"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Master Chef

Ghost Peppers

I love the flavor of dried Ghost peppers. I've used tehm as a ground powder to season an already really good batch of home-made salsa. The addition fo the ghost pepper added a truly wonderful flavor. Last night, I added one ghost pepper to a batch of chili (2 quarts worth). It was the only additional seasoning required besides the chili powder, onion, and regular ingredients. I usually have to add a mixture of peppers to give it the depth of flavor I'm looking for. And one dried pepper made the heat just right.

If you haven't yet tried ghost peppers due to their fiery reputation, give them a try. They are very tasty. I think they are quickly becoming my favorite pepper for Southwestern foods. Just don't pop a fresh one in your mouth and start chewing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Wine Guy

I like ghost peppers, too. Last summer I was able to find fresh ghost peppers in the produce section at our local co-op, so I bought 3 of them along with a bunch of red savina habaneros and made a batch of homemade sauce. If you ever do this, I would highly recommend doing it outside if possible, as the fumes are noxious and could even be harmful if you were to breathe it into your lungs.

Anyway, the sauce packs quite a wallop. I have to make foods somewhat on the tepid side for my family (although our daughter is beginning to come around to the joy of fiery foods), so I usually add heat directly to the bowl rather than the entire pot. Any more than one or two shakes of my hot sauce and it's difficult to eat.

I also have some seasoning I made using dried ghost peppers. For some reason, I find the flavor of the dried chilies to be much more mild than the fresh ones.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Master Chef

I love adding a few ghost chilies to my chili and onion relish. They add great flavor!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I like ghost peppers, too. Last summer I was able to find fresh ghost peppers in the produce section at our local co-op, so I bought 3 of them along with a bunch of red savina habaneros and made a batch of homemade sauce. If you ever do this, I would highly recommend doing it outside if possible, as the fumes are noxious and could even be harmful if you were to breathe it into your lungs.

Anyway, the sauce packs quite a wallop. I have to make foods somewhat on the tepid side for my family (although our daughter is beginning to come around to the joy of fiery foods), so I usually add heat directly to the bowl rather than the entire pot. Any more than one or two shakes of my hot sauce and it's difficult to eat.

I also have some seasoning I made using dried ghost peppers. For some reason, I find the flavor of the dried chilies to be much more mild than the fresh ones.
I too find that the dried peppers don't have the same fire as fresh ones. But they still add a really great pepper flavor to my salsa and chili. I think I'm going to purchase some seeds and grow them in pots. I just pollinate the flowers with a toothpick. Then, I'll have peppers year round.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I used to buy small plants, but now I use seeds.
I buy the peppers (the ones I like) at the market and dry and save the seeds.
This allows me to grow what I want and not only whats available at the garden center in the spring.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Proud American

Those are very hot! I had a soup with this in it and I could not finish of it. Perhaps it was too much of this?

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Has anyone had access to the new "hottest" chili, the Trinidad Scorpion?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

I use ghost pepper (Bhut Jolokia Pepper) Powder in my chili and taco seasoning.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Has anyone had access to the new "hottest" chili, the Trinidad Scorpion?
Hasn't that been around for a year or more? I have some "Stingin' Scorpion" sauce from my friends at Peppermaster.com.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Head Chef

Ghost Peppers do have a flavor.

I do like it.

But hot for hot's sake is not what I like.

I tend to like hotter then most but flavor has to be there.

Heat shouldn't take over the taste.

Balance is key yet there is something to be said for a bit of sweat on the brow.

My pepper crop didn't do so well this year.

Damned snails. Anyone got a solution for them?

But I think I'll try some ghosts next year.

Tags
peppers