"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative

Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Actually any utensil you happen to have in your hands...her daily meal offering is usually great...unless it's Brussels Sprouts...she does way to many of those for my taste.

I love using ground pork for tacos and/or black bean and pork burritos. Really, I think I just like pork...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Hot water crust Gala Pork PieClick image for larger version

Name:	img004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	10888

Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
OK, didn't know! That has been on my list of things to try out for a long time. I got a few bell peppers coming in on my plants too. Do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?
Here you go, it's Chef Paul Prudhomme's. We've tried several and like his the best. I usually make double this amount though cause we like leftovers. Eliminate the gizzards and use about 1 pound of chicken livers and g. pork. I also add some cayenne to our spice mix as Craig likes things a little spicy.

DIRTY RICE
Serves 2
2 tablespoons Chicken fat or butter
1/2 pound Chicken gizzards
1/4 pound Ground pork
1 each Bay leaves
1 each Yellow onions
1-1/2 each Celery stalks
1/2 each Bell peppers -- green
1 each Garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Black pepper
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Dry mustard
1 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
2 tablespoons Butter
2 cups Chicken or Pork stock
1/2 pound Chicken livers
1 cup Rice

Mince onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Grind livers and gizzards (I just finely chop the livers). Place fat or butter, pork and bay leaves in large heavy skillet over high heat; cook until meat is thoroughly browned, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, Tabasco, salt, pepper, paprika, mustard, cumin, thyme, and oregano; stir thoroughly, scraping pan bottom well. Add the butter and stir until melted. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 8 minutes, stirring constantly and scraping pan bottom well. Add the stock or water and stir until any mixture sticking to the pan bottom comes loose; cook about 8 minutes over high heat, stirring once. Then stir in the chicken livers and cook about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir thoroughly; cover pan and turn heat to very low; cook about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecookbook View Post
Wow!!!!! Totally cool. Great idea.

I was going to suggest Pork Gyozas but then that is getting a little fancy I suppose. Still... one of the many things one can do if they have too much ground pork on their hands! Could also simply stuff a Red Pepper and roast it. But I love these Asian suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Couple of people here do make Gyozas, and make Bento Lunches, etc. So, it's not totally out there.

MsMofet though, she is a plating artiste. And is always making us stick forks in the computer screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecookbook View Post
Little Ms Mofet of curds and whey fame? Yes, I have to agree with you. She has some great stuff. A fork or a chopstick though? Guess it doesn't matter. Except fork rhymes with pork... (like how I got back on topic?)

Another idea (sorry if mentioned and I missed it), pork tacos with corn tortillas, cilantro, onions and a little salsa.
Quote:
Actually any utensil you happen to have in your hands...her daily meal offering is usually great...unless it's Brussels Sprouts...she does way to many of those for my taste.

I love using ground pork for tacos and/or black bean and pork burritos. Really, I think I just like pork...
Thank you for the kind words and a chuckle!!

Actually what are Gyozas? Recipe?

I am cutting up a chicken today so homemade stock will be made. SO I see wontons and soup in the near future!! YUMMY.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Hot water crust Gala Pork PieAttachment 10888
Looks wonderful. Recipe?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Looks wonderful. Recipe?
First off, what the heck is that, Bolas? It looks delicious and should be wrapped with a bow!

msmofet, gyoza is potstickers, same as your wonton recipe. The bottom of the dumplings are browned in a pan to a crisp and then a pour of water or stock is added to finish cooking them by steam. Use dipping sauce of your choice.

Enjoy,
S. Pork
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Hot water crust Gala Pork PieAttachment 10888
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
First off, what the heck is that, Bolas? It looks delicious and should be wrapped with a bow!

msmofet, gyoza is potstickers, same as your wonton recipe. The bottom of the dumplings are browned in a pan to a crisp and then a pour of water or stock is added to finish cooking them by steam. Use dipping sauce of your choice.

Enjoy,
S. Pork
Thank you.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

Enjoy,
S. Pork
Ah! The truth comes out...it's not for a unique eating utensil...it's because it hides Pork!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Ah! The truth comes out...it's not for a unique eating utensil...it's because it hides Pork!
LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #30
Cook

Or you can make steamed Gyozas and a delicious dipping sauce with:

Soy sauce
Lemon Juice
Sesame Oil (a few drops)
Chili Oil (a few drops)

Tags
pork