Fat in duck and chicken..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I can not digest to much fat because of inflammation of my gut :ermm:

I have a question about duck.

If I roast/bake a whole duck but don't eat the skin will it still contain a lot of fat?

If I roast a chicken with the skin on and don't eat the skin. How much fat will it then contain? Does the fat goes "inside" the meat or will it stay in the skin?

The fat from the skin does not go into the meat. The fat melts and runs off. In general, poultry without the skin is among the leanest meat available. Whether it's lean enough for you is another question.

An even more lean meat than chicken is rabbit. 98% of rabbit fat is attached to the skin and is removed during processing. It is recommended by the American Heart Assoc.

An even more lean meat than chicken is rabbit. 98% of rabbit fat is attached to the skin and is removed during processing. It is recommended by the American Heart Assoc.

I know about rabbit and I love rabbit :chef:

I have had French loop for 4 years but know I have a break but I miss the meat because it is so good.

If you have this kind of problem I would remove skin before cooking, and also cook on the rack or grill, so all the fat dripps down.

If you have this kind of problem I would remove skin before cooking, and also cook on the rack or grill, so all the fat dripps down.

It would totally dry out though. The skin keeps the flesh moist.

Just score the surface of the skin (don't cut all the way through!) sort of like gutters for the fat and then definitely put it up on a rack.

Depending how bad the problem is, that might be the risk he (or is it she) will have to take. There are other things to do to prevent it from drying, i.e. cover it with foil, spray with some liquid, cook shorter time.

It has not been any problem yet. I bake the chicken with the skin on and take of the skin before I eat it :)

Back
Top Bottom