Alcoholism.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm very happy to report that my friend is out of detox, has done very well, and has officially sworn off drinking any alcoholic beverages!! He says that he's completely dried out now.

He told he last night when I finally saw him, that he no longer has the desire to touch another drink that contains any alcohol ever again! He has a much newer, better and brighter outlook about things, has decide to make a complete 360-degree turnaround / come around, and he has thanked me wholeheartedly for standing behind him and giving him the encouragement and support to kick his drinking habit. In fact, he just can't stop thanking me enough. I told him that I'm very proud of him and his achievments so far!!

I mentioned to him that the road ahead may be his toughest test of all. But he seems to be clear about one thing. That he doesn't ever want to go back to the way that he's been!! And so far, he hasn't touched any alcohol since he's been out! I'm going with him to an AA meeting tonight. I also told him that his expreience can help others who may be drowning in the sea of alcohol like he was.

He wants to work through the program that he's in so that he can clear his name of any glitches with the law. I'm still there for him and will continue to
be.

Let's all hope that he continues on the straight and narrow! He's a real trooper now!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
It's now day 6 since my friend Daquan was released from the detox center, and he STILL hasn't touch any alcohol!!!

I'm very proud of him. I praised him immensely for his efforts. He's been holding his own so far!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!

My efforts to work with him and help him stay on the right track really seems to be paying off big time!! My guess is that he's tired of being restricted because he can't get decent housing or a job, and wants to get through the community work program to try to clear his record and his name.

I'm going to, and will continue to show some love, guidance and support for him all the way!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine are great friends of mine.

But I want quality, and I do my best to limit my intake. That way they stay friends. No abstinence for me!

Tobacco: only cigars, usually good quality (Cuban) and only 3 times a week or so.

Wine: no cheap wine, only a meals, and usually no more than half a bottle. Recently went a week without wine and am not a slave to it.

Coffee: 3-4 strong espresso coffees a day.

I realize that some people can't handle moderation, but I can. I will not criticize the abstainers, but certainly won't accept their criticism of my lifestyle!

All the best,
Alex R.

I DO still drink, but only in moderation, since it can have an adverse affect on diabetics. Alcohol has absolutely no nutritional value at all, and has tons of sugar at times, depending on the amount of percentage by volume.

But I don't smoke or chew tobaco of ANY kind, nor do I do any recrational drugs. Only those that are prescribed by my doctor.

I pretty much live on a healthier diet and lifestyle now, and since my friend
Daquan has stopped drinking, he's now eating more, which is good, and he has pushed aside most of the junk food that he's been eating. He drinks lots and lots of water, has introduced healthier foods into his diet and lifestyle and he basically pretty much feels good about himself all over, now that there are no traces of alcohol in his system!!

I can't even BEGIN to tell you that I'm so impressed at the truly amazing progress that he's made from where he seemed headed a little over two weeks ago!! He no longer gets sick to the point where he would puke his brains out, and he is able to keep food down in his stomach, has a much more positive outlook on life as a whole!! I truly commend him for the stunning 360-degree turn-around that he's made!!!

And I STILL will be there for him to support and encourage him. He also tells me that if we had not met, that he probably STILL would have been drinking his life away and might not have made this drastic change without someone caring and
supporting him.

That makes me fell so good inside that I'm able to help him get out of the dangerous lifestyle that eventually would have killed him, that he was in and saved him from the many dangers associated with drinking to excess!!!

And now, to try to convince him that cigarette smoking is also dangerous. He knows it is, and I hope that he'll stop doing that soon, as well.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
About trying to get him to stop smoking - he just may whack you over the head with the closest object! lol j/k I'm glad he's eating so well! He's got to feel so much better!

alcoholic

I myself am a recovering alcoholic. I have been dry for 20 years. There is NOTHING you can do to get him to stop drinking. He has to have the want to. Just continue to be there for him when he needs you and DO NOT BE AN ENABLER. Why don't you yourself go to AA and find out all you can and become well informed. That way you will be able to help him even more. JUST BE THERE.
Corey123 said:
Are you, a family member or a dear friend that you have, an alcoholic? Do you know how to get help for that person, or do you have any suggestions on how to help someone who is an alocoholic?:ermm:

I have a dear friend whom I met in May who is an alcoholic. He loves to drink on weekends, and this past weekend, he drank to excess. He mainly drinks shots of vodka and beer I felt at the time when I first met him, that he was reaching out for help and that he didn't know who to turn to. I STILL feel that way.:)

He told me that he wants me to be his mentor, and I told him that I'd be very happy to. Oh, his girlfriend is also an alcoholic! He IS in a program during the week which helps him stay clean (no alcohol in his urine). He also told me that I'm the best friend that he's ever had.:)

He told me that his alcoholism goes back to when he was at home with his siblings and parents and he was rejected by them all. I really want to help him get over this, and I've been trying so hard, but I can only do so much. Hopefully, he'll at least slow down soon and ween himself off of it, but I want him to be in good health.

I know what alcohol can do to some people. I lost one of my brothers to alcoholism and diabetes, and I don't want to lose my friend to anything tragic. Any suggestions?:ermm:

~Corey123.

drinking

I quit drinking about 20 years ago and I quit smoking about 8 months ago. Between the 2, quit smoking was by far the hardest of all. I have gained a lot of weight etc etc but I WILL NOT GIVE INTO SOMETHING SO STUPID AS A PIECE OF PAPER WRAPPED AROUND SOME TABACCO. I have more control over my life that. Now all I gotta do is lose the weight. Thats got to be really easy as compared to the other 2.
mudbug said:
one vice at a time, Corey. I'm still struggling with the ciggie thing, and it's a b*tch. Might even be worse than the booze.

He's still holding his own though, I'm very pleased to say!!.

Last night was a test. On the way home from work last night, I purposely made a stop to a liquor store to get two 40-oz bottles of Budweiser. I stopped at him and his girlfriend's place.

I sat up with him, talking to him until the wee hours of the morning. We touched on a lot of subjects - from his troubled past to the present.

AND NOT ONCE DID HE EVER BECOME ENTICED TO START DRINKING ANY OF THE BEER!! He drank soda and water instead. I told him that I'm amazed at the fact that he never even wanted any of the beer. I told him that it was a test to really see just how much willpower he has!

He said he knew, deep down, that I was testing him out to see how much willpower he has. He also told me that he won't go to the AA meetings right away because the people who have had bouts with alcoholism will start trying to put the subject back into his head again on drinking to excess.

We must take things one day at a time. I can't rush him or try to make him go to one sooner, or he may rebel against me, and I don't want that to happen. As for the smoking, yes, he'll probably quit it. But things have to be worked out so that in time, he'll wake up and smell the coffee.

~Corey123.

corey123

I am very glad that your friend is doing better. I had a old boyfriend who was an alcoholic but would not admit to it.

I tried time after time to get some help. I even tried getting him into a 12 Step Program but he kept saying that having 5 or 6 drinks when he got home from work was normal. On the weekends he didn't stop drinking.

Again corey I am so happy for your friend.

Last edited:
mish said:
Corey, with all due respect, you are very misguided. It has been mentioned here that you are an enabler. I reserved my judgement and opinions, but since everyone here has given you theirs, here's mine. Go to a coda meeting. Your friend got out of detox, went back to living with an alcoholic girlfirend, won't go to a support group, and you want to entice him/test the waters, and now you want him to give up smoking.

I followed your posts, and hoped to read that your friend followed up with an aftercare plan - i.e. he is living in a sober living house - and with your friendship - prior to his coming back to cohabitating with an addict - you might volunteer to put his belongings in storeage & help finalize his rental agreement (if he was renting) - and move in with a relative or sleep on your couch if need be.

Putting temptation in front of him, and expecting him to give up smoking or anything else, after getting out of medical detox, & making up your own steps is all about you - not your friend. Trained professionals here have given you advice, but you want to run the show. LET GO!!!

There are outpatient programs, partial hospitalization programs, many avenues for recovery. You are hurting your friend - not helping him - and making him dependent on you and your tests & opinions of what he should do. You are NOT a trained professional.

This is a friendly forum, and many topics of life have been brought up/discussed here. Observation, your post had a lightbulb - re ideas - re this topic, but reading your posts, you already have your own ideas and what is right for another person.

You and many people may have lived with a person or known a person with an addiction - suffering from substance abuse/food/overeating/sex/neurosis/tobacco/prescription drugs, etc. It is up to the individual to want to make a change, not up to you to decide what is in the best interests of anyone but yourself.

You're trying to make is sound like I'm using him to make only ME look good and not him. How dare you talk to me likat that!! That is an outrageous lie!

I think you got your stuff wrong, some of it, at least. I NEVER ONCE said that I want to entice him, and I can't make him leave his girlfriend if he doesn't want to. Where else can he go to live, back out in the streets? He doesn't get much money, as he's on a very limited income and he can't afford an apartment all by himself right now.

Sure, he can stay with me if he wants to, but he wants to try to work things out with his girlfriend now.

I'm trying to HELP him make the changes, not make or force him to make the changes. When did I ever say that I was a trained professional? Please stop putting words in my mouth. Stop accusing me of running the show.

And how in the **** is it all just about me? You sound very disallussioned! I never once said or thought for even so much as for one minute to take all of the thunder for myself only, so please be careful what you say and stay in line.

I'm really trying to help him, not hurt him. And he knows this, because he can't stop thanking me enough. AND FOR THE LAST TIME, HE DID NOT TOUCH ANY ALCOHOL AT ALL SO FAR, SINCE HE CAME OUT OF DETOX!!!

So please stop this badgering.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
shpj4 said:
I am very glad that your friend is doing better. I had a old boyfriend who was an alcoholic but would not admit to it.

I tried time after time to get some help. I even tried getting him into a 12 Step Program but he kept saying that having 5 or 6 drinks when he got home from work was normal. On the weekends he didn't stop drinking.

Again corey I am so happy for your friend.

Thank you so much for those kind words!

And yes, he IS doing very well!! He's tired of having to go through life being scrutinized and having to urinate in a cup to check his alcohol level.

I hope sincerely, that he's turned over a new lease on life and has thought better of himself!! I commend him everyday on his amazing willpower to keep his guard up and for not letting alcohol entice him back into his old ways!!!:)

Last edited:
I am sorry you are upset. I think you misunderstood. I have deleted the post, and wish you and your friend all the best. I recently lost a friend to alcoholism, and it still hurts.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've recently lost a friend to alcoholism. Please accept my most sincere condolences during this most difficult time for you. I'm also sorry that I got upset with you. I didn't really mean to.

I lost a brother to the disease almost two years ago. But he also was a diabetic as well and ate very unhealthy food, also ( too many starches and sweets).

I might have misunderstood your post, but I was upset because I felt that you might have been attacking me. Daquan IS doing very well, for I don't want to lose him to any dreaded diseases.

Though it may be hard for his girlfriend to see the light, I hope that he can in some way convince her to make some drastic changes as well.

She is suffering from resperitory problems. Him and I think that it's coming from her extremely heavy smoking. She has a very chronic cough that scares the living **** out of me sometimes. It's usually in the morning that she is coughing uncontrollably.

She is supposed to go into the hospital soon and have the spot removed from her right lung. Docs still have yet to tell her just exactly what it is, since a biopsy was done on it about three weeks ago!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
My friend is doing VERY WELL! He STILL has not touched any alcohol since his drying out, but as for his girlfriend, I kindly explained to him that I can no longer try to help her because she deliberately continues to drink and smoke and won't try to get help. Unless she goes out and tries to seek professional help, which she does not seem to be willing to do.

He says that he understands, and told me that he's so glad that I helped get him out from under the clutches of alcoholism. He says that he feels very good about himself and not being drunk any more. But if anything happens to his girlfriend, I think he'll be so heartbroken!! I sincerely hope that nothing happens to her.

But If it ever does, I must be there to try to console and comfort him. She may have to have half of her right lung removed. We're not completely sure yet, but it may have to be done. It's from her heavy smoking addiction for many, many, many years. I would hate to find out how her liver is doing!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I have a friend whose daughter (still in her 30's) passed away about a year ago from alcoholism. I never even knew she drank, but hadn't seen her in a few years. It was really sad. She had two kids who are being raised by their grandparents. I wish all the ads for alcohol had to be accompanied by visuals of the heartbreak that can result from excessive drinking.

I'm so sorry to hear of that. My condolences go out to you for your friend's daughter.

Alcoholism is a very terrible disease that's as bad as cancer or AIDS, and even though there is no known cure as yet for AIDS, I hope that anyone who has an alcoholic in their life, be it a friend, spouse or family member, I suggest that that person try to get some help for the victim.

But at the same time, the victim of the abuse MUST want to try to get some professional help for himself or herself as well. Otherwise trying to help the victim won't work.

But I'm so glad that my dear friend now sees the light and has woken up and smelled the coffee!!! I commmend him very honorably for his bravery against the perils of the disease of alcohol abuse!

He now wants to start anew and work toward accomplishing some of the goals that he missed out on before because of his once severe chronic alcohol addiction. And I'm so proud to say that I will still continue to support and be there for him. He's just like a brother to me now - like the one whom I had and lost so tragically!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that my husband & I have been members of twelve step programs for many years now and it doesn't matter if you are and atheist, a devout Chritian, a Muslim or a Wiccan, AA or any other program is for you. Your higher power does not have to be God in a Christian sense. It can be the program itself. Anyone and everyone is welcome!

Back
Top Bottom