"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef

mix 1 tablespoon kosher salt w/ 1 tablespoon Bells Seasoning and 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning. This is a great dry rub. dry well and then lightly oil your bird, rub over skin and inside cavity with the dry rub. roast 375 till done (165 internal temp)

Old 08-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Oh, my! Whole roasted chicken is nectar of the gods.

My husband loves it when I slather the outside with olive oil, generously salt and pepper it (using freshly ground black pepper), then loosen the skin all over the breast and slip sprigs of fresh rosemary, butter cubes and garlic slices under it. I usually add several rosemary sprigs and some peeled cloves of garlic to the cavity, too. It's too delicious and the house smells divine as it's cooking. Add some roasted potatoes and steamed fresh green beans and you have a meal that's excellent.
Katie, just saw your post recipe idea. YUM it looks so great. I have 2 whole chickens in the freezer and I now know how I want to fix them. Thanks for sharing.
kades

Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

Favorite baked chicken is wrapped with bacon after being dusted with salt, and granulated garlic. Fill the center with a flavorful brown-rice pilaf cooked in chicken broth (made from the giblets), mixed with diced onion, and garlic, rubbed Sage, Chopped celery, and black pepper. The bacon should completely encase the chicken, which is place in a roasting pan, on a rack above a bed of mushrooms and carrot chunks, and an inch of water. Place in the oven and bake at 375" F., until at meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the breast reads 150' F. Remove the bacon from the bird and increase the oven temperature to 425'. Put the bird back into the oven for about ten minutes to crisp and brown the skin. Again check the meat temperature. When it reads 160' F. remove the bird and let it rest for ten minutes. Remove the bird from the pan and carve. Pour any meat drippings from the platter back into the roasting pan. Remove the mushrooms and bring the meat juices to a boil. Stir in a slurry of 3 tbs. cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup of water to make a gravy. Hit the gravy with an immersion blender to mix in the cooked carrot, or leave in chunks if you prefer. Add the mushrooms back into the gravy, or serve on the side.

2nd favorite baked chicken, follow above instructions, but without the bacon. Cook over a bed of potatoes, onions, or sweet potatoes. Or, make rice or noodles to put the gravy over.

Favorite Whole chicken recipe: Grill it over a divided bed of coals on a Webber Charcoal grill, with the lid on, and over a drip pan. Use the broth from the drip pan to make gravy, or au jus. Salt and pepper to taste.

I also enjoy a pineapple sweet and sour glaze on baked chicken; so very good with the flavors of brown sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and chicken broth, all ballanced with just enough vinegar to give it a bite. Who can say no to that!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I argue with myself about if I prefer hot roast or cold roast whole chicken and to spit or not to spit.
Cold roast chicken, gently force your finger between the skin and breasts to make pockets. Mix ricotta cheese with the fresh herbs of your choice and salt and pepper then fill the pockets, stick some onion, garlic and apple chunks in the other end.
Roast for a little less than normal and let the fowl cool, dont put in the fridge.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Oh, my! Whole roasted chicken is nectar of the gods.

My husband loves it when I slather the outside with olive oil, generously salt and pepper it (using freshly ground black pepper), then loosen the skin all over the breast and slip sprigs of fresh rosemary, butter cubes and garlic slices under it. I usually add several rosemary sprigs and some peeled cloves of garlic to the cavity, too. It's too delicious and the house smells divine as it's cooking. Add some roasted potatoes and steamed fresh green beans and you have a meal that's excellent.
That's just what I do... it works and tastes great!

Tags
chicken, other, recipe

Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe? I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good recipe for a whole chicken. I typically just bake it with salt pepper and butter. and looking to try something new. any suggestions? 3 stars 1 reviews