.

Refrigerate overnight.

Sprinkle 1 cup cheddar on the top before baking. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and a knife inserted comes out clean.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thank you both for those recipes! I am starting to get a better picture of things I can serve......This is Great!!!

You've been very helpful!
Pauline

Old 04-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Isn't it amazing how a huge group of strangers from all over the world, come together to answer questions. This is such a nice site.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks Jan, yes it is.

I noticed you are an animal lover. I have a sable headed white collie pup.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Most of the people on this forum are real animal lovers! Your collie sounds beautiful and when you have some time, please post a picture. We love to oooh and aaah over our pets.

Whoops, I see his pic in your avatar - gorgeous!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Another Question Please....

I have a new challenge I forgot to consider. I am going to make a lasagna for the shower and a salad. (just because it is easy) My daughter in law is allergic to dairy, so I need to make something else to go with the lasagna that she can have.

Any one have recipes with Goat cheese?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #17
Head Chef

I love baby showers. Just set out a simple buffet consisting of a selection of crackers and cheese balls. Buy a veggie tray with dip and a fruit tray. (you don't have to trim the veggies & fruit yourself which always makes too much.) You can have a 2 qt picture of ice water or lemon water. At the end of the shower you can serve punch and cake (I really like the sheet cake from the baker that is decorated with little square borders and has a baby booties in each). You can set out some M&M candy bowls and peanut or cashew bowls in the party room. For games, you can have everyone guess the most common name for a boy and a girl. Another favorite game is charades. Place about 20 famous people's names in a container with a famous quote and have someone pick one and read the quote. Another game to play is pass the baby around. Wrap a baby doll in a blanket and during the party ask the guest of honor to have each guest to hold the baby for a little while. If she remembers to pass the baby around to all the guest, she wins. (prizes are just little while elephant gifts to laugh about, you can even ask the guest to bring one of their favorites to exchange). Next it is time to open gifts. Have a table ready to hold all the gifts so everyone can see them. Serve cake & punch. Have everyone to sign a guest book and write down their favorite baby names and best wishes beside their names. This helps people to know that the party is finished and they can bid you farewell.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I wanted to thank everyone for all their ideas and recipes. I had a very successful baby shower. There was plenty to eat and everyone seemed to enjoy what they had.

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

At my baby shower we had lasagna, rolls, salad, wings and deserts. That was it. Actually, if you didn't want to cook BJ's has some really good food for party's. Or instead of lasagna......baked macaroni with sauce. Everyone was happy at the shower. I'm trying to think if there was anything else.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
At my baby shower we had lasagna, rolls, salad, wings and deserts. That was it. Actually, if you didn't want to cook BJ's has some really good food for party's. Or instead of lasagna......baked macaroni with sauce. Everyone was happy at the shower. I'm trying to think if there was anything else.
The baby shower has already taken place - I think you may have missed that

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote