"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Buy fresh mozzarella balls the same size as the tomatoes and some fresh basil. Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella balls in half. Assemble on a toothpick as follows: mozzarella, basil leaf, tomato. The two halves should form a ball with the basil leaf in the middle. Arrange on a platter, season with salt, pepper, balsamic & evoo. Courtesy Emeril.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Head Chef

I'm in a bit late--but I was thinking Bruschetta and tomatoes with Mozzarella.

For the Bruschetta you could just halve them, add the olive oil, basil, garlic, onion... serve with french bread.... yummy..

Tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella balls, a little garlic, basil, oil and vinegar.... Delicious!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

peel and soak in vodka overnight. splash with worcestershire sauce and serve on celery spears (or just toothpicks) for an alcoholic appy.
I must vouch for this one. Bucky posted this last year and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I do not peel the tomatoes though. I just slice them in half.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #14
Master Chef

I make a tomato-based salad dressing sometimes.

Whirl the maters up in your food processor with some salt and pepper and a clove of garlic. Let it sit for about an hour. Strain and dump the seeds/skin.

Use the tomato liquid as the base for your dressing. Just add vinegar (balsamic, wine, sherry) or lemon juice and olive oil in the normal proportions you like. Check for seasoning.

I usually add a little anchovy or soy sauce for umami and sometimes dijon mustard.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I do not have a recipe, but tomato chutney is one of my favorites.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #16
Head Chef

I would oven-roast them. Cut them in half, sprinkle w thyme and or rosemary, s&p, drizzle w evoo & roast away. You can roast a head of garlic or toss in the cloves at the same time. Serve w pasta etc., or spread on a baguette w some feta cheese.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Jeekinz, you stole my suggestion. :) I love to make enslata caprese kabobs! I marinate mine for an hour or so before assembling, and alternate each piece of cheese and tomato with a nice-sized basil leaf. Nice for parties, too.

I've also made sun-dried tomatoes (in the oven, so I guess they're oven-dried) with cherry tomatoes, and they always turn out just wonderful. Definitely a good suggestion, and a great way to make them keep longer.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlyn View Post
Jeekinz, you stole my suggestion. :) I love to make enslata caprese kabobs! I marinate mine for an hour or so before assembling, and alternate each piece of cheese and tomato with a nice-sized basil leaf. Nice for parties, too.

I've also made sun-dried tomatoes (in the oven, so I guess they're oven-dried) with cherry tomatoes, and they always turn out just wonderful. Definitely a good suggestion, and a great way to make them keep longer.
LOL....is that what they're called? Takes a little time, but it's definately worth it. Add some cheeses and cured meats and you've got dinner.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Wow thank you everyone, now I'm afraid I will run out of cherry tomatoes too soon.... I can't wait until my plants come up! I plant 2 for me and 1 for my son.... the one kid that wont eat anything will eat a whole gardens worth of cherry tomatoes if I let him. :)
Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I love them with mozzarella, basil and garlic with any type of italian or vinegrette dressing.

My dogs love them as low calorie training treats!

Mary