"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 10-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Clotted cream is a specialty of Devon and Cornwall, so I think it is the same thing. I haven't had it for ages as it's one of those things you can't eat in moderation!

Old 10-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I suspected so. I hear ya, girlfriend.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
Clotted cream is a specialty of Devon and Cornwall, so I think it is the same thing. I haven't had it for ages as it's one of those things you can't eat in moderation!

You no doubt have heard of Bailey's Irish Cream, well had some Devonshire Cream liquer, given to me. It actually was made with cream from Devon. Well, that was really something else. I sipped it by the teaspoonfull virtually to make it last. I have never seen it in the liquor shops here in Sydney..
Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 PM   #14

Strawberry Scones:

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2/4 cups raisins
1/2 cup thick strawberry jam
melted butter
powdered sugar

Heat oven to 425°. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, milk and raisins, mixing until dry ingredients are just moistened.

With floured hands, pat half of dough into a greased 8-inch round cake pan, pressing and spreading dough evenly. Spread with jam. Top with remaining dough. With sharp knife, cut lightly through dough, making 6 pie-shaped wedges. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Bake for 20-25 min, or until golden brown. Serve with warm butter.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #15

Double Chocolate Cake Scones:

3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 450°. Grease a large cookie sheet. Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to mix well. Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form. Beat the eggs and milk in a small bowl with a wire ehisk or a fork; when thoroughly blended, stir, along with 1/2 cup of the mini chocolate chips and the orange peel into the flour mixture just until blended.

Shape the dough with lightly floured hands into an 8-inch round on the prepared cookie sheet; dust with flour. Score the top of the dough into 8 wedges with a sharp knife. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Meanwhile, stir the remaining 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips in seperate small, heavy saucepans over very low heat until melted and smooth.

Drizzle each chocolate from the tip of of spoon in random lines over the top of the scones. Let stand for 15 minutes to set the chocolate. Cut the scones into wedges along the score lines. Makes 8 scones.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I've been wanting to make scones here, but we don't have self-raising flour and the baking powder is single-action, not double. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do in this case? Can you compensate with something else? Thanks!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I call them DROP BISCUITS, I make them alot:

6 3/4 cup Heckers Flour
1 tbs Kosher Salt
3 tbs sugar
3 tbs plus 2 tsp baking powder
2 sticks plus 5 tbs butter
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tbs dry currants (optional)

Oven 425.
Mix with wire wisk flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Mix with hands the butter or a pastry blender into the flour mix till its crumbly. Add buttermilk, DO NOT OVERMIX. Pick up by palmfuls, drop onto cookie sheet, they should look like an eye shaped biscuit., oval. Brush tops with 1 egg and some cream mixed.
Bake 10-12 minutes. Serve with butter and jelly.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
I've been wanting to make scones here, but we don't have self-raising flour and the baking powder is single-action, not double. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do in this case? Can you compensate with something else? Thanks!
This is the recipe for Baking Powder that we use to substitute for commercial Baking Powder.

Combine two parts cream of tartar plus one part baking soda (Bicarbonate of Soda) plus one part cornstarch.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I am resurrecting this thread with a recipe that I adore and is so simple.

Lemonade and Cream Scones

1cup Cream
1can Lemonade - or can use 355ml if you have a large bottle
1/2tsp salt
4 1/2cup Self-raising Flour

(if making sweet scones add 2 Tbsp sugar to the mix)

Mix the cream, lemonade & salt together until just combined. Add the sifted flour into the mix and fold through until just combined. Tip the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead lightly (the less you work this dough the lighter the scone). Cut the mixture into 8 portions place close together on a floured tray, brush the scones with milk and allow to rest 10 minutes then bake @ 180C until cooked. ( around 15 minutes, light golden brown. Pull one apart gently and check)

If you like dates, use gingerbeer instead of lemonade ( and we mean 7 Up type here..lol) and add chopped dates before you mix dough. ( Sultanas are nice also) If wanting a savoury scone, use soda water, no sugar and increase salt to 1 tsp. Add cheese, scallions, capsicum, ham, cayenne or chilli, parsley et al. What ever you fancy.
Also nice as a roll. Pat dough out onto a floured surface. Cover with a mix of caster sugar and cinammon, roll up and slice. Bake as described.

If you love a soft scone, cover when out of oven with a clean tea cloth.

The secret to this recipe is to handle as little as possible. Buts its still pretty failsafe!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I have Lyn's scone recipe and it's so good! I just looked at the recipe again and I got it Aug 06 2002!!

Hope you don't mind Lyn, but I'll add you notes on the recipe I have for these scones -

"For anyone who has not tasted these scones, please give them a try. I will not use any other recipe for scones, and Tricia agrees!! Also, you can add what you wish. Sometimes I add succulent fresh dates, other times some good tasty cheese with a little corn, ham and scallion. They are not the cheapest scones to make but well worth the extra cost as far as I am concerned.
As I am not sure as to the availability of self raising flour in the rest of the world, I have added the equivalent in regular flour and baking powder. However, S/R flour makes the best scones."

Don't know if I ever thanked you for the recipe Lyn!! thank you... ;)