Onion Bagels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In response to a couple of requests, here is my recipe for onion bagels. Many onion bagels have dried onion flakes on top of the bagels but they tend to burn upon toasting so I put the onion flavor into the bagels.

I like these toasted with cream cheese and lox.

Onion Bagels

700 Gr Warm Tap Water (2⅝ C)

2 Pkg Active Dry Yeast

2 Tb Sugar

1100 Gr Bread Flour

1 Tb Kosher Salt

⅜ C Toasted Onion Flakes

2 tsp Onion Powder

½ Tb Oil

1 Tb Sugar

Combine the water, yeast, and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (coat the top part of the hook with oil). Stir and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes depending on room temperature.

Separately combine the flour, salt, onion flakes and onion powder. Turn the mixer on to the lowest speed and gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl. Mix until the dough comes together. Continue mixing for 7 minutes at speed setting 4 until a stiff dough is formed.

Remove the dough from the bowl and oil the bowl. Place the dough back in the bowl, turning the dough to coat it completely with oil. Place plastic wrap directly onto the dough surface and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 400º F.

Bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of sugar to boiling in the widest pan available (5[FONT=PC&#47749]½-qt. sauté pan). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.[/FONT]

Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly by hand to deflate it. Using a scale and a calculator, remove 1/18th of the dough from the bowl and form it into a smooth ball then poke your finger through the center of a ball and twirl it around your finger to enlarge it to a 3[FONT=PC&#47749]½-4 inch diameter. Repeat for all the dough. Place the shaped bagels on a floured surface and cover with a towel.[/FONT]

Place bagels top down into the boiling water and boil for 1 minute, flipping them over after 30 seconds. Remove the boiled bagels to the baking sheet. Repeat until three pans are filled with six bagels each.

Place the three pans into the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until medium golden brown. Move the pans around from shelf to shelf and turn them front to back during the baking time to ensure even baking.

Cool completely before wrapping for storage.
Thank you for posting the recipie andy. I will need to figure out what grams are to pounds to make them.

This recipe makes 18 bagels. You can halve it if you like.

the 700 grams of water is 2 5/8 cups. The flour is 2.4 pounds (just under 2 Lb 7 Oz).

Thanks SB for bringing up Andy's recipe. What are Toasted Onion Flakes? Is this the same as Dehydrated onions that you dry toast rather than hydrate?

I think using real onyuns chopped and carmelized sounds good too.

Thanks SB for bringing up Andy's recipe. What are Toasted Onion Flakes? Is this the same as Dehydrated onions that you dry toast rather than hydrate?

I think using real onyuns chopped and carmelized sounds good too.

Penzeys offers two types of onion flakes. Regular and toasted. I use the toasted as it has a flavor I like better for the bagels. I also use their onion powder. You can toast regular onion flakes to a golden brown for the same result.

I haven't tried adding caramelized chopped onions. I guess I should.

We always partially re-hydrated the onion flakes before toasting, they were slightly softer and had a good sweet taste to the toasted part. Stuck better to the bagel, too.

We always partially re-hydrated the onion flakes before toasting, they were slightly softer and had a good sweet taste to the toasted part. Stuck better to the bagel, too.

I don't put the onion flakes on top of the bagel. I mix them into the dough. They rehydrate while the dough is rising and they don't burn during baking or toasting.

I don't put the onion flakes on top of the bagel. I mix them into the dough. They rehydrate while the dough is rising and they don't burn during baking or toasting.

D'oh...I was thinking of toppings. :wacko: Time for lunch or a brain transplant.

Darn, not any more. Missed it, grrr....
I get my Diningdownloads notification around 7-7:30 p.m. EDT every day--if you haven't subbed, you might want to....sorry, Charlie. Guess you missed the Jewish Cooking isn't just about Briskets e-cookbook as well. I don't always post the freebies, but try to post them if there has been a recent thread.

Andy, thank you. Finally made it today. Did not make onion, did not have onion flakes, or onion powder, but plain ones are just as good or better, because I do not like onion;).
Will try to post pictures tomorrow. They came out smushy (is it even a word?), but tasted good. Wonder what I should do to make them look smother? Thank you.

Ok, let's see if I can download the picks right from my phone.
Aha, good looks like it worked. Take a look Andy, they were nice and fluffy, but after baking, actually I think after boiling they all got flat. I'm sure I did something wrong. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0380[1].jpg
    IMG_0380[1].jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0381[1].jpg
    IMG_0381[1].jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 196
Charlie, I see you had inconsistent results. Some were flatter and not evenly formed. I think a lot of that comes from overworking the dough while you are shaping them. This happens to me when the bagel doesn't form properly or breaks when I'm shaping it and I have to fix the problem. Most of the ones shown look evenly baked and have nice plump profile.

If you don't overproof the dough and cut back on the second rise and boil them sooner, you might get better results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom