"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The same can be said for fat. I've been on a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet for the past three years. The thing about fat is that, unlike carbs and protein, it has zero effect on your blood glucose or insulin release. Plus it's a good source of fuel. I was completely astounded at how much weight came off so quickly (I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks, even eating 2500 calories a day) and, because of all the fat, I never once felt hungry.

People still believe fat by itself causes clogged arteries. It doesn't. Believe me. My cholesterol and blood work were better after three months on this diet than in the 10 years prior. It's only when fat is combined with simple carbohydrates that it becomes a problem.

Interesting ....

What kind of stuff do you eat on a high fat diet? What don't you eat?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Interesting ....

What kind of stuff do you eat on a high fat diet? What don't you eat?
You know, Jenny, when I tell people "high fat" they sometimes get the impression I sit down at the table and eat a stick of butter, but nothing like that, and nothing really bizarre.

It isn't too difficult to get a lot of fat in one's diet, since a gram of fat has more than twice the calories in a gram of protein or carbohydrate.

I lost just under 100 pounds eating like this. I gained some weight back over the holidays and winter months, but also because I moved somewhere where there wasn't a gym conveniently located.

Things I eat:
  • Fatty cuts of meat (ribeye, pork shoulder, chicken thighs, sausages, fattier fish, organ meats)
  • Vegetables, but I try to stick to mostly green varieties that grow above ground
  • Fruits, but I stick mostly to melons and berries, and I have to watch my quantities a little
  • Nuts, again watching quantities
  • Full fat dairy, including plenty of cream in my coffee
  • Homemade mayo
  • Creamy dressings and vinaigrettes
  • Dry red wine, coffee, tea.

I also cook with a lot of EVOO/avocado/coconut oil, and dress vegetables in oil as well.

Things I don't eat - or rarely eat:
  • Sugar (I suppose that's a given)
  • Lean meats, such as chicken breast. If I do, only with the skin on.
  • Rice, and most grains
  • Bread
  • Pasta
  • Potatoes
  • bananas
  • Some root vegetables
  • Diet soft drinks

Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Master Chef

Thanks for that list, Steve. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. and change up my diet - after I get back from vacation. Eggs are also on your list of allowable eats, right?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thanks for that list, Steve. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. and change up my diet - after I get back from vacation. Eggs are also on your list of allowable eats, right?
Yes, lots of eggs. I can't believe I forgot that. I eat around 1 to 2 dozen a week.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
Master Chef

Wow, that's quite a bit. I eat eggs almost every day, too - love 'em.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
"You are most likely to feel fuller after eating protein than other nutrients, including fiber, and one of the theories behind why higher-protein diets work well with weight loss is because it helps you not feel hungry," says Purdue University nutrition professor Wayne Campbell, PhD."

Try hard boiled eggs and low fat cheese for snacks and add more lean protein to your meals
When I switched to eating my biggest meal in the morning, I packed it with steamed greens, a grain and two eggs or other protein. I was a size 14 now a size 6. The point was to consume most of my food for the day by 2 p.m. Evening meal is often just the protein I make for others. I also eliminated bread, sugar and pasta. The weight falls off and the protein keeps you full. Almonds (about 10) are another good snack that curbs hunger. I also drink a glass a water with lemon or Apple cider vinegar 15 minutes before eating or if I am hungry.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:21 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't stepped on a scale for years--i turn my back when I step on the scale at my Dr office. People have been telling me I am tiny lately--i am 5 ft 6 ". Not tiny, but I decided to measure my waist. Okay, I have a 22-1/2" waist, so I guess that's tiny for s/one my height and 58 yrs old.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:44 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I haven't stepped on a scale for years--i turn my back when I step on the scale at my Dr office. People have been telling me I am tiny lately--i am 5 ft 6 ". Not tiny, but I decided to measure my waist. Okay, I have a 22-1/2" waist, so I guess that's tiny for s/one my height and 58 yrs old.
Gosh! 22 inch waist does sound tiny. My waist is 28 inches on the dot.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Gosh! 22 inch waist does sound tiny. My waist is 28 inches on the dot.
After six times, I realized there was nothing wrong with my tape measure. My waist is 22-1/2 inches, if I suck in my stomach, it probably is 22 inches.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
After six times, I realized there was nothing wrong with my tape measure. My waist is 22-1/2 inches, if I suck in my stomach, it probably is 22 inches.
You are very small. I am 5 ft 10 and also slender. Gained a bit of weight in the past 5 years and have healthy curves for a change. Just look after yourself and make sure your weight loss is not health related like mine was. Look after yourself. Don't go fading away on me girl.

Tags
food