"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-09-2005, 02:37 AM   #1
Head Chef

I've hit a speed bump...

Man, I've been having a lot of trouble keeping up my workouts lately. My workdays are averaging 12-14 hours over the last month or so, and between the hours and the stress I'm finding it awfully hard to do anything when I get home. Hopefully things will be better once I get thru the next two weeks- we have two very big Saturdays in a row coming up, but after than things should calm down a little...or so I hope.

I've been "stuck" at 184-185 for a couple weeks now. I think I just have to get back to steady workouts to get back in gear again. Probably I have about 15 or so pounds left to go (bear in mind, I've lost about 100 so far!). The last ones are gonna be the tough ones!

Old 09-09-2005, 02:43 AM   #2
Cook

can't really help you on what you should do, shounds like you are doing great. Keep up the hard work...

Cook: Well then, I will have to become perfect.
ch3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
Cook

Apple Cider Vinegar strikes again...

I would suggest starting to take a little apple cider vinegar. Mix 2 tsp raw honey with 8 oz warm water to dissolve, add 2 tsp raw, unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar (I prefer Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar) and drink. Start doing this just 1xday for a couple days and then go to 2xday, once in the morning, once at night. A couple days later you can go to 3xday if you'd like, but I wouldn't recommend more than 3xday (any more won't give you more benefit than the 3xday will). I gave some info about ACV in a previous thread here (scroll to post #18).
Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Rob, could you take 15 minutes or so during your work day to do a little workout? Like close the door and do some pushups or jumping jacks, or walk outside on a break?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Master Chef

Little things mean a lot ...

Rob - you're doing great! Everyone hits plateaus ... don't sweat it!

Little things everyone can do to get a little more exercise every day .... always take the stairs when you can, park at the back of the parking lot so you have to walk farther ... etc.

After your evening meal ... take a walk for about 30-minutes. No - not an aerobic workout, a stroll. You'll burn some calories, and you'll relax ... if you take time to enjoy nature around you.

THe best "total body" exercise is swimming ... then riding a bike (single speed - not a 3-speed or 10-speed - just and old fashioned bike) ... and dancing for 2-3 hours a night (mix of slow and fast) will do wonders for not only your love handles but also your love life.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I would like to know more about the workout that has produced such wonderful results so far. As soon as my pt is finished I hope to start on a program to reduce some weight. Good luck on resuming what sounds like a new life.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

Hang in there, Rob. You're incredibly determined so I have faith you'll be able to get over this plateau. My hubby's going through the same thing right now. He has a little more left to drop than you and hasn't lost quite as much but 200 seems to be his sticking point. He just can't get under it. His work days sound similar to yours. Add in eating on the road with coworkers and it's really tough!

He's been doing a lot of yard work and that has been really good supplemental exercise since he hasn't been making it to the gym. And I try extra hard to have healthy meals for him when he is home.

How's your sleep been? DH has been feeling run down and not sleeping as much as he'd like. He says he's noticed that definitely affects his weight loss.

You'll make it! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Head Chef

Don't get discouraged, Rob! Just keep on keepin' on...you're doin' great!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Focus on your success. 100 pounds is fantastic and didn't come easy. A temporary 'rest' stop is OK. You'll get back on track and finish the job.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcardon
I would suggest starting to take a little apple cider vinegar. Mix 2 tsp raw honey with 8 oz warm water to dissolve, add 2 tsp raw, unfiltered, organic apple cider vinegar (I prefer Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar) and drink. Start doing this just 1xday for a couple days and then go to 2xday, once in the morning, once at night. A couple days later you can go to 3xday if you'd like, but I wouldn't recommend more than 3xday (any more won't give you more benefit than the 3xday will). I gave some info about ACV in a previous thread here (scroll to post #18).
Thanks for reminder. Have heard this most of my life but do I do it? Seems there are other things I have to do that I forget. I do thank you amcardon for posting this. I agree if you do it that it does make a difference. Most people at Whole Foods store would agree. Isn't as expensive as some other things and it isn't the prettiest package but I do believe in it. You seem like you are believer too. Now all I have to do is remember. Thanks again.