"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 03-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Is my meat safe to cook?

Last night I put out a package of frozen ground beef and forgot it. I was trying to let it thaw out before using it for today. I'd taken it from the freezer and put it in the bottom of my fridge on Thursday night, and it was so frozen Friday afternoon, that I put it back in the freezer and didn't use it...I made something else for supper.

Last night I put it out about 11 pm or so, and it was in it's original wrapper and in a plastic grocery bag around it too. I forgot it in the drainer at my sink and didn't get it till 8:30 am this morning. It was totally thawed and lots of blood drained to the end of the package (It was sitting diagonally in the drainer.)

I refrigerated it imediately and don't know if I can use it tonight or not? What do you think?

Jovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Was it still cold to the touch, if so should be ok, if warm or smelled off -Pitch !

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Master Chef
Most of the stores around here put out meat thats been already frozen and is thawed out quite a bit only for buyers to take them back home to refreeze. Thats why I like to go to this one store that cuts their meats fresh.

If the meat you found was still very cold to touch then I'd say its okay to use but give it a sniff and let your nose tell you. If the meat had warmed up by the time you found it then I wouldn't take the chance.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Miss Jovin...

If it "smells" ok...I might give it a go cooked well done!
If in doubt....throw it out!!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer
You are going to get 2 answers. There are those who will say they have done this a million times and never had a problem. You will then get those that say it is not safe to eat and why take the chance.

I am in the second camp. I equate it to driving without a seatbelt. You could do that for 40 years and never have a problem, but that one time you do get into an accident you will be wishing you had that belt on.

Toss the meat and stay safe. It just is not worth the risk.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Head Chef
I'd go along with SizzlinIN and GB. If it felt fridge cold when you found it in the drainer, fair enough. Otherwise, in the bin. Better safe than sorry, especially if you'd be cooking it for kids or anyone who was elderly or frail.
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
Master Chef
Nine hours or so isn't that long for something that was still frozen. I'm of the "I do that all the time" camp - & I do. I would definitely use it, but as others have posted, this is always going to be a contentious subject with diehards in both camps. It's definitely going to have to be your decision.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Head Chef
I sorta straggle the fence here, shoulda been a politician I suppose.

Yeah - the Auntdot ticket - that sounds good.

Sorry, off track. I am usually in the use it category, and probably would. Definitely would were it still cold.

But I toss in the comfort factor - and that is do you feel comfortable eating it?

If not, toss it out.

Have tossed out a number of items we just would not feel happy eating, even though I was sure they were OK.

If the integrity of the item is in question, to the dump it gets toted.

With that wishy washy answer I feel I should be elected thread president.

LOL, and take care.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Sorry to say, but you should have put it in the garabage. Ground beef is handled many times at the butcher's shoppe. First, it comes in whole, then it's placed on a cutting board where it's broken down, then it goes to a grinder, where it's ground. Then, it's packaged and weighed. From live cow to your refrigerator there are at least a dozen different ways the meat could have come in contact with bacteria (slaughterhouse, truck, cutting board, grinder, handlers, etc...) in addition to what would normally multiply on the beef. As soon as your package thawed to 40 degrees that was when you had to cook it, or refrigerate it (you never should have defrosted on the counter in the first place, the ease of slipping into a danger temp. zone is great).

The meat can only safely be above 40 degrees for 2 hours. After that, it's not safe for consumption. The fact that ground beef is handled so much more than a simple steak or roast makes it that much more dangerous.

Lots of people will tell you to smell it. You cannot always rely on smell. It's more about time and temperature when it comes to proteins and other potentially hazardous foods. I hate throwing food away, but no amount of money is worth the illness you are probably facing.

Always defrost in the fridge or in the microwave (only if you are going to cook immediately).

The preceding was a free announcement from your local food safety and sanitation faery
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
I hate to waste food. but to be on the safe side, I would toss it.

Happy@Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote