Wine pairing with Thai?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Is there a good wine to pair with a thai pasta dish? It has a peanut-buttery based sauce. I am thinking of serving a salad of some sort with it.

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF][FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]Gewüztraminer[/FONT][/FONT], especially Navarro. Their Muscat Blanc, Riesling, and Pinot Gris are also good choices. 10% off on a case, shipping only $0.01 per case until the end of April. And, no, you won't find this stuff in your local wine shop -- it all goes to their mail list and direct orders.

Gewurztraminers, Rieslings, Pinot Gris, whether from Alsace (France) or Germany, are good choices for spicy food, hence, Thai. Personally, I find most American versions of the above too sweet, and sometimes short of the acidity needed to balance with the heat.

Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page's book, "What to Drink with What You Eat," is a great resource for beeverage pairing of all kinds.

IMO, asking what wine goes with Thai food is like asking the same question about american food and wine. Most of the posts seem to assume a spicy dish, with which I would pour a sweeter white (Reisling, Gewustraminer, etc) However, not all Thai dishes are spicy, sweeter dishes at my table would be served with a dry white. My present favorite is Kim Crawfore Sav Blanc. I have also used Muscadet and dry Chards. This style cuts the sweetness. Reislings, etc often add an extra layer of sweet which is too much for me.

Sav Blancs are at the top of my list for drier whites. Never tried Shiraz with Thai, but it ought to work well with red meat stir fries in particular. Washington State also has some reasonably priced good Shiraz.

I would also toss in Spanish Verdejo or an Argentinian Torrontés.
Both have a fruity edge but with herbal side notes I think would go well with Thai spices.

...Personally, I find most American versions of the above too sweet, and sometimes short of the acidity needed to balance with the heat....
I tend to agree, but 3 of the 4 Navarro wines I recommended have residual sugar levels of 3/10% or less, and acidity levels of 7.1 to 7.7g/L. These are the exception to your comment about American wines.

Another excellent choice, if you can find it, would be the 2007 Ch. Ste. Michelle "Eroica" Riesling from Washington State. Superb wine!

IMHO, most Sauvignon Blancs are too dry for the sort of Thai food that I'm used to. However, the Kim Crawford versions, as well as Navarro's very dry [FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF][FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]Cuvée[/FONT][/FONT]128, are excellent choices.

Just don't give me any Chardonnay with my Thai or Chinese food.

p.s. -- Shiraz wouldn't be on my list of good choices for Thai, although I'm still a big fan of all things Oz.

I tend to agree, but 3 of the 4 Navarro wines I recommended have residual sugar levels of 3/10% or less, and acidity levels of 7.1 to 7.7g/L. These are the exception to your comment about American wines.

I will have to look for those. I am unfamiliar with them. :)

Another excellent choice, if you can find it, would be the 2007 Ch. Ste. Michelle "Eroica" Riesling from Washington State. Superb wine!
I'm a BIG fan of Eroica, but at $22, it's not an "Everyday" wine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom