Turkey and other birds done right!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Health Canada's Food Guide, 2.5 oz. of cooked turkey equals one portion. If the weight reduces by 15% after cooking (I'm just guessing, it might be more ), a 12 lb turkey would be approximately 65 servings! Hmmmm....I guess I'm feeding a crowd today with my 12 lb turkey, not just two...I thought the recommendation when deciding which turkey to buy, the rule of thumb was 1 lb / person?

Last edited:
According to Health Canada's Food Guide, 2.5 oz. of cooked turkey equals one portion. If the weight reduces by 15% after cooking (I'm just guessing, it might be more ), a 12 lb turkey would be approximately 65 servings! Hmmmm....I guess I'm feeding a crowd today with my 12 lb turkey, not just two...I thought the recommendation when deciding which turkey to buy, the rule of thumb was 1 lb / person?

Are you counting in the bones that comprise a significant amount of the turkey's weight? You are probably only getting 9 pounds of edible meat off that turkey.

Are you counting in the bones that comprise a significant amount of the turkey's weight? You are probably only getting 9 pounds of edible meat off that turkey.
Even at 9 pounds of edible meat, minus 15% for loss during cooking, it would be around 50 portions! Just for fun, I will weigh the amount I put on my plate to see how many portions I really eat when I eat turkey!

Even at 9 pounds of edible meat, minus 15% for loss during cooking, it would be around 50 portions! Just for fun, I will weigh the amount I put on my plate to see how many portions I really eat when I eat turkey!

Are you going to number the plates???:LOL::pig::ROFLMAO:

Does the 5lb, after nap or half-time turkey sandwich count as portions?:ROFLMAO:

I'd buy a 12 pound turkey for 4 people. That's quite small.
In our house, it serves 2 with some leftovers, but not a lot! The DH eats almost 1/2 of a turkey at one sitting and he is NOT overweight, if anything, he is underweight...maybe he has a tapeworm...

Why does there have to be one right way to roast a turkey?
Why would anyone assume that there is only one right way?

I have cooked dry as a desert turkeys. I don't anymore.

I found one of the ways to do the job and use that method now. Works great, I'm happy, so is everyone who eats it.

Turning a turkey upside down doesn't guarantee a moister breast. Cooking it the proper amount of time does.

If your turkey is dry you overcooked it.

According to Health Canada's Food Guide, 2.5 oz. of cooked turkey equals one portion....

So a pound of cooked turkey feeds 6 people with leftovers?

What's the conversion rate to get from Canadian portions to US portions?

So a pound of cooked turkey feeds 6 people with leftovers?

What's the conversion rate to get from Canadian portions to US portions?
:LOL::LOL:No idea--but obesity is also a problem in Canada...I doubt 1 lb of turkey would feed 6 adults...with leftovers. Maybe 1 adult and five toddlers!

I believe a US portion is 3-1/2 ounces, so we get an extra ounce of turkey. Yay!

U-S-A... U-S-A...! :LOL:

Seriously, regardless of what the government dietary experts recommend, I always figure 4 ounces is a portion of meat. It makes it easy to divide a pound of meat into 4 equal portions. I sure wouldn't go smaller than that. I had a 4.25 ounce (pre-cooked weight) ribeye last night and it looked tiny on my plate sitting next to the relative mountain of veggies.

I believe a US portion is 3-1/2 ounces, so we get an extra ounce of turkey. Yay!

U-S-A... U-S-A...! :LOL:

Seriously, regardless of what the government dietary experts recommend, I always figure 4 ounces is a portion of meat. It makes it easy to divide a pound of meat into 4 equal portions. I sure wouldn't go smaller than that. I had a 4.25 ounce (pre-cooked weight) ribeye last night and it looked tiny on my plate sitting next to the relative mountain of veggies.
Oh, goodie! I'm a US-citizen, so I can follow US portion guidelines guilt-free! Lucky me! Unlucky DH!

Why does there have to be one right way to roast a turkey?
Why would anyone assume that there is only one right way?

I have cooked dry as a desert turkeys. I don't anymore.

I found one of the ways to do the job and use that method now. Works great, I'm happy, so is everyone who eats it.

Turning a turkey upside down doesn't guarantee a moister breast. Cooking it the proper amount of time does.

If your turkey is dry you overcooked it.
I agree with there is no right way or wrong way. Some people like well done steak and some people like rare. So, why can't a turkey, or anything else for that matter be the same way? I like a brown, crispy skin with a nice toasted crust on the protruding stuffing. As we all know the browner the turkey gets, the tastier the gravy will likely be. Dry white meat? That's what gravy and cranberries(and turkey sandwiches with mayonnaise) are for. :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom