"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
Master Chef

To get good seasoning into a chicken (or any other poultry) you are roasting whole, cut a lemon in half and stuff into the cavity, along with a head of garlic, broken up (don't need to peel), and whatever herbs you have on hand. You can throw a chile pepper in there as well, if you like. The seasonings will permeate the meat much more than anything your rub on the skin. Discard most of the seasonings when you carve the bird, unless you're a garlic lover. If the latter, put the cloves on a small bowl or platter, and smear on chunks of bread.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Hi all,

We're on a tight budget the next couple weeks and our grocer has whole chickens on sale for .79/lb. I've never bought a whole chicken before and I'm a terrible butcher What do you think would be the easiest way for me to prepare it? My husband refuses to eat chicken off the bone so I'll need to address that... you all are so helpful, thanks in advance!!
Check out this great slide show of how to bone a chicken. It makes it really easy

Pamspies

Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Success!! I stuffed the cavity with what I had: onions, celery and garlic. I mixed up some honey butter and tossed in some dried thyme and rosemary and did my best to spread it under the skin. I followed Andy's roasting tips and I cut the skin at the legs and put the bird in feet first at 425 degrees. I don't even have a thermometer and the thing was cooked perfectly and very juicy. I covered it with foil and took it off for the last 15 mins of cooking... the skin got crispy fast so I'm glad I used the foil. Thanks to all!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Success!! I stuffed the cavity with what I had: onions, celery and garlic. I mixed up some honey butter and tossed in some dried thyme and rosemary and did my best to spread it under the skin. I followed Andy's roasting tips and I cut the skin at the legs and put the bird in feet first at 425 degrees. I don't even have a thermometer and the thing was cooked perfectly and very juicy. I covered it with foil and took it off for the last 15 mins of cooking... the skin got crispy fast so I'm glad I used the foil. Thanks to all!
Thanks so much for the report, snickerdoodle. We all love helping folks, and it means a lot to us to hear reports. Glad it worked out for you. Was your family impressed?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Glad it all worked out well. Now you're a pro!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Dh liked it! Although, he was thoroughly disgusted when I was bagging up the carcass for later use LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Success!!
That's great Snickerdoodle!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
Senior Cook

OK since I'm still new at whole chickens I have another question...

Last time I roasted the chicken I bought a disposable foil roasting pan to do it, worked great. This time, I couldn't justify spending the $2.50 on the pan. I don't own a roasting pan. However, I have a large crock pot (the crockery insert part) that looks suitable but I'm not sure if it's a good idea... thoughts?? I'm only looking to cook the chicken, not dress it up and make it fancy. I'll just be picking the meat off the carcass for use in other dishes. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
OK since I'm still new at whole chickens I have another question...

Last time I roasted the chicken I bought a disposable foil roasting pan to do it, worked great. This time, I couldn't justify spending the $2.50 on the pan. I don't own a roasting pan. However, I have a large crock pot (the crockery insert part) that looks suitable but I'm not sure if it's a good idea... thoughts?? I'm only looking to cook the chicken, not dress it up and make it fancy. I'll just be picking the meat off the carcass for use in other dishes. Thanks in advance!

I use a 13x9 baking pan to roast chickens. It has 1" high sides - basically a cookie sheet. Line it with foil for easy clean up and go for it.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #30
Master Chef

For this purpose, your crock pot is perfect. It isn't a roasted chicken, and the skin is useless (to me). It is what when I was a kid was called a stewed chicken. Put as much onion, garlic, thyme, sage, celery, garlic as you can squeeze around the chicken, as well as in the cavity. If you have a large crock pot, fill the rest of the space with chunks of carrot and potato. Cover with water. Then cook according to your pot instructions. You don't want the water to boil, just simmer all day, below a boil. Pull out the bird, strain the liquid. When cool enough, remove the meat from the carcass et voila! You have the makings for hundreds of recipes, or just serve with the potatoes and carrots. This is such a great base for anything from comfort food (chicken pot pie, tetrazzini, chicken noodle soup) to the exotic (curries, stir fries) to sandwiches.

Tags
None