"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Alternatives to grains and rice

This may sound weird, but I suspect that I have gluten intolerance or rice intolerance. I have decided to stop eating both grains and rice in the next two months to see if I'll feel better..

I have breathing difficulties and shortness of breath and many other symptoms typical of gluten intolerance (celiac disease). If I continue to feel miserable after two months of not eating grains, I will ask my doctor for a test...

It's not easy to stop eating bread, pasta and other grains, and I was wondering what might be good substitutes for grains and rice.

I'm going to make lentils and freeze them in portions. Mashed potato is also good, since I could keep it in the fridge for about three days, I think. Hummus may be a good idea too, but I wonder what else I could eat regularly (instead of bread)???

Unfortunately, rice, pasta and bread were staples of my diet :(

Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Correction: eating rice is usually allowed for people with gluten intolerance, but not the other way around; if you have rice intolerance you may not be able to eat grains either. That's why I have stopped eating both

Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Head Chef

How about potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas, peanuts, and other legumes?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
DC Grandma

Google Celiac Disease.( gluten intolerance) My husband had this but wouldn't follow the rules.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
google "gluten free blog"
Old 02-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

I have been through the "elimination diet" that dietitians give out to discover food allergies. They do not suggest cutting out rice and grains at the same time. In fact, you start with the very basic of foods, turkey and rice. These are supposed to have the fewest allergies.

I was first tested for dairy and then for wheat and was found to have some problems with refined wheat. I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease and followed that diet for 5 years before I realized I wasn't feeling better so I started putting whole grains back into my diet and I do fine.

You can be tested for celiac now with a blood test but you can't have been on a wheat free diet or it will not be accurate. I would talk to your doctor before going on any type of diet on your own.

My husband is both gluten and lactose intolerant and now has an ulcer....talk about a difficult diet to control!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Senior Cook

How about millet, quinoa, wild rice, buckwheat
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I'm not sure how readily available they are in Europe but a couple of our Latin American staples, yuca (cassava) and plantains, might work in your diet and give you some nice variety.

Good luck!
"Im going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Im going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember its always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Everymom

I'm not sure how readily available some things are for you, but you can bake with potato flour. It makes lovely bread. Give that a go.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
How about potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas, peanuts, and other legumes?
Yes, that's what comes to mind, but it's a bit hard when I'm away from home. I won't eat at restaurants, other people's houses or at work etc. I'm very serious about this..