"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

oops, forgot the raspberries.

a pound of raspberries, miniman?!?! how large are the canes, and how large is the thicket?

also, what color raspberries?

not knowing what i was doing, i planted red, yellow, and black raspberries all together in two 6' by 2' foot boxes. the blacks got squeezed out and only a few canes remain. the red and yellow morphed and now i grow the only pink raspberries that i've ever seen. we take in about a pint every other or third day from them, from july thru august.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef

my garden is trying to deal with the two inches of rain we received in the last 24 hours. This spring has been too wet, much wetter than normal. But this is good for weeding, weeds and roots pull out really easily with this wet soil. I did muck around and harvested my first yukon gold potatoes, have been digging the reds for a few weeks now for potato salads. Am harvesting broccoli, have 2 cabbages left, harvest onions, parsley and garlic as needed, have my first tiny green tomato, corn in doing GREAT, beans should be flowering soon, carrots aren't big enough to harvest yet, kale and collards are harvested regularly, sweet potatoes are starting to vine...

Old 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Sous Chef

We are very lucky to be able to garden all year round, it's just a matter of adjusting the plants to suit the seasons. The down side of living in the tropics is that we can't grow apples or stone fruit etc., I would just love to be able to walk up to one of those trees and pick some fresh ripe fruit.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Master Chef

Pretty much the same thing you are, the entire garden needs to seriously be cut back, although weeds are not that bad at all. Not sure where we stand on the veggies, the wife put em back along side the garage and I think they are getting forgotten...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Pretty much the same thing you are, the entire garden needs to seriously be cut back, although weeds are not that bad at all. Not sure where we stand on the veggies, the wife put em back along side the garage and I think they are getting forgotten...
Good one Maverick, obviously you're not the gardener in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272
although weeds are not that bad at all.
I guess you could pass them off as ground cover if asked
Old 07-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #16
Master Chef

Nope, I can manage not to kill most things but she is definitely the gardener in the house. Weeds really aren't a problem much in her garden, it is mostly native plants and they choke out anything else that tries to grow there, that and the mulch she originally put down kept em from coming back much at all.
Mostly it is pruning things back that she has to do, and that is without doing any watering at all. Only the herbs, veggies, and pots get watered... well, when we remember to water them that is LOL.
I need to take a picture of the Clematis (sp?) she has along the side of the garage and the one along the side of the house covering the trellis. I already posted pictures of the front garden in an album.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I am in the midst of a zucchini attack. I've been baking zucchini breads, cookies, cake, zucchini frittata, and tomorrow will be making zucchini soup for the freezer. I have been eating zucchini every way possible. My neighbors have been enjoying them also. Last year we had very few -- not so this year! The onions and garlic have been harvested and my snow peas are almost finished. Cucumbers are doing well, but not the peppers. I doubt that I will get any peppers at all. Lettuce has all gone to seed. Tomatoes are on the vines, but still green. Had swiss chard with dinner tonight and the basil is almost ready for a first harvest -- late this year. I'm picking plums and soon apricots. Later will come pears and apples. Looks like there will be a good number of pomegrantes this winter. Happy Gardening to All!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272
I already posted pictures of the front garden in an album.
Pretty impressive flower garden there
Old 07-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #19
Master Chef

Overwhelming is the word I use the most!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oops, forgot the raspberries.

a pound of raspberries, miniman?!?! how large are the canes, and how large is the thicket?

also, what color raspberries?

not knowing what i was doing, i planted red, yellow, and black raspberries all together in two 6' by 2' foot boxes. the blacks got squeezed out and only a few canes remain. the red and yellow morphed and now i grow the only pink raspberries that i've ever seen. we take in about a pint every other or third day from them, from july thru august.
These are the usual reddy/purple raspberries. There is also a loganberry plant in there. They are on my allotment so it is a big thicket (has taken over the strawberry bed as well) The thicket is probably 6ft by 4ft and needs to be sorted & controlled. I lost a lot of time last year after the fire so no cutting back was done. The fruits are really small though.