"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I went through the spices and threw away a bunch of expired ones. Now I am left with salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, basil, bay leaves, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes.

Also, I stocked up on some seasoning envelopes -- brown gravy, chili, taco, fajitas, Ranch.

I can't find any curry at the 2 stores I go to. I guess I have to drive 10 miles away or order off Amazon or eBay.

Any other good spices I should have on hand?
Truffle Salt, truffle oil, smoke paprika, Cayenne pepper, dried ghost peppers, dried Tobasco peppers, cocoa powder, colored sugar sprinkles, dried porcini powder, dried candy-cap mushrooms, maple, molasses, balsamic vinegar, powdered cheddar, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, chili powder, turmeric, Chinese 5-Spice powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, sage, coriander, cumin. That's all I can think of right now.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #32
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Gosh, where to begin....! Ditto on the smoked paprika, and I also have to have cumin and chili powder as I do a lot of Tex mex cooking. A good cinnamon is a must for me, and garlic powder - not garlic salt. I have to have a good peppercorn for my grinder - I love pepper, and not the stuff that comes in a can. Once you taste fresh ground pepper, you'll never go back.

Have you ever checked out Penzeys? A lot of us here use them and are very happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. Often they include freebies with an order. In fact, I'm fixin' to place an order with them right now, to take advantage of a free bottle of dried shallots (delicious!) and roasted garlic. Free shipping for orders over $30...until midnight tonight its free shipping over $20, plus the freebies.

Have to get back to my order.
https://www.penzeys.com/

edited....another thread for your reading enjoyment. :-)
Penzeys spices: Any opinions?
You just sold me on Penzy. Checking what they have right now.
Lately I can't find in any section of the store the usual spices that we use.
It's all different kinds of chili powders now. What happened?

Everyone mentions penzey's often enough around here. Guess I'll pass on checking Amazon.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Everyone mentions penzey's often enough around here. Guess I'll pass on checking Amazon.
Don't lock in on one brand. Savory has some outstanding individual herbs and spices and blends too.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

RP is right that there are many different options - I've been stuck on Penzeys since my first order several years ago. I've never been disappointed, and customer service is outstanding.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
RP is right that there are many different options - I've been stuck on Penzeys since my first order several years ago. I've never been disappointed, and customer service is outstanding.
Agreed, on all counts
Old 02-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #36
Master Chef

I too am more than happy with everything I've ordered from Penzey's. However I have requested they offer the true French version of Herbs de Provence without lavender. I hope they respond, and if they do, I'll certainly pass it on here. I shouldn't have to pay the price of getting it from France.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
The only reason I try to throw in a different option is because there are differences, especially with custom blends. I know that Penzey's has blends that Savory doesn't and vice versa. It pays to shop around.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will never have a bad experience with Savory either. I've dealt with them online and I've bought at one of their stores, and I get the same great service either way.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Put me in a spice store, any spice store, and I'm a happy, happy girl. And you won't get me out of there for a very long time.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:05 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
The only reason I try to throw in a different option is because there are differences, especially with custom blends. I know that Penzey's has blends that Savory doesn't and vice versa. It pays to shop around.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will never have a bad experience with Savory either. I've dealt with them online and I've bought at one of their stores, and I get the same great service either way.
Do you have a link Rick? I'd like to check them out, and can't find it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:48 AM   #40
Head Chef

Ive bought from Penzy's online before and was always satisfied.
They used to have a store out by me, but it has since closed, which was very disappointing .

Last year, I was in Newport, RI, and came across a spice store " The Spice and Tea Exchange". I ran in there as fast as I could, and didn't leave for a good half hour ( and $50 + dollars later, probably more but I forgot). I know I got several different paprikas, a Moroccan Spice Blend, and Indian Spice Blend, several different teas and a block of Himalayan Sea Salt ( which kinda looks cool in the kitchen).

They also do online business spiceandtea.com , although Ive never bought from them online. Having such a good experience in the store, I personally will give their online site a shot.

It was a pleasure, though, to actually go in to the store, and be able to physically open each jar and smell each spice.

I wish the Penzy's store was still available by me.

Larry

Tags
seasoning, seasonings, spices