"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I know. You take a look at a recipe, and immediately think 'yuk!, I could never do that!' What some people take to be haute cuisine is revolting to others. That's the magnificent world of taste, and what you're used to. So you vary it, make it your own, and THAT'S one of the most important things about cooking. As they say, one man's meat is another man's poison!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I like to use herb seasoned stuffing cubes. I sauté onion, celery and chopped mushrooms in butter. Then I add Bell's poultry seasoning, ground dry porcini mushrooms and fresh chopped rosemary, sage and thyme. Then turkey or chicken stock is added and bring to boil add stuffing cubes stir to moisten. No eggs added. Sometimes I add sage sausage usually not. At this point it is served or placed in oven to stay warm.

msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm still going back and forth over whether to do the stuffing in the bird, or on the stove.

If I do it in the bird, I'm dicing up a loaf of my sourdough bread, apples, walnuts and raisins, a little salt pepper, some rosemary and thyme, and that is it.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Stuffings for turkey and chicken

I don't do stuffing/dressing in the bird due to the ookies. My grandma did it both ways, one stuffed up the turkey's butt, the other in a casserole dish. I could always tell the difference.

I'm enjoying the recipes and ideas! I'm a purist. No cornbread, no sausage, just a lot of poultry seasoning, white bread chunks, a bit of chicken broth, and butter, celery, and onion.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
Master Chef

Just make sure it comes to 165 degrees

You need to use a thermometer

Otherwise you risk serious food poisoning
Old 11-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't do stuffing/dressing in the bird due to the ookies. My grandma did it both ways, one stuffed up the turkey's butt, the other in a casserole dish. I could always tell the difference.

I'm enjoying the recipes and ideas! I'm a purist. No cornbread, no sausage, just a lot of poultry seasoning, white bread chunks, a bit of chicken broth, and butter, celery, and onion.
I don't like cornbread stuffing either. It has to be cubes not those crumbles. I also add walnuts for a little crunch. I put stuffing on my turkey sandwiches and the walnuts give it a nice crunch. I've only put sausage in my stuffing twice when asked.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I don't like cornbread stuffing either. It has to be cubes not those crumbles. I also add walnuts for a little crunch. I put stuffing on my turkey sandwiches and the walnuts give it a nice crunch. I've only put sausage in my stuffing twice when asked.

Exactly. Walnuts in stuffing interest me, I'll have to give those a shot!

I adore day-after-Thanksgiving casserole!

I think the cornbread stuffing is a southern thing. I have no issue with cornbread by itself, but in my opinion, it has no place by my turkey and gravy.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
Master Chef

I also love Thanksgiving leftover casseroles! Almost better than the original dinner itself. Or at least just as good.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Jeebus, Cheryl, me too!

I still do not understand this cornbread stuffing thing. What an unusual thing to do.

My dear MIL makes an oyster dressing. It tastes like stuff I cough up after smoking too many cigs.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Just make sure it comes to 165 degrees

You need to use a thermometer

Otherwise you risk serious food poisoning
Yeah, another thing I haven't found in the move.... Some of you guys here have been trying to convince me these newfangled digital thermometers are awesome, and they sound like it.

I might bite the bullet and buy one for this year. I want everything to go right.

First time I have ever done the Dinner at my place, even though it is only four people, Father in Law, Mom, Beloved Wife and I it feels very important.

Still searching for my beloved very beat up thermometer, had that from my first restaurant job. (achem. Ernie's Sandwich Shop, Sesame Place Amusement Park, outside of Philly).

TBS

Tags
chicken, recipe, stuffing, turkey

Stuffings for turkey and chicken The last time I posted a stuffing recipe, I think it might have been on the turkey thread. The other day I came across (when I say 'came across', I mean I was litereally walking past it for weeks on my desk, and I didn't look at it twice) but now I'm thinking of Christmas, I'm also thinking of Christmas menus etc. The recipe caught my eye, and after so many years of thinking 'Italian is best', I thought 'Mmmmm', this could be good. I made it today, and the aromas are very appealing. I think it could be a winner, so here it is: Orange and pork stuffing: for a 2lb chicken Clean the bird in salted water for 20 mins then dry it off. 60 oz minced pork , lean and fat 3 - 6 oz fresh grated fresh bread 3 - 6oz ground almonds 1 tbsp soaked raisins 1 small onion chopped by hand together with 2 cloves garlic Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange 1 1/2 tsp of 'quatre epices' ' cloves, cinnamon. nutmeg, allspice) Pinch of freshly chopped mixed herbs juice and rind of one medium orange Mix all the ingredients together, stuff the bird, roast it, enjoy the aromas, and enjoy the meal. Usual accompaniments. di reston (I've got my computer with me in the hospital - you keep me cheerful) Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde 6oz minced pork 3 stars 1 reviews