Thanksgiving Desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going simple--plain ol' apple pie. I don't like pumpkin pie and since I am in charge of T'giving, I am going simple. My Mom won't eat much, so the menu is scaled way back. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, squash, relish tray with pickled beets, B&B pickles, dill pickles. Apple pie for dessert. I can't do cranberry sauce because of the meds my Mom is on, so no cranberry sauce. I can't do anything spicy because of my Dad's issue with bleeding from his prostate, so I can't make my cranberry salsa or my pickled shrimp. Everything will be fairly bland. I invited a neighbour and her husband because I don't want to deal with the leftovers for a week. And, she didn't want to cook a turkey for two people.

How about the cherry sauce I posted above, instead of cranberry something? It has balsamic vinegar, which gives it a little zing and a nice counterpoint to the richness of the rest of the menu. We really like it.

No cherries in the house...but I do have blueberries...hmmmmm....balsamic vinegar....limited pantry here...at home, I have two jars of sour cherries that would work.

Dw made an apple pie using the apples we picked back in early October.

My eldest sister is coming over and is the baker in my family. So far, I know she made some kind of sweet potato pie and a chocolate zucchini bread, but she also said that she'll be making some Norwegian desserts. She said krumkaker plus a few extra surprises. I can't wait to see.

I made a butterscotch cream pie. Just put the cooled filling in the cooled crust and into thefridge it went. I'll make fresh whipped cream using the shake it baby shake it method, probably will use some light brown sugar.

This year I was invited to the family dinner, which felt a little strange since I'm divorced, and technically no longer "family." But I guess after 20 some years they still consider me part of the group. My ex didn't seem to mind and, to be honest, I was very appreciative of the invitation. The family photo taking was weird, though. :LOL:

In addition to bringing my traditional not-your-mama's-green-bean-casserole, I also brought a low carb dessert: a three layer pumpkin cheesecake pie.

img_1488858_0_ee30273888715382d93cf3f3848aec2e.jpg

This year I was invited to the family dinner, which felt a little strange since I'm divorced, and technically no longer "family." But I guess after 20 some years they still consider me part of the group. My ex didn't seem to mind and, to be honest, I was very appreciative of the invitation. The family photo taking was weird, though. :LOL:

In addition to bringing my traditional not-your-mama's-green-bean-casserole, I also brought a low carb dessert: a three layer pumpkin cheesecake pie.

img_1488863_0_ee30273888715382d93cf3f3848aec2e.jpg

Steve, that looks delicious. :yum:
And how great is that to be included in the family gatherings, even though it might feel a little bit uncomfortable now. You are one of the lucky ones, as I was...my ex and I have been divorced for 20 years now and have still managed to be together during biggie family gatherings - our daughter's graduation, wedding, and then biting our nails together years later in the waiting room at the hospital when our daughter was delivering our first grandchild 6 years ago. It'll get easier. :)

Last edited:
Steve,

My mom's family did that with my dad, even after he got remarried. I highly suspect some of them liked him better than her. I know for a fact my maternal GF did and thought she was an idiot for divorcing him, and after I was an adult and found out exactly why, kind of agree with him.

Last edited:
Yeah, having the ex to a family gathering can become contentious. My ex-DIL still calls me on the phone for help with a recipe or other stuff. And my son is still invited to his ex-wife parents gathering. Along with me.

There are two grand and great grand children involved. Why punish them?

This year I was invited to the family dinner, which felt a little strange since I'm divorced, and technically no longer "family." But I guess after 20 some years they still consider me part of the group....
I've joked that Himself and I have stayed married so long (42 years this past Wednesday) because his cousins are WAY cooler than mine! Somewhere around the 20-25 year mark his cousin Kathy started to tell me that even if I divorced Himself, I could still join in on the family fun. Nah, I think I'll just keep the guy...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom