Smoked turkey sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I have never even heard of it. It's supposed to be a healthy recipe, that's why turkey instead of pork. Can I use breakfast turkey sausage? Here is the recipe.

Healthy Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients
  • 1 pound smoked turkey sausage
    2 tbsp canola oil
    1 large onion, diced
    1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and
    diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bunch green onions, sliced, green part
    reserved for garnish
    1⁄2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1 tsp fresh thyme, or pinch dried
    Pinch of salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    Three 15-ounce cans of kidney beans,
    drained and rinsed
    One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with
    basil and garlic
    1 bay leaf, whole
    1 cup brown rice, uncooked
    Hot sauce to taste
Directions
1. Slice the sausage links in half lengthwise and
then in half again. Cut crosswise to dice.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy
saucepan with lid. Once hot, add the onions,
bell pepper, garlic, and the white parts of the
green onion. Cook until the vegetables are soft,
about 5 minutes.
3. Add the sausage to the pan and cook just
until browned. Add the red pepper, oregano,
thyme, salt, and black pepper and stir to combine.
Then stir in the beans and tomatoes, and
add the bay leaf.
4. Add the rice, stir, and let cook for 1 minute to
coat the rice. Add 1½ cups of water. Bring to a
boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover
and continue to cook until the rice is tender,
about 40 minutes. Before serving, remove the
bay leaf and garnish with a dash or two of hot
sauce, if desired, and the sliced green onions.

Thanks!

I don't know if you could or not. I'm not sure if the flavor would be quite the same. I know I've seen Butterball brand turkey smoked sausage around this area. It's a little lower in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol but a little higher in sodium. I've noticed some of the "healthier" turkey products really aren't, especially when it comes to anything using ground turkey. I'm thinking they must use the fattiest parts of the turkey or add turkey fat to it. I think one of the items the hubby and I looked at actually had turkey fat as like, the second or third ingredient after turkey in the ingredients list. I've started comparing nutrition labels between the turkey variety and standard variety and if the turkey variety doesn't look any healthier, I just get the regular variety, especially in instances where the turkey stuff is more expensive.

The overall recipe looks pretty healthy so you might be able to get away with just finding a really good, very smokey sausage and using a lesser amount.

Yes, you can. To compensate for the loss of the smoke flavor, add a teaspoon of Liquid Smoke.

I don't know if you could or not. I'm not sure if the flavor would be quite the same. I know I've seen Butterball brand turkey smoked sausage around this area. It's a little lower in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol but a little higher in sodium. I've noticed some of the "healthier" turkey products really aren't, especially when it comes to anything using ground turkey. I'm thinking they must use the fattiest parts of the turkey or add turkey fat to it. I think one of the items the hubby and I looked at actually had turkey fat as like, the second or third ingredient after turkey in the ingredients list. I've started comparing nutrition labels between the turkey variety and standard variety and if the turkey variety doesn't look any healthier, I just get the regular variety, especially in instances where the turkey stuff is more expensive.

The overall recipe looks pretty healthy so you might be able to get away with just finding a really good, very smokey sausage and using a lesser amount.

Thanks! I'll try looking for the Butterball brand turkey smoked sausage first.

Yes, you can. To compensate for the loss of the smoke flavor, add a teaspoon of Liquid Smoke.

Thanks! I'll try this if I cant find the Butterball brand turkey smoked sausage

Back
Top Bottom