Freezing Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the reply. I was referring to cooked pasta. I have a 3 month old daughter and sometimes its hard to get meals cooked everyday so I want to start making a freezing pasta dishes for when I can't cook. How long will cooked pasta last in the freezer?

I don't like to freeze starchy foods. The reason is that the high water content will change the texture of food because of crystallization.
I tried to freeze beef stew with potato's in it and once defrosted and reheated the potato's lost all taste and texture. It's the same with pasta.
You can cook pasta and cover it with salted water to keep in the fridg for a few days and just reheat in boiling water. Just don't over cook the pasta.

I assume you are referring to store bought pasta. If you purchase Angel Hair, Vermicelli, and other very thin pasta, in the time it would take you to heat up a sauce, the pasta would be cooked. Just put a cover on the pot when you are bringing the water to a boil. It will heat up faster.

Are you planning on feeding a three month old infant pasta with tomato sauce? Why not start with cooking small helpings of veggies and other foods. Take a look at the baby food section in your grocery store for ideas of different foods you can make ahead and freeze. At her age, tomato is acidic and could be upsetting to the baby's stomach and digestion system. If you are going to feed her pasta, toss it with butter instead. :angel:

Your best bet is to freeze a little pasta overnight or for a couple of days then defrost it and see what you think. You're the final judge of whether or not you like it. Let us know what you find out.

I used to bring along boiled, oiled pasta on our camping outings. Keeping it cold it lasted at least a week. Other than that, I agree, pasta will cook almost as quickly as heating the pasta. If you really want to freeze it, do a test and freeze a little to see how you system will work in your house. But I think fooling around trying to defrost it won't be worth it.

You can cook pasta and cover it with salted water to keep in the fridg for a few days and just reheat in boiling water. Just don't over cook the pasta.

I respectfully disagree - if it's stored sitting in water, it will continue to expand, and become ultra mushy. The best way is to refrigerate the cooked pasta after tossing it with a touch of olive oil. It still won't be as al dente after a day or so, but it will be edible. It should keep in the refrigerator for at least one week.

Last edited:
I used to bring along boiled, oiled pasta on our camping outings. Keeping it cold it lasted at least a week. Other than that, I agree, pasta will cook almost as quickly as heating the pasta. If you really want to freeze it, do a test and freeze a little to see how you system will work in your house. But I think fooling around trying to defrost it won't be worth it.
I'm with the "not worth freezing" lobby on this, too. Freezing pasta in a bake with a sauce or a lasagne or something like that works and is worth while but I don't think the OP would be saving herself anything by freezing "undressed" pasta.

Home-made pasta is another story. It freezes well uncooked and only takes 2-3 minutes to cook from frozen.

Back
Top Bottom