What would cause doughy bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My regular bread recipe is:

1 1/2 pounds bread flour
2 tsp instant yeast
2 short tsp salt
3 tbs oil (usually use vegetable oil)
approx 375ml warm water (200 cold + 175 boilingish)

I use my Kenwood to mix all the the ingredients to make the dough. This is placed in an oiled bowl for approx 1hr in warm room (kitchen with the ovens on), covered. Knock it back and shape it or put into 2lb loaf tin. I used to use 3lb tins but can't get them anymore. Cover and leave to rise 45mins to hour. Bake at gas 5 / 190C for about 45 minutes. I make 6 batches on a Sunday morning to last the week.

They mostly turn out great. Watch the water quantity though, the amount used can vary from batch to batch of flour and different suppliers. If dough is sticky - that is too much water.

I just went shopping and got some more ingrediants. I dont have a machine to mix for me :glare: i do it by hand.

Any idea what ratio of flour to water is?

Ok, my latest attempt went as follows;
  • 500g Bread Flour
  • 2 tsp instant yeist
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 350ml boiling water
-Mixed flour, sugar, salt and yeist together.
-Added water bit by bit, mixed together by hand.
-Kneeded for 15 minutes, became really elasticlly.
-Placed in bowl with damp towel over it and let rise for 1 hour.
-Placed in an oiled round tin, floured top and cooked in oven for 45 minutes at Mark 8 (think that is 200 C).
-Removed and let cool, enjoyed with butter or on its own.

Summary it's my best so far. It wasn't doughy or anything.

Ok, my latest attempt went as follows;
  • 500g Bread Flour
  • 2 tsp instant yeist
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 350ml boiling water
-Mixed flour, sugar, salt and yeist together.
-Added water bit by bit, mixed together by hand.
-Kneeded for 15 minutes, became really elasticlly.
-Placed in bowl with damp towel over it and let rise for 1 hour.
-Placed in an oiled round tin, floured top and cooked in oven for 45 minutes at Mark 8 (think that is 200 C).
-Removed and let cool, enjoyed with butter or on its own.

Summary it's my best so far. It wasn't doughy or anything.

Boiling water will kill yeast. Yeast is a living thing. Use lukewarm water, about 110 degrees F.

MJ have you googled bread? There are many sites full of knowledgeable people. I have been on some American ones, that work for me because I use fahrenheit on my oven.

You are going about it the right way, trying to find out what works, but some basic information really helps.

You could try googling breadtopia, or freshloaf. Both are good bread sites.

Packages of yeast have 1 ounce, 2.5 tsp. in each. 100C is boiling point or 312F. Yeast works well in temperatures that you would heat a baby's bottle to, about 38C. You need a little sugar and a little salt in your bread for the yeast to work well. Your first loaf probably had too much flour in it. Kneading without using too much flour, just enough to keep it from sticking to the counter will produce a better product. If the dough is too stiff to knead, let it rest under a bowl for a few minutes and then try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom