"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Help! Roasting a whole chicken .....

How do you roast a whole chicken? I have no problem roasting chicken parts, but when it comes to a whole chicken, I just can't get it right. Tonight the chicken is back in the oven for the third time. When I cut into the thigh, it was still pink around the bone. I have followed several recipes, but I still have problems. Tonight, I roasted a 4 pound chicken on a rack at 350 degrees F for
1 1/2 hours. Before I roasted it, I let it sit out to come to room temperature as one recipe suggested. I've checked my oven and the temperature is accurate. I am about to give up and just stick to chicken parts! Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Try this:

Baked Chicken Dinner Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network

Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

...or, try this.

Barbara Kafka's Simplest Roast Chicken recipe on Food52.com
Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

Or try beer butt chicken in a standing position in the oven. The dark meat cooks hotter than the white meat in both the oven or on a grill. As far as I'm concerned it's the most efficient way to roast chicken. You don't have to use beer, you can use wine or nothing at all with a standing rack for your chicken.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I pre-salt our chickens with 3/4 tsp. kosher salt per pound...salt inside and out, using Judy Rodger's Zuni Cafe method. Stick it in the fridge for a day (I often salt it early in the morning for that night's dinner). You can stuff herbs under the skin, but I don't bother. Mostly I just roast it plain. Then roast as per Barbara Kafka (although I use 450F until thigh registers 160F on a meat thermometer...it doesn't take much longer...500F scares me, lol). It always comes out moist and perfect. Here's the recipe (I sort of) follow: Thibeault's Table The Recipe Collection: Simplest Roast Chicken.

I've done it this way using my pottery beer butt chicken cooker, too. With wine and herbs in the "can" part.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Or try beer butt chicken in a standing position in the oven. The dark meat cooks hotter than the white meat in both the oven or on a grill. As far as I'm concerned it's the most efficient way to roast chicken. You don't have to use beer, you can use wine or nothing at all with a standing rack for your chicken.
Absolutely!

Beer/soda can is the way to go!

I just love the all over tan and even cooking.

I use an empty can (wrapped in aluminum foil) and roast at 350 for approx. 20 minutes per pound.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
Master Chef

Use a meat thermometer
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Preheat oven to 200 F. Yes 200 F. NO higher.
Rub a slurry of Kosher salt and white vinegar all over the bird. Stick a halved lemon in the cavity with a sprig of fresh thyme. Into roasting pan. Middle rack in oven. Check deep internal temp. When the temp. reaches 155 F, which will take a couple of hours more or less depending on the type of bird/size remove from the oven. Lightly tent for about 15 minutes.
Crank up your broiler setting to screaming hot.
Apply another slurry of Kosher salt/white vinegar to the bird. The bird will at this point look pretty anemic.
Bird into oven with the oven light on. Watch as the skin turns a nice golden brown in a couple of minutes.
Remove bird. Lightly tent. Rest for 30 or so minutes. Carve.
This is referred to as the 'low and slow' method.
Ever had a chicken that has basically the texture of shoe leather on the surface? Yes?
That's b/c all protein strands basically turn into rubber bands when they are heated over 212 F. Same with fried eggs.
It takes some people a long time to try the 'low and slow' method but I have never met one person who has tried the method who would ever go back to using high heat to cook any bird.
Your problem is the high heat is roasting the exterior of the bird and leaving the interior uncooked.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

Cooking chicken at 200 can give you food poisoning.

Commercial poultry is already laden with bacteria and cooking it at such a low temperature encourages the bacteria to grow exponentially.

If one must cook chicken at a low temp, the chicken should start in a very hot oven to kill surface bacteria before turning the oven down.

I've always had great success with Barbara Kafka's high heat method. Never turns to shoe
leather. Also the Zuni chicken recipe is a bit fussier but always comes out great.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Cooking chicken at 200 can give you food poisoning.

Commercial poultry is already laden with bacteria and cooking it at such a low temperature encourages the bacteria to grow exponentially.

If one must cook chicken at a low temp, the chicken should start in a very hot oven to kill surface bacteria before turning the oven down.

I've always had great success with Barbara Kafka's high heat method. Never turns to shoe
leather. Also the Zuni chicken recipe is a bit fussier but always comes out great.
Tell that to the tens of thousands of 'Sous Vide' fans.
The recommended cooking temp. of chicken for dark meat is 167 F.
You need to do some research on what temps. and times are used to kill bacteria.
Sous Vide Time and Temperature Guide | Science | ChefSteps

Tags
chicken, roast