"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 03-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

SOS! Seriously...

Sh*t on Shingle...that's the only thing I know it by! Anyone know how to make this? This is a great childhood memory dish for me, I think it was sliced beef (or some type of super tender meat!?!?) in a whitish sauce...dear old gran served it over good old white bread, it was sort of sweet, but Alzheimer's is preventing her from sharing the details...Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Master Chef

LOL - it is Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast ... basically just cream gravy with some dried chippd beef added and served over toast.

You might look at this previous thread to get some ideas. If you still have questions - just ask.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have a great recipe, Teri, but I'm not at home right now. I'll post it later today.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Head Chef

SOS used to be made with dried beef but its cheaper to use the Buddig shaved beef or some people use ground beef.

CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF (SOS)

2 tablespoons butter
2 TBSP flour
finely chopped onion to taste
2 cups milk
1 1 oz package Dried beef -- Budding (1-4)
Salt and pepper -- to taste
cayenne pepper -- to taste

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth and heat until bubbly. Gradually, stir in milk and continue stirring to keep from getting lumpy. The mixture-which is white sauce-will gradually thicken. Add the chipped beef (separate and cut into thin strips) and keep over low heat about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper as desired. Serve over toast, biscuits, mashed potato or baked potato.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Master Chef

I like to use the jarred dried beef...I think the brand is Hormel. And I always serve peas on the side, because I like them with it, but if you put them in with the sauce, it gets too watery.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I like to use the jarred dried beef...I think the brand is Hormel. And I always serve peas on the side, because I like them with it, but if you put them in with the sauce, it gets too watery.
That's what my mother used, too. BTW, I preferred it made with canned tuna and served on toasted English muffins.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

Sh*t on a shingle, sure, we had it lots of times when we were growing up.
McNerd has the sauce right, rinse the dried beef slice by slice and drain, then dice and add to the sauce. Serve over hot toast.
I make asparagus on toast the same way, and tuna might be just as delicious. The toast makes it crunchy and chewy, the sauce makes it smooth and tasty, and the sh*t makes it special. It's all about texture and flavor, carbs, cream (dairy) and protein. In any case, it's a treat. ~Bliss
Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
That is what I use too. I've looked at the packs in the cooler but I know they will probably go bad before I make it. The jarred meat stays good forever.

As far as the peas, I've found if you cook them separate and really drain them, they don't add too much water. I think I tend too make really thick gravy though so I might not notice it even.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom use to make something similar just about every friday but she used tuna instead of the beef. Dad loved it mom hated it and I use to hide
kadesma
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Stoffers has a great Creamed Chipped Beef that I love. I dated a guy and it was his favorite thing....he made me keep boxes upon boxes in my freezer. If you just want the memory, try that. If you want to wow a crowd, give the recipes here a try.

Oh, and we called it SOS too. It was the only time the S word was allowed when I was growing up.

Tags
None