"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 10-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Master Chef

To me it is pasta

When all else fails, I can boil some pasta (if you're really looking for fast, go with a thin spaghetti/angel hair/small elbows), add some vegetables from the freezer (they can be boiled together), drain, olive oil or butter, and a sprinkle of grated cheese. To add some flavor, instead of salting the pasta water, put in a teaspoon of boulion. If someone in your family has to have meat, chop a chicken breast, slice of beef or pork or a sausage or two. But this takes literally minutes to do, and is a pretty hearty and healthy meal.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I love the way you think, Claire. You have some ingredients you're thinking about, and a basic cooking method. Thank you for not giving a RECIPE! Cooking should be your inspiration of the moment, with the ingredients and methods you prefer, not a list of instructions that someone else made up. That's not as much fun as creating it yourself.

Don't forget the fresh basil and oregano in your pasta saute. Those fresh herbs will add a great aroma and flavor profile.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Sous Chef

What? You add the bag of veggies to the pot of cooking noodles?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Head Chef

yeah, don't see why you can't add the vegetables to the pasta water... it might bring the temp down a bit, but crank it up high and it's not a big deal

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Sous Chef

no kidding! i am going to do that! saves time, pots, and makes certain we'll eat more veggies !!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Mr. Greenjeans

I have been doing this for years. Here's another tip along the same lines...

Do you have frozen shrimp and you want to add them to this pasta creation? Just thaw them in the same collander you would use to drain the pasta by running water over them. Then bring up to temp for serving by just draining the pasta right over them.

The shrimp are gently brought up to serving temp and they aren't overcooked.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

My kids loved boxed mac and cheese, so I would add sliced kielbasa and frozen peas to the pasta water, then continue as usual. It's a nice, kid friendly (yes, loaded with salt, probably, but it's an occasional dinner) one-dish meal.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
My kids loved boxed mac and cheese, so I would add sliced kielbasa and frozen peas to the pasta water, then continue as usual. It's a nice, kid friendly (yes, loaded with salt, probably, but it's an occasional dinner) one-dish meal.

I know I am gonna get it for this...

This works with spam too.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Head Chef

... and it helps boil away some of the fat in the meat (before adding the butter and cheese........)

Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

I do the same. You can also add uncooked egg noodles to your crock pot after the other things are done, and they will cook in no time.

Another hint...I brown ground meat in the nuke in the same bowl I'm going to cook the sauce or casserole in. Dump it in a colander, and drain pasta over the top. Same deal with washing away the grease.

I like to cook spaghetti sauce in the nuke. You don't have to worry about it scorching that way. Do cover bowl with a piece of waxed paper, though, so sauce won't pop all over and make a mess.