"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Me? Pick on anyone? Surely not!! :)

I totally agree, 'Elf, that Esther is a delightful young lady - albeit, like you, evidently, somewhat misguied in terms of taste.(Parsnips? YUCK! - all the other stuff is fine. Oh, and Vietnamese is oriental, you know.)

Like somebody said (was it Carnivore?), varying tastes and flavors is what makes life interesting. I'll try anything at least once (That has included snake, bees, ants, and grasshopper among many other things), but there are some things I won't try much more than that. TOFU is among those! Lke Carnivore, I'll get my protein from animal sources. I'd a lot rather have a steer process all that soy and stuff for me, thereby improving it tremndously!

Old 08-28-2003, 05:49 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 07:08 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via AIM to esther
okay, to norma and oldcoot: DONT PATRONISE ME!!! haha
and to kitchenelf: thanks for the support. anyway, what a cute convo.
well, so i feel the need to defend soy. im not quite sure. ppl even call it manna because of its versatility. you can make veggie burgers and ice cream, dips, snacks, pies.. whatever.
at home when we do a stir fry night we always do tofu aswell (i have a vegetarian sister). we just marinate it in heaps of tamari (healthier soy sauce) and garlic and then do it in the wok. but i like it better at my favourite health restaurant. i think they cook it in a veggie stock and then put it in the oven, with lots of liquid, on low heat for a while, so it gets really well done. at school here they are always giving us soy stuff. patties, stir fries, the whole bit.
oh, and a word in support of parsnips. they are AWESOME.
when grandma does her monthy VAT of chicken soup, she strains it and drops of all the chicken and veggies at our place. the parsnips are the best bit. i used to slice them really really thin and cook them dry in the microwave , and have parsnip chips. they were unreal.
i dont beleive that any natural ingredient is terrible. i mean, you like it or you dont, but theres always someone who likes it. it might be strange to you or not common, but thats no reason to be mean to it, okay?
we have to respect everyone and everything in this world, bc its all got a purpose. but arguing is still fun, right, oldcoot?
y'all have an awesome weekend.
im baking bread tomorrow! i just came back from the bakery where i purchased whole wheat flour. at two in the morning! this place is crazy.
oh, i found spelt in the end, but it was way pricey.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:12 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Yes, esther.......either you like something, or you don't.....( soy is also the ingredient in commercial ice cream that gives it that wonderfully smooth, creamy texture )
Hey, I actually LIKE oatmeal!!! Somebody's got to!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #15
Master Chef

I've got to wade into this topic. I am a diabetic and do require medications to help control my blood sugar.

On the refined sugar topic, much has been revealed through numerous studies about refined sugar's effect on health. All foods are broken down into mainly blood sugar (glucose). This molecule is used by the body as fuel. Without it , we can't function and will die. But, excess glucose destroys the cappilaries that feed our nerve endings, our organs, and muscles. It weakens those vessels and can lead to heart problems, stroke, loss of feeling to extremities, blindness, kidney failure, and poor ability to mend oneself after injury (no blood to the area due to destroyed capillaries). Loss of limbs due to infection is common among diabetics.

Starches, like refined sugars, are converted rapidly to glucose and will elevate glucose levels to dangerous amounts.

Excess glucose triggers the body to produce large amounts of the powerful hormone, insulin. Insulin causes muscle cells to absorb the sugar into them for use as a fuel (good thing). But the downside is that the cells can only take in so much. The excess is converted to triglycerides and stored as body-fat. Not all of the glucose is used up and the remaining mollecules just float around creating dammage to the circulatory system, and that causes all of the failures associated with diabetes.

To control diabetes, and lessen its effects, a ballanced meal with a great variety of foods is required. The more variety, the better. Also, foods rich in refined or added sugar, and/or starch are avoided. Foods that contain high degrees of fiber, both soluable, and roughage should be consumed to lower the rate at which sugars enter the blood stream.

The same diet that's healthy for diabetics has been shown to be good for everyone. Indeed, if that diet had been practiced from birth, and coupled with reasonable exercise, most type-2 diabetics would never have been diagnosed as such.

Diabetes is one of the fastest growing health problems on the planet. It's cause is more related to poor diet than to genetics, though that certainly plays a part.

A good example of a healthy verses unhealty choice:

Potato, somewhat bland, or savory. Contains very high amount of starches, and some sugar. Good vitamin and mineral content, very little fiber. Result on body, some nutrients are given to the body, but mostly starch and sugars. Body is fed too much sugar too fast. Blood sugar level skyrockets. Tryglycerides also skyrockets. Fat is made and stored. Blood vesels are damaged. Pancreas is hard-pressed to create insulin and may lose some of that ability in the future.

Sweet poato - sweet flavor, high in fiber and nutrients. Color is pleasing. Flavor ballances savory dishes. Effect on body, gives good nutrients, minerals, fiber, and flavor. Fiber content helps regulate proper intestinal function, especially colon function, and regulates the rate that its sugars enter the bloodstream. Blood sugar remains fairly stable. Body is fed properly.

I now use whole grains exclusively for breads, pastas, and pastries. I use good veggies and meats. My blood-sugar is in control, without insulin shots. However, as I still have problems eating too fast, I tend to eat larger portions than required and have problems with high tri-glycerides. But I'll overcome that one as well.

Talk to a good nutritionist. They'll help elliminate the confusion.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:45 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
it is a proven fact that mammals - of which we are one type - require some animal proteins ( which differ from plant proteins) for optimal health.
sorry, but the "proven fact" is simply that humans require protein where the configuration of the 8 essential amino acids making up the protein matches the pattern required by the human body. In a vegetarian diet, this is met primarily by combining different plant foods in the same meal, the most common combination being grain + legumes.

Soy beans are an exception to the general rule that legumes contain incomplete protein. Soy products such as tofu and tempeh have (humanly useable) protein values equivalent to poultry and very close to beef.

Many regions (India, China, Japan, Indonesia, etc) have literally millenia of experience in the creation of highly varied, extremely tasteful vegetarian cuisines.

I'm not a strict vegetarian and I have no moral/religious objection to eating meat/poultry/fish. I drink coffee and tea, enjoy a glass of wine and happily grill a good steak if I feel the urge. I do eat a primarily vegetarian diet but simply because I find it more convenient.

Apologies for the diatribe but with such a wealth of challenging vegetarian cuisines to explore, all of which are increasingly accessible to American cooks, there is no reason a vegetarian diet should be unsophisticated - much less dull.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #17
Master Chef

Please read my post under :Beef; What's your favorite steak. It contains info I recently learned about beef and the health problems it can cause (all you Atkins and low/no carb people take note) :D And the ifo come straight from a major university study and is based on sound science and food chemistry.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:27 AM   #18
Master Chef

okay, i'm kinda gonna join this conversation without reading through the previous responses because i am very sleepy. but i say balance is the way to go. take it from me; i am very skinny. you need to have a little of this, a little of that... basically have exactly what the stomach is growling for, but in moderation. moderation is key, like they say. i really say any food is all right to ingest; i know there are so-called 'health foods', but i'll bet most people who try to go solely on those end up on the couch with a bag of potato chips in the end slurping on a bottle of pop.
reality is key in healthy eating. deprivation is not.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #19
Certified Executive Chef

Well spoken, oldcoot on your opening entry.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Long term health enjoyment instead of instant gratification

It seems to me that by sacrificing some of the garbage we eat we'll be better off in the long run.
Sure God made Soy bland but I think he'd be more worried about our overall health rather then if we enjoy a few instant pleasures.

I speak from the perspective of a parent. My son has a liver condition that allows junk food to have adverse effects on him overnight rather then over months and years. Since we've discovered the ailment while he's still young he hasn't developed too much of a craving for the sweet stuff and enjoys oatmeal and other plain foods.

It seems that the more crave inducing the food the worst it is for you such as alcohol, caffeine, white sugar.

Just my point of view.