Sausage, pepperoni etc. pinwheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
newbie here.

i'm new to bread baking and i found a pizza dough recipe and thought i could use this to make sausage rolls, pinwheels and such. I did the pepperoni & cheese pinwheel but it was not as soft as i would have liked. anyone make these before and have a good dough recipe i can use? i baked them at 400 degrees but they were minis, could this have been the reason it was not soft? it wasnt burnt. i also just made a sausage roll but it just came out of the oven so i dont know how that is yet. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

no one makes these?? :( . can anyone direct me to a place i can find the answer?

I'm not a bread-maker either, Debbie, but since pizza dough is meant to be crisp, you might try using frozen bread dough instead. I used it to wrap some Polish sausages once, and it worked fine.

i was hoping to make my own dough. is there a recipe i can use that will be softer? i have a french bread recipe that rises well but the top is still crusty so i'm not sure how that will work out. thanks for your reply constance.

oh also i forgot to add. my recipe called for bread flour and i used all purpose. is there a big difference between the 2?

AP flour will make the dough less chewy and more tender. Try baking the pinwheels at a lower temperature.s

I agree with Andy yet again. Bread remains soft because it is substantial in size. It takes heat a while to penetrate that mass of dough. Your pinwheels probably dried out from overcooking.

You can attack this problem in two ways. Either cook the pinwheels at a lower temperature with a pan of wter also in the oven (adds moisture to the oven environmnet and helps keep the crust softer), or increase the temperature so that the outside browns before the inside has the chance to lose its moiture by overheating. Both methods will help you achieve your goal. Remember, if you increase the temperature, decrease the cooking time dramatically. Take the pinwheels out when the crust just begins to brown.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yesterday i did some rolls and i baked at 350 until it started to brown a little then turned the temp up to 450 to let it brown faster and it was perfect. nice and soft & still fully cooked just the way i like it. thank you for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom