"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Better bread rise

I tried making bread today for the first tiem since actually learning correctly how to knead dough (I had no idea about the folding!). It came out great, but a bit flatter than I had hoped.

Does anyone have any tips on making it rise even higher? I think it's probably because the dough was wetter, so it seemed more inclined to spread out a bit than puff up, but I don't really want to use less water as I was happy with the structure of the bread inside. Are there any shaping techniques which would work?

Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

When you're working with a wet dough, I think the only solution is to bake it in a loaf pan, or a three-quart Dutch oven if you're using the no-knead method.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

You can put it in a cuff of foil clipped together with metal-only paper clips to the size you want, although some may ooze out the bottom. You can also use just the ring of a springform pan to keep it from spreading out. I've done both, that's how I know about the ooze. You can also use a tall (3") cake pan in the size round you want. Wouldn't use a short cake pan as it's liable to flop over the sides.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
You can also use a tall (3") cake pan in the size round you want. Wouldn't use a short cake pan as it's liable to flop over the sides.
Yes, that's a great idea. My recipe for focaccia calls for baking it in a cake pan.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Depending on how serious you want to get about bread, I was on this forum for a while and I learned a ton about breads and baking.

The Fresh Loaf | News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

I was told there are a lot of things that affect your bread making that people don't even know about. For instance, I heard not to use iodized salt and to make sure that you use purified water, because the chemicals in your tap water can affect how the bread rises and tastes.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

How about tell what you did, i.e. Recipe so we can try to figure out what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
How about tell what you did, i.e. Recipe so we can try to figure out what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Pretty much did, wet dough, not contained, so it spreads out instead of up. Said was happy with texture. That's why GG and I gave options for containing it so it rises up only. Some bread doughs you want a bit wet/very soft and they have to be contained or they'll spread out.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthseaxa View Post
I tried making bread today for the first tiem since actually learning correctly how to knead dough (I had no idea about the folding!). It came out great, but a bit flatter than I had hoped.

Does anyone have any tips on making it rise even higher? I think it's probably because the dough was wetter, so it seemed more inclined to spread out a bit than puff up, but I don't really want to use less water as I was happy with the structure of the bread inside. Are there any shaping techniques which would work?
The texture looks good so I wouldn't fiddle with the ingredients.

I'm with GG on this - How about baking in a loaf tin/pan?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I will have to try it in a loaf tin next. I have one that I have never used, so I should give that a go. Thanks for the tips everyone; glad to know it's not actually something I'm doing wrong :)

Tags
bread