A rum-like flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
Hi All,

I guess this technically could be considered an alcoholic beverage question, so if the mods think it belongs there, feel free to move it. ;)

I'm looking to create a drink that captures the "spirit and flavors" of a mai tai. the thing is, I'm not looking to MAKE a mai tai. I'm trying to make a mead.

For example, when I made a margarita mead, I used agave extract as one of the fermentables. With this one, I'm trying to find something that will approximate the flavor of the dark rum in a mai tai.

Since rum comes from cane sugars, I'm thinking maybe a turbinado sugar, a lighter molases, or even some carmelized sugar to catch a little of the flavor.

When you think of a mai tai, or of a dark rum, what other flavors do you think of, and what ingredients would you equate them with?

Thanks!
John

:) How about a rum extract which you get at the store next to the vanilla and other extracts in the spice and herb section

jpmcgrew said:
:) How about a rum extract which you get at the store next to the vanilla and other extracts in the spice and herb section

I'm trying to stay away from that, for reasons both creative (making a fermented beverage from relative scratch) and competitive (might enter it into a competition where those things will get you disqualified, or at least marked down). :)

John

the best mai tais that i've ever had was at lee's hawaiian islander in clifton, nj. sadly, it burned down. probably one too many flaming volcano drinks.

but their mai tai had rum of course; i think both white and dark, and a splash of 151. the main other ingredients were orange curacao liquer, and fresh orange and pineapple juices.

Back
Top Bottom