"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Problem with burnt bottoms of bread rolls... any advice?

Hi everyone,

I recently started a home-based business, making baked goods and selling them to local residents and at the local convenience store.

I've just been asked by a 'gourmet-ish' burger van to supply them with brioche hamburger buns. I have a great recipe and tested them today. Unfortunately the bottom of the rolls burned a little.

I experience this problem sometimes with other breads, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something obviously wrong?

I use parchment paper (good for up to 400F). Rolls were baked at 400F and roll bottoms burned + paper turned dark brown c. 5 mins before the 15-minute baking time was up.

But I make French Baguettes on a very regular basis and experience no burning / paper browning at 450F. I line the paper for the baguettes with cornmeal and it doesn't burn either. I use a longer baking tray for the baguettes.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Follow my 365 Day Mrs Beeton adventure at: http://mrsbeetonin365days.wordpress.com
VegLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Master Chef

I sometimes double the pans or set pans on a baking sheet to prevent browning.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Doesn't it sometimes help to cook them in the top half of the oven?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Wondering, sugar in the brioch dough and not in the French? Maybe reduce your oven temp? Mine tends to run hot so I lower the temp with anything that has sugar in it.Not sure though. I don't bake a lot
kades
Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

Three things have been mentioned, and each is relevant. Cook your bread in the top half of the oven. make sure the oven temperature is accurate. Cook on a shiny, silver pan rather than a dark pan. Dark colors absorb heat more effeciently, and so the metal of the pan is hotter, which can burn the foods touching them.

Using a product, like an air-bake pan helps insulate the cooking surface from getting too hot. Another approach would be to line your baking sheets with a Silpat mat, or other silicone baking sheet. Silicone is a poor heat conductor and so will allow the bread to cook through without burning the bottom crust.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

400 seems high for such a rich dough. Brioche has sugar and eggs, correct? I would lower the temperature and if that doesn't work, double up on the pans.

Brioche will always be a bit darker on the bottom, but shouldn't taste burned.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone, I love you guys! Any time I have a question about something, people on this forum are so helpful and obliging.

I'll give some of these suggestions a try on another test batch tomorrow and see how it goes. Thank you very much!!!

Follow my 365 Day Mrs Beeton adventure at: http://mrsbeetonin365days.wordpress.com
VegLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Head Chef

When I make pasties, I add a little sugar to the dough to promote browning.

From what I read, sugar in dough starts to brown/caramelize at 347 degrees F. So for doughs with sugar, it might have to be baked at a little lower temperature.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Cook on a shiny, silver pan rather than a dark pan. Dark colors absorb heat more effeciently, and so the metal of the pan is hotter, which can burn the foods touching them.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP question. An America's Test Kitchen clued me in to the ways that color and other qualities of baking pans and sheets can affect browning. I would suggest trying a different pan. Longwind knows more than me about it and I wouldn't presume to add anything more.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

The only time I've had a problem with a burnt bottom was when sunbathing in the nude..but seriously, different pan, adjust the shelf height, and check to see if your oven runs true. The oven at the farm is about 25 degrees hotter than what the dial says.

Tags
bread, rolls