French bread....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no Kitchenaid mixer nor bread machine either. I fear if I did, I'd put them on the counter and just stare at them. Think I overbought with the Cuisinart food processor and Kitchenaid blender. I really didn't need either one, but they were so pretty. And on sale.

Last edited:
Thank you, SirLoin. :LOL: I copied and saved your link. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only ones here who doesn't have the latest in KitchenAids and bread machines. LOL :)

No apologies necessary, Cheryl. I have my original KitchenAid mixer I bought when my children were small. They're now in their 40s. And, just last year, Glenn replaced my Cuisinart. I'd had it since 1974 and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Needless to say, it stood up to all the slicing, dicing, chopping, blending, etc. I made it do. When I got my new one, I donated my old one to a food kitchen. It's still probably going strong.

No apologies necessary, Cheryl. I have my original KitchenAid mixer I bought when my children were small. They're now in their 40s. And, just last year, Glenn replaced my Cuisinart. I'd had it since 1974 and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Needless to say, it stood up to all the slicing, dicing, chopping, blending, etc. I made it do. When I got my new one, I donated my old one to a food kitchen. It's still probably going strong.

Thanks for a great idea. My son wants my KA mixer. So that is settled. But our church has a kitchen that could use the Robot Coupe food processor and my smaller one that I use for other chores. If any of my kids don't want them, I am going to have to let them know my wishes. :angel:

Same with me, Kayelle and Cheryl! I still use my Mom's old ("born" right around the same time I was) Oster Kitchen Center. It has stand mixer/meat grinder/blender/food chopper parts and it still works fine! Much as I lust after a nice Kitchen Aid mixer, I can't justify the money for something I don't use that often.

Same with me, Kayelle and Cheryl! I still use my Mom's old ("born" right around the same time I was) Oster Kitchen Center. It has stand mixer/meat grinder/blender/food chopper parts and it still works fine! Much as I lust after a nice Kitchen Aid mixer, I can't justify the money for something I don't use that often.

My sister had an Oster Kitchen Center. She loved it. She kept it on her counter so everyone could see it and hanker after it. :angel:

My first try at homemade French bread today. :) I used Princess's recipe from BHAG, and mixed everything by hand since I don't have the latest kitchen goodies. It was fun. :LOL:

I used Katie's suggestion of steaming water in the microwave and using that warm environment to proof the bread, since it was a little on the cool side here today.

It turned out wonderful. :yum: Another 3 seconds and I would have overbaked it. :ermm::LOL: I really liked the crust and the tender inside. I couldn't resist buttering a slice right away, and dinner this evening will be grilled cheese sandwiches with smoked gouda, and soup.

Thank you to all for your suggestions!

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 240
Thank you, ladies! It wasn't the prettiest, but boy did it taste good! I'll definitely make this again.

My first try at homemade French bread today. :) I used Princess's recipe from BHAG, and mixed everything by hand since I don't have the latest kitchen goodies. It was fun. :LOL:

I used Katie's suggestion of steaming water in the microwave and using that warm environment to proof the bread, since it was a little on the cool side here today.

It turned out wonderful. :yum: Another 3 seconds and I would have overbaked it. :ermm::LOL: I really liked the crust and the tender inside. I couldn't resist buttering a slice right away, and dinner this evening will be grilled cheese sandwiches with smoked gouda, and soup.

Thank you to all for your suggestions!

Fantastic! Glad it turned out well for you! I still use the recipe, but have subbed in my sourdough starter for the yeast.

Don't know what you mean by not "the prettiest." You did a stellar job. Glad you had such positive success. And I'm pleased you found my proofing method helpful.

Keep going!!!:clap::clap:

:clap::clap::flowers: See, that wasn't hard now was it! And you know the best time to make bread? When you are mad at someone. Then every time you get to slap it down on the counter, you can pretend it is whoever you are mad at. A great way to disperse your anger and frustrations. Some of the worlds best bread has come forth from such effort.

And who told you it wasn't pretty? It sure looked pretty to me. And since Katie H. makes all her own bread products, she should know. Don't ever listen to the naysayers. :angel:

:clap::clap::flowers: See, that wasn't hard now was it! And you know the best time to make bread? When you are mad at someone. Then every time you get to slap it down on the counter, you can pretend it is whoever you are mad at. A great way to disperse your anger and frustrations. Some of the worlds best bread has come forth from such effort.

And who told you it wasn't pretty? It sure looked pretty to me. And since Katie H. makes all her own bread products, she should know. Don't ever listen to the naysayers. :angel:

LOL :LOL: Thank you, Addie. :flowers:

Thank you Princess and Katie! I think I could really get into this. :):yum::LOL:

Looks good Cheryl. Now that you've gotten your feet wet, there is no telling how far you can go. Fresh home made bread is so far superior to store bought in most respects - the only negative is that it has a much shorter shelf life - if not eaten in a couple of days it still makes great croutons. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom