"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 10-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

What's your favorite SCONE recipe?

I need to make scones. It's been so long (10 years, I bet) and so I don't remember which recipes are good or not!

Please - I need your "can't go wrong" and "these are the best" recipes you have!

Thank you all so very much!

Old 10-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
This is the recipe I have always used, given to me by my grandmother.

2 cups Self Raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
50g butter
200 ml milk.

Heat over to 500 degrees fahrenheit or 260 degrees celsius. Flour your tray (one with high sides like a roasting tin is better than a cookie sheet)

Sift flour and salt. Rub butter in with finger tips, don't don't don't over work it. The butter should be fairly cold. If you let things get too warm, you'll have stone hard scones.

Make a well in the centre pour in the milk. Lightly cut through with a knife. Handling as little as possible very lightly knead the dough and shape into an oblong, cut out your scones either with a glass, a cutter or with a knife.

Lift onto scone tray. unlike cookies, they need to be close together in the pan. Glaze with milk.

Bake 10-12 minutes. Once baked, lift onto wire cooler and cover with a tea towel if you want soft scones.

My grandma used to add chives and grated cheese. If she had cream that had just started going sour, she would use half this and half milk. I have had friends use lemonade or soda water instead of milk, but I haven't tried this.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I knew I could count on you, Kyles! Now, if only I had some packaged potted cream....
Old 10-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #4

Scones — Light as a feather©
(My Original Recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups Self Raising Flour OR All Purpose flour with 8 tsp Baking Powder. (2 tsp per cup of flour OR as per instructions in your part of the world for same quantity of flour.
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 1/4 cup Yoghurt
  • 60g Butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:

In a Food Processor (or adapt ingredients to mixer or hand):
Process flour, salt and sugar until mixed through.
Add butter and process about 30 seconds to rub through butter.
Add milk, water, vanilla and yoghurt.
Process for 10-15 seconds or so until mixture comes together.
Remove dough and let stand 5 minutes.
Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch (12.5mm) thick (No need to measure with ruler, he! he!)
Cut out scones with scone or cookie cutter and place close together on greased tray. brush tops with milk.
Bake 210°C for approximately 15-20 mins until browned on top and cooked through. Some recipes suggest a hotter oven but I prefer 210C.
Let cool on rack.
Serve hot or leave until cooled and store in airtight container or freeze.
They can be freshened up later (couple of days) in microwave for a few seconds where they will appear as fresh baked.
Serve with strawberry or raspberry jam, jelly or conserve (depending on local terminology) and lavishings of fresh whipped cream.

Contrary to popular belief of olden day grandmothers, this recipe does not have to be handled with kid gloves, double or tripple sifted, quickly quickly or with the utmost gentleness and with as little handling as possible,supposedly to get the air into the flour,etc etc etc. I think this was perpetrated by the said grannies to boost their egos with the success they were having and to give excuses why others could not make scones!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Thanks Wayne!

I'm so pleased to have your recipe!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Clotted cream, food of the gods, but enemy of the hips. One of the top three best foodie things about England! I like your recipe Wayne, my grandma would have turned in her grave at the mention of yoghurt in a scone recipe, but I won't tell if you won't!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Good Luck!
Old 10-10-2004, 12:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I like your recipe Wayne, my grandma would have turned in her grave at the mention of yoghurt in a scone recipe, but I won't tell if you won't!!!

I used to use buttermilk instead of yoghurt But I find I don't waste the yoghurt after making the scones, I don't particularly like drinking buttermilk. I know I can use it in other recipes but sometimes it does get wasted. Also if I had neither buttermilk nor yoghurt, I would use 1 tsp vinegar in the milk but allow extra milk for the Buttermilk or yoghurt that is left out.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Thank you, W.W.
That looks so easy! Go figure!
Old 10-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
Clotted cream, food of the gods, but enemy of the hips. One of the top three best foodie things about England! I like your recipe Wayne, my grandma would have turned in her grave at the mention of yoghurt in a scone recipe, but I won't tell if you won't!!!
kyles, is clotted cream the same as Devonshire cream? If yes, then I am with you all the way! Could eat it by the handfuls, but won't.