"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #51
Master Chef

Unfortunately, that's a problem in many "mixed greens" seed mixes. I've had the same problem with greens such as Arugula & other stronger types quickly outgrowing the milder lettuces & thus overpowering "cut & come again" mixtures. So these days, I mostly grow lettuces separate from other greens.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

i too raided home depot. the handyman and i planted on tues. so all the plants and seeds are in the pots . seems early i know but this is so calif. no freezing nights. spent a lot of money on this project so it better produce. he rigged up the pots and upside down planters so they are all near each other. for ease in watering. i have to hold him back he has a tendency to over water. so now it is a waiting game.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

I have thrown plastic bags over plants when that cold snap comes around, the heat of the plant keeps it cozy in there.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
i actually just brought my herbs inside (yeah I know) i lost my basil and parsley but ill grow them gain. my chives are coming back strong. I dont think they like the outdoors much.

I cant wait. I got a new place to put the garden this year.
My basil is the first thing to go every year, it is soooo sensitive to cold. However, I have had snow on the ground for months, it melted about a week ago, and there is heaps of healthy, yummy parsley under there! Weird!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #55
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Oh man ... we are a good couple months away from planting where I'm at. I am GREEN with envy!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #56
Master Chef

Last years mix started to all taste like arugula! I like arugula, but am not planting any this year because it just overwhelmed my lettuce patch the previous two years.

I promised to plant an herb garden for my blind friend this year. She already has a raised bed, and my husband's agreed to help me haul a few extra bags of soil. I'm aiming at aromatic herbs so that she can brush up against them and know what they are. I have a rather large herb garden, and am starting hers with the obvious, from the song. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Chives grow here like weeds. Her care-giver will actually use them, for herself and for my friend. So it should be fun.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #57
Master Chef

And, yes, it will be another couple of months before we can plant here. Mothers' Day is the tradition. But I'm dreaming!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri's Therapy View Post
However, I have had snow on the ground for months, it melted about a week ago, and there is heaps of healthy, yummy parsley under there! Weird!
Parsley is EXTREMELY hardy. I always grow some Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley in large pots on my deck & harvest it year-round - even under snow - until it's 2nd summer when it bolts to seed (parsley is a biennial).
Old 03-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #59
Master Chef

[quote=Claire;802605]Last years mix started to all taste like arugula! I like arugula, but am not planting any this year because it just overwhelmed my lettuce patch the previous two years. quote]

I love arugula too. It's SO versatile - I use it both in cooked dishes as well as salads. In fact, I think I use it even more in cooking.

Just grow it in a patch by itself & don't let it go to seed (unless you want to save seed to sow the following year), or grow it in containers.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #60
Master Chef

Breezy, I'm trying to think of where to put what this year. When I moved to this house, I immediately knew where my herb garden would be. Right outside the kitchen door. It is a sort of naturally raised garden bed, and I experiment quite a bit with it. Then there is the mint garden. I don't need to tell you about mint. There is a tomato garden. And the lettuce garden is strictly for lettuce. No more arugula! Yes, I like it tossed into angel hair pasta. The reason the lettuce garden is just that is funny. I have to remind my husband every year. There are only four inches of soil there. It is on top of a 150 year old cistern! He tends to not remember that I put a couple of bags of top soil on it every year, and there wasn't a garden there when we moved here (it was just bricks). So the only thing to grow there is lettuce, and we love it. The location is perfect, right outside the kitchen door.