Unique and Great Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the explanation. It has had me baffled for some time now.

I looked up panella on the web but I am still not clear what Panella is.
I cannot find the word in any dictionary (other than it is a surname) and even the Epicurious Food Dictionary does not list it.

I did find reference to panela, which is unrefined brown sugar and sometimes called piloncillo. But obviously that is not panella.

I think panella is a kind of bread. But one showing of it from a commercial baker baffled me (I am often baffled!) It said that the dietary fiber in it was zero. I can hardly believe that!

But what is pecan chicken, and what is a vegetarian wrap?

Last edited:
I came to the same conclusion: some kind of bread :)

You know what sandwich I've been wanting to make my hubby for some time? BBQ grilled chicken, on a sub type bread, with cheddar and bacon. I don't know how I came up with that idea. I tried it last week but I'm not very good at cooking chicken!

Last edited:
:) Another good one I have made is a oven roasted vegetables a ratatouille if you will, eggplant,onions,zuchini,mushrooms tomatoes,bell peppers or pretty much anything,roast small cut vegetables , roast really well,you could also grill then cut a bit smaller then add garlic ,italian herbs, a small splash of balsamic vinegar,fresh ground pepper and sea salt.Toast some decent italian ciabatta with olive oil put a good amount of the vegie mix in microwave top with fresh mozzarella and maybe some feta, put on bread. Like I said Im not a vegetarian but I do enjoy a good vegetable sandwich.
This is a good way to use up left over vegetables cooked like above from a dinner.

not popular with most...

My mom introduced me to 2:

mayonnaise and syrup sandwich
and
cold red beans and mayonnaise sandwich

Yum Yum!

'fraid I'd have to agree with the title of your post, mylkii, but hey- whatever floats yer boat.

Bienvenue to our little family, BTW.

Not Sure

Not sure how unique this will be, but it is a fav of ours and totally made up from my perspective!

steakumm steaks or philly steak steaks... slice frozen to 1 inch strips. (3 steaks for 1 hoagie roll)
1 hoagie roll halved and buttered.
1 slice of provolone cheese, cut to fit the hoagie roll
horseradish sauce/dressing

Over medium heat, cook strips of meat seasoned with Nature's Seasoning. Brown on both sides (about 1 min total cooking time), Place meat aside, do not over drain... very important! If watching your cholestorol, then this is not for you!!! After all meat has been browned, (in the same pan) take the halved butter hoagie roll and place cut side down in the pan with all the left over juices from the meat browning procedure, cook till golden brown. Turn off heat and turn both sides of hoagie roll over to reveal browned cut sides. Place provlone on bottom half and then layer the steak strips at a diagonal to the roll. About the layers in total and you will have a few strips left to munch on!. Spread horseradish sauce on top half and enjoy!!!! Yummy!!!! You can also slice up a mushroom or 2 and cook with the meat, goes really great!!!!

Steak-umms - I will say they are a good product for a sandwich. Good tomatoe (I use salad size tomatoes), lettuce such as romaine or radicchio, mayo, and thin sliced sweet onions (spanish or red), and a good bread such as a thick sliced sourdough, or French with a good cheese (your choice), and a sprinkle of a good red wine vinagar is about the best thing on earth....

Here's a sandwich we indulge ourselves with once in a while: Fried Spam slices topped with Velveeta while still warm so that the cheese melts, on white bread with mustard. Wheat bread tastes good with it too, but why change a perfectly un-natural food item?

Unique, probably: Great, I think so!

My favorite sandwich is..........

Butter
Peanut Butter
Very Crisp Lettuce

Best served with chololate milk!!!

( I never said I was sane! ):wacko:

Constance said:
Here's a sandwich we indulge ourselves with once in a while: Fried Spam slices topped with Velveeta while still warm so that the cheese melts, on white bread with mustard. Wheat bread tastes good with it too, but why change a perfectly un-natural food item?

Oh yeah!!!!!

Peanut-butter and apricot preserves -much better than berry or grape jelly IMO. Also tukey with cream cheese and cranberry sauce or jelly is good. Or cream cheese with apples and turkey/bacon. Oh, and turkey pesto (but that can get pricy if its flavorful).

Anyone else like Bologna with sliced pickles and miracle whip on white bread?
Used to eat this as a kid and still love it. (I use Boar's Head German balogna now) My family thinks I'm nuts!

Egg salad is always gonna stay my favorite sandwich. I think it has to do with the fact that I associate it with picnics :)

I have to admit that since moving here to Virginia from New York, I really miss a GOOD cold Italian sub. I'm sure you New Yorkers know what I mean - cappicole ham, salami, provolone, hot cherry peppers, yadayadayada, topped off with good olive oil & vinegar.

Great - now I'm hungry - lol!!!

I salivated when I read this one. Makes a bunch 'o sammiches.

Rosemary Chicken, Avocado and Pancetta Panini
Serving Size 24

24 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 oz. each)

Olive oil, as needed
3 Tbsps. rosemary, finely chopped
12 cloves garlic, finely chopped (11/2 oz.)
6 California avocados (3 lbs.)
1/3 cup lemon juice
Salt and pepper, as needed
48 pieces focaccia (about 4" x 5" each)
3/4 cup lemon aioli
6 tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 3 lbs.)
24 slices pancetta (rounds), fried crisp
Arugula leaves, as needed

Pound chicken breast halves to even thickness, about 3/8".

Lightly coat each piece with olive oil; rub each with some of the rosemary and garlic. Marinate for 3 hours, refrigerated.

Roughly mash avocado; stir in lemon juice; reserve. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Grill chicken until just firm to the touch, about 2 minutes per side; reserve.

Spread 1 piece focaccia with 1/4 cup avocado mixture; spread 1 piece with 1/2 Tbsp. lemon aioli; reserve. Layer avocado with sliced tomato, 1 piece chicken, 1 slice pancetta and arugula leaves. Top with remaining piece of focaccia, aioli side down.

Lightly film a hot frying pan with olive oil. Pan-grill sandwich, lightly pressing it down with a spatula, until focaccia is browned. Turn; repeat procedure. Cut in half on diagonal.

*Stir 1 Tbsp. finely chopped lemon zest into 1 1/2 cups aioli; let stand 1 hour to marry flavors.
**Two thick slices of bacon, fried, may be substituted per sandwich.

Last edited:
Pounded to about 3/8" thickness and about 2 minutes per side.

Back
Top Bottom