"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #331
Chef Extraordinaire

Chinese sweet and sour meatballs

Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #332
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Chinese sweet and sour meatballs
One of my favorites....

Yeah, I forgot to mention I brown the meatballs before freezing them. Not cook, through, but brown.

I don't freeze mine in sauce, because, well, I usually don't know what sauce we're gonna be in the mood for!

Worst case scenario, just use some basic tomato sauce, or barbecue sauce. I normally have a bottle of that hanging around, pick them up whenever on sale at the store.

TBS

Old 09-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #333
Chef Extraordinaire

When I am doing meatballs for the freezer, I partially bake them all at once on a large cookie sheet. Sure beats standing over the frying pan and turning them. Much quicker. Then once that tray cools down some, into the freezer. I use them mostly for meatball subs.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #334
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I am doing meatballs for the freezer, I partially bake them all at once on a large cookie sheet. Sure beats standing over the frying pan and turning them. Much quicker. Then once that tray cools down some, into the freezer. I use them mostly for meatball subs.
You know that does make a lot of sense. I sometimes get tunnel vision when cooking. I'll usually use my cast iron skillet for most things, just because. I even OWN a set of all clad saucepans (wedding gift), cookie sheets, and other stuff, but usually I just grab the Lodge.

I guess it is the same reason I use my swiss army knife for most simple home repairs, even though I have a toolbox full of actual tools, the swiss army knife is always in my pocket, where the toolbox is in the basement, and I KNOW it works in most situations.

It is particularly egregious when I use the lodge as a saucepan, were I know darn well I have perfectly good saucepans in the cabinet. And they say you shouldn't do acidic sauces in cast iron. Mine is so seasoned by near daily use, and rubdowns with shortening by now, though I think I'd hide behind it in a nuclear blast, and only get a slight sunburn.

Honestly I think this is due to a string of apartments with small kitchens, and the fact that even though I have been cooking for a while, even having cooked in restaurant settings, I still think of myself as a campfire cook. Stew pot, cast iron skillet, dutch oven, seem to be the three things I go back to. The all-clad pots, I've always kind of thought of as too fancy to use... weird I know.

But yeah, I do have a couple cookie sheets, makes sense again.

TBS
Old 09-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #335
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two Revere Ware sauce pans. I received them more than 30 years ago as gifts. I just seem to have grown to hate them. I am so sick of looking at them. Time to get new ones. Right now Cuisinart is looking good to me.

I also have a two cup SS measuring cup that I use all the time for very small jobs in the kitchen. And not just for measuring. Pirate wanted to toss it. He thought it was a tiny pan and not a measuring cup also.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #336
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Right now Cuisinart is looking good to me.

I also have a two cup SS measuring cup that I use all the time for very small jobs in the kitchen. And not just for measuring. Pirate wanted to toss it. He thought it was a tiny pan and not a measuring cup also.
I heard Cuisinart is great for SS.

Yeah I have some weird cooking stuff too. In our last move Beloved Wife threw out my small mixing bowl. And I admit, it was a steel bowl from a military mess kit, and looked like absolute garbage. I still miss it, it was kind of the perfect size for sauce, and it was just the right depth too, where I could whisk in it, but it was still shallow enough I could see the colors of something I was making up. I don't blame her (much) for throwing it out, as it was dented to all hell and maybe stained a bit, didn't look like much, but I miss it. Mainly as I knew that bowl exactly, I could tell just by looking how much stuff I had.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #337
Sous Chef

Food and hygiene products for a house of three goes on about 4000- 5000 SEK per months. That is about 467 - 583 USD per month.

To put in perspective. 1 kilo of onion is about 50 cent, 1 liter milk is about 1 USD, how ever we go for lactosfree which is about 2 dollar for 1 liter, eggs 4 USD per kilo.

And meat is expensive, it is like 7 USD per kilo for half and half mince.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #338
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Food and hygiene products for a house of three goes on about 4000- 5000 SEK per months. That is about 467 - 583 USD per month.

To put in perspective. 1 kilo of onion is about 50 cent, 1 liter milk is about 1 USD, how ever we go for lactosfree which is about 2 dollar for 1 liter, eggs 4 USD per kilo.

And meat is expensive, it is like 7 USD per kilo for half and half mince.
If CakePoet, if your idea is that we pay too much for too expensive foods, I agree with you.

Have seen some good vegan arguments, often they are off the mark. I like my vegan friends, but do still want a meat protien component in my meals.

Onions have a great nutrition to cost ratio. I use them whenever I can. Milk less so as many people are lactose intolerant.

Meat is fine, I like ground beef, often on sale for $1.99 a pound.

TBS
Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #339
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Me too! I cook them in the sauce then vacuum seal them in the sauce. They are super full of flavor when I do this. I reheat them in a water bath. Ready to go in no time.

BRB Thawing meatballs!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:25 AM   #340
Sous Chef

Well that is how expensive food is in Sweden, reason being why meat is so expensive is we pay to keep the animals in good health and happy. We have one Europeans strictest animal husbandry laws. Sweden is expensive when it comes to food, but it isnt as bad as Norway.

I am not going to be vegan, I cant digest that much veggies, I tried , I got really ill. So instead with have smaller portions on the table and fill up with is cheaper.

Pure pork mince is about 5 dollar and you can see it for 3 dollar on sale. Remember do everything by kilo ( 1 kilo= 2.2 pounds)