"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Weather and exercising

Since the weather is starting to change here, I have been exercising more. I have to walk along a highway due to the fact that other places I have tried all caused me conflict. Many of you remember my dilima I won't go into details. I haven't been able to get to the computer from trying to adjust the time for walking but what a feeling one gets from having their blood move. I even sleep better. I wish you all the same feeling I get from making effort to treat my body in the way it serves me. Words can't express how up it makes one feel.

One secret I have is that I invested in an iPod so anyone saying something derogatory to me I will not be able to hear. Sad that you have to cut off the good people because of the bad. I can't figure out if people are resentful because you have motivation or if they are just not happy about themselves. Every day i give it to God and let Him help me make it another day. I feel alive when i move and thank Him for it. My cousin who had been crippled for more than 20 years with inherited disease just passed away last week. I believe my prayers were answered and he is walking now. this is only my belief and don't want to influence no one. Having had this kind of disease in the family and knowing I could have been just like he was, depending on others. I know you all would have liked him for the simple reason no one was a stranger to him. He loved people and always had a smile for them. He found fault with no one. He was true inspiration to the entire family. His funeral consisted of more than 100 cars. One would not believe that so many would attend someone who had been confined to the home for so long. This was proof to me he reached out to everyone.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Everymom

ITK, how wonderful that you are out walking! Smart idea with the iPod too.

(Are you still finding time to watch 24? Its a two hour one this Monday)

Old 03-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Alix

Good to know you are around! Like having a anchor in a storm. You have always helped me, thanks!! i got a kind comment from Ken about your birthday. Sounds like sweet man. You deserve him. Life is so much better when you have support.

I do get to watch 24 but only day or two later. Everything gets put in different place when you change your day. Alix, you think Jack is going to get killed? I like the guy named Curtis. He really has stayed with group for long time. The way Jack's daughter is showing up makes me wonder if they are going to put the show to rest. I get so involved in that show. Maybe too much that is why I am doing the walking. I like that girl Chloe and Edgar. They sure look like two complete different personalities. something like my family.

Are you walking w/ Ken? I would walk with him. I wouldn't need iPod. Be happy Alix. And thankful. (hope Ken is your husband!)
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Everymom

Yes Ken is my husband. Thank you for the sweet comments about him and us. He is a bit of a brat, but I couldn't ask for a better guy. We don't walk together as we have lots of committments in the evenings (and currently the snow is up to our knees!) but now that the kids are old enough to be left alone a bit I think we will try to do that more often.

As for 24...I don't think they will kill Jack off, but you just never know with these guys. My jaw about hit the floor when they killed off Palmer, and Michelle and critically injured Tony in the first 5 minutes of the season! Holy cow!
Old 03-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Contest Winner

Exercise has the ability to rejuvenate, restore, and regulate my life. I really do enjoy it. Some days I might feel lazy and try to talk myself out of getting up and doing something, but I know I will feel better when I do. (it's just the mind game of "should I or shouldn't I?" that is the hardest part!) I lost over 100lbs 4 years ago and exercise has been a big part of my keeping the weight off. I remind myself of how far I have come every time I treat my body well by moving it and feeding it good food.

Anyway, I am glad that the walking is making you feel good.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Exercise

Well, so far so good! Now the weather prediction is saying thundershowers? What now? I have walked before in the rain but I always question whether I am risking with it being thundersthowers. I avoid trees as much as I can. I have the momentum going and hope to continue. I have been seeing more people coming and walking. That to me is encouraging. I want them all to feel the same way I do. I just find I don't feel so bad doing my regular work even though it is so routine. I am hoping that I can keep cholesterol or whatever it is to stay out of my system. They try to tell us that exercising helps so I am taking advice.

Losing 100lbs? Who can say that? I am sure not many. Be happy and know you HAVE to keep it off. Bet you feel 100 per cent different. My favorite minister said just this morning 'as the mind goes so the man follows' which is appropriate in this case. Mind over matter. Just make the committment and go! Read that all the time. Thanks for sharing your approval of t he outlook I have. I am hoping to keep it up. You too!

Alix, you have snow? What a shame. If I had Ken, I would surely find way to get to walk with him. I do so admire couples when they are walking together. Gives me a feeling of hope for the rest of us. Inst ead of having someone criticize you for your intentions he wants to go with you. Hope you'll get out soon. Tell Ken to keep up the good work!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Good for you for getting outside and "doing"!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I started a very positive program this year that has made me feel more energetic, given me stamina and generally making me feel better. I have only lost 5 lbs in a month. I do water exercises for 1 1/2 hours M,W,F and go to Curves T,T,S. I know I'm more flexible because when I walk, my stride is quite a bit longer than before, my balance is better and I don't tire as soon. I suppose I will have to do a diet change also to lose weight. I'd like to lose about 30 lbs, so 25 more to go.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Since the weather is starting to change here, I have been exercising more. I have to walk along a highway due to the fact that other places I have tried all caused me conflict. Many of you remember my dilima I won't go into details. I haven't been able to get to the computer from trying to adjust the time for walking but what a feeling one gets from having their blood move. I even sleep better. I wish you all the same feeling I get from making effort to treat my body in the way it serves me. Words can't express how up it makes one feel.
Exercise does make anyone feel a whole lot better. I will have to pick up walking again since my little one usually gets sick at the gym's daycare. My older son and I will begin walking this afternoon-looking forward to it. Hope you continue to feel better about your exercise routine.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks All

From the way you respond I can t ell you all have been here done this and hope we can continue w/o excuses. We should give ourselves attention so that we can keep up with what is expected. My boss used to go play handball on Tues and Thurs rest of week he would swim. He always was at work never had cold and was tall and slim. Never smoked either. I think smoking must keep weight down as my friend tells me she won't give it up else she will be blimp. What a way to live. She used to dance a lot but had to give it up due to taking all her breath away. Some people you mean well when you tell them but they do as they please.

Exercise should be a way of life the way it is in Europe. I always run into people who tell me they have been walking all their life even before they came to this country. You think we are behind?

I drink lot of tea. You think that would count the same as water? I just have hard t ime drinking 8 Full Glasses.