"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Wow... almost makes me not want to use an oven ^^

Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

i cooked my 17lb turkey in a plug in roaster oven that my sister gave me for a gift. she found it on sale for about $20. It was perfect . I simply did it to free up my oven.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
You can cut the turkey up and boil it. As far as the sweet potatoes, you can bake them in the toaster oven and then top them with a struesel made with butter, brown sugar, a little flour, cinnamon, pecans and miniture marshmallows and then return them to the toaster oven to brown the struesel... or you can just boil the sweet potatoes and mix them with some butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. For the pies, you could make fried pies filled with apple pie filling.
A "boiled" Thanksgiving dinner? I don't think so. . . . . That would be sad.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
Master Chef

What about a dutch oven? You can make pretty decent meal in it. I guess it all depends on what is available and your budget.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Head Chef

The best turkey breast I have ever eaten I prepared in a crockpot. Here's the recipe: One envelope Lipton's Onion Soup + One large turkey breast. Cook on high for an hour, then turn to low and cook 6-8 hours. You can add rub some butter and additional spices on the turkey if you want, and maybe add some celery and onion for the gravy that results, but it is so tender and moist.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have a GE electric roaster that has gotten me through many holidays. Great appliance and cooks a large turkey beautifully. You might want to purchase one of these appliances.

I've also used it to make huge batches of stew or chili for potluck events and, one Thanksgiving, I baked my sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and heated my rolls all at the same time. Freed my oven up for other tasks.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
Master Chef

I've used Nesco Electric Roaster , came in handy when I didn't have enough room in the oven.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
How about using a grill or smoker? Cut the Turkey in to sections and cook on a smoker. Use a closed grill as an oven. I made potato gratin for 12 in a grill using a dutch oven. Put a baking sheet down first to re direct the heat around the sides of the vessel.
We've cooked whole turkeys on the grill, and they were great, and smoked ones are even better. You could also deep-fry the whole turkey...fried turkey is delicious, juicy and tender.
Mashed potatoes and gravy can be made on top of the stove...dressing and cobbler can be cooked in a dutch oven on the grill or in the crock pot.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Master Chef

Constance - the OP lives in an apartment. She said she has a stovetop & a toaster oven, & might be able to pick up a crockpot. Don't think grilling facilities are in the cards. And deep-frying a whole turkey in an apartment? Definitely not safe.

While I'm not familiar with grocery offerings in Korea, I'd suggest buying turkey parts or breaking down a whole bird & cooking the pieces on the stovetop. Brown first, then add some broth & braise covered until done in one or more deep skillets. Any/all sides can easily be done on the stovetop or in the toaster oven or a crockpot.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Bought my folks a Large Farberware countertop convection oven years ago. They liked to use it for roasting turkeys. Perhaps you can purchase a similar type which will run on whatever current is standard in Korea.

You might want to check out-
Nesco / American Harvest 4808-25 - 18 Qt. Porcelain Roaster Oven in Stainless Steel