"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

It looks like the coupon books families received varied depending on the size and makeup of the family and the kind of work they did. I don't know how easy it would be to put together a list of what was available to an individual. Also from what I've read, some things, like oranges, were not available at all. http://www.ameshistory.org/exhibits/.../rationing.htm

Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
I grew up in the 1950's learning how to cook from 5 aunts and my mum who were all smashing cooks. These women were inventive, shrewd and and fed families on practically no extras that we take for granted today. They would make tasty, filling and honest dinners. OK, so they weren't going to win 'Masterchef' but nothing ever seemed to faze them. I still have a weakness for homemade bread and strawberry jam or a roly poly pudding and custard. When I grew up and was a young mum and we were really hard-up I knew how to feed us well. All thanks to those wonderful ladies.
The best education is at your mother's side. Some of the best recipes written were found in Woman's Day magazine and others like them. And a lot of those recipes were taken and improved upon by mothers like yours.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Master Chef

From what I have seen so far I would need to reduce my use of processed/rationed meat, fat and cheese. I think the limit was 2 1/2 pounds per person/week. I would also need to reduce or be careful with canned tomato products. I would have to pinch a little on the coffee, one pound every five weeks for each person over the age of fifteen. Eggs, chicken and fresh local produce produce were not rationed so I would be in good shape with that. It would get a little monotonous for me in the winter and early spring if I had to rely on only fresh carrots, squash, cabbage, onions etc...

It looks like we were in much better shape than the folks in England.

I would also be fine with the three gallon per week gas ration, that would be a tough one for many people today.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
From what I have seen so far I would need to reduce my use of processed/rationed meat, fat and cheese. I think the limit was 2 1/2 pounds per person/week. I would also need to reduce or be careful with canned tomato products. I would have to pinch a little on the coffee, one pound every five weeks for each person over the age of fifteen. Eggs, chicken and fresh local produce produce were not rationed so I would be in good shape with that. It would get a little monotonous for me in the winter and early spring if I had to rely on only fresh carrots, squash, cabbage, onions etc...

It looks like we were in much better shape than the folks in England.

I would also be fine with the three gallon per week gas ration, that would be a tough one for many people today.
Living so close to the sea, and having kids that would dig for clams and the fishing fleet just about four blocks from where we lived allowed my mother to save all her meat coupons until the end of the month and then it was feast time. We ate a heck of a lot of sea food and fish. To this day, I still love clams and other fish. But they are now priced out of my limit. And I am too old to go digging for clams. Along with the fishing fleet moving into Boston down on Northern Avenue, you almost have to have a security clearance to get on the dock. So that is out of reach also.

Sometimes for a treat, she would make me a cup of tea (she always got two cups out of one tea bag.) along with toast. Other times it was a cup of weak cocoa with evaporated milk. That tin of cocoa lasted for many cups.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Sous Chef

This was a super series on BBCI hope this link works but if not, go to youtube and search; BBC Wartime farm episode 1, and take it from there. The Christmas episode was particularly interesting

wartime farm episode 1 - YouTube

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Wonder if it was necessary

My father told me that during U.S. gas rationing, in the Air Corps they had an abundance and would even use it to clean parts on the planes. I wonder if a lot of the food rationing was the same thing i.e. government waste and ineptitude, mal-appropriation of resources by central planners, etc.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I watched the series on TVO. It was very enlightening. Farmers' contribution to the war effort was to eek more food out of their lands. This involved introducing more efficient means of farming. I complain about how much work it can be to harvest and preserve food. At least I have electricity and indoor plumbing!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I watched the series on TVO. It was very enlightening. Farmers' contribution to the war effort was to eek more food out of their lands. This involved introducing more efficient means of farming. I complain about how much work it can be to harvest and preserve food. At least I have electricity and indoor plumbing!
Farming is not the easiest job in the world. And under war conditions is was even more difficult. Almost everyone is this country had Victory gardens. And for those that didn't could go to the Community gardens. They would take an empty lot where once a house or building stood and till it for farming. They were all over the city here. We may not have had a lot of meat, but we sure had plenty of vegetables. And some of them had greenhouses so there were veggies available for winter.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Master Chef

I was born in the dead of winter on a farm in Minnesota in 1943. My mother hoarded gas stamps, determined it would be her last winter there. When she finally had enough, she told my Dad she was going home to California with me and hoped he would come too, and he agreed. Atta girl Mom...you've always been my hero.

Because they had a farm at the time (a pump in the sink, no electricity) she never said much about rationing, except for gasoline.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I know my mom used to talk about all the ways my grandma could stretch a head of cabbage and tomatoes to feed them for a week. Of course, grandma made her own bread and had laying hens. During the winter, my grandma's canned tomatoes were front and center almost every meal during the depression. It was only my mom, grandma, and grandpa. My mom's brothers were 10 and 12 years older and were not living at home...they both ended up in Hawaii after Pearl Harbour.