"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #71
Chief Eating Officer

I (obviously) disagree. My freezer, of which I am in control of, is something that I can be much more sure of than a supermarket where how many hands have touched your chicken.

When I put meat in my freezer, I can be 100% sure that it has remained frozen regardless of how long it has been in there. I can not be even close to sure that what went on in the supermarket or the transportation or the other handling of the meat before I buy it.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #72
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
What is the importance of it not being a frost free freezer? Is it because the auto defrost cycle may take it above the safe zone temp?
Just curious because most new fridges are frost free, so if that feature is effecting how long you can keep frozen goods...?
I don't think so. I think he was referring to freezer burn and a quality issue. The very outside might thaw, but it surely wouldn't get above 40 degrees unless something was seriously wrong with that freezer.

However, in a couple of years, it might do that quite a few times and I would guess you might notice some dehydration on the outside.

Frankly, I don't think anyone really purposely holds food that long in a freezer. I eat more chicken than any other meat and it would be long gone before 6 months.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #73
Master Chef

Same here, I can't remember the last time I had anything longer than a couple of weeks. At the same time, sometimes whole chickens go on sale buy one get one free at $5 a chicken making it $2.50 a chicken or boneless skinless chicken breasts go on sale from $6 for a 3lb bag to $2. When that happens, it is good to know that with proper packaging I could stock up to the maximum capacity of the freezer to take advantage of the sales.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #74
Senior Cook

Well, I must say I have never posted a thread anywhere that has gotten this much attention. I can say the chicken has been frozen all this time at the bottom of the freezer and it is not a frost-free so I feel sure it has been frozen all of the time. But I am going to really look at this chick and see if it looks ok and smells ok before I cook it. It looks like I bought a family pack of chicken breast and then split them up in 3 different bags with 3 in a bag(according to what I wrote on the bag). There is just my dh and I so it doesn't take many at a time. Anyway if it looks different I will throw it out to the varmets that come up at night as it will probably be good to them.(I live in the country) Thanks for all of the replies. Faye
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #75
Chief Eating Officer

I think that is a good plan Faye. Do let us know the outcome.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #76
Master Chef

"chicken talk' has become quite the hot topic here lately, LOL.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #77
Senior Cook

Q..How do we know that freezing does not kill bacteria?

A. Because if it did, there would be no bacteria in Minnesota.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Hmmm... I`m wondering now, the next time I get a dewar flask of liquid N2, I may just try putting some sealed chicken in it and see what takes place!

although I am somewhat concerned about the Formula involved?

does it work on a sliding scale where a lower temp can be the equiv of Age at a higher frozen temp? like F=ma F can remain constant by altering either M or A accordingly.

is there one for Temp and Time???

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #79
Chief Eating Officer

Mozart you get the gold star for this thread
Old 02-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #80
Head Chef

GB, I can understand why you will confidently eat a chicken that has sat in your own freezer for 10 years and I agree that's most probably safe. (I trust your judgment GB but I'll pass on dinner, LOL. See, there's this part of my brain that won't cooperate. Nothing to do with safety issues in this case too...) I can't even remember what I was doing 10 years ago when this chicken clucked its last cluck:-P