"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Everymom

Aw that's sad Frank! Maybe we can export to you guys.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Molson Canadian Lemon Ice Export?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
... that's exactly right. Greg, when I work an evening shift I'm not home to make dinner. It isn't feasible for me to toss a ball of frozen dough out and expect them to do the work with it. They're often on the run to dance classes and after school jobs and Ken doesn't arrive home until its just about time to sit down.

SO...having said all that, a parbaked crust would be easy for them to grab, load up and bake. It MIGHT even have the structure to allow them to slide it onto a hot stone if they left it partially frozen.

I'll report back later. This is on the agenda for this weekend ...
It will be interesting to hear how it works out!

Maybe I'm wrong (and certainly have no experience in freezing pizza dough) but it seems intuitive to me (whether correct or not) that the dough would taste better if it rises a bit after thawing before cooking. And of course any "par cooking" would kill the yeast and prevent any subsequent rising.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It will be interesting to hear how it works out!

Maybe I'm wrong (and certainly have no experience in freezing pizza dough) but it seems intuitive to me (whether correct or not) that the dough would taste better if it rises a bit after thawing before cooking. And of course any "par cooking" would kill the yeast and prevent any subsequent rising.
I'm sure it will work out just fine Gregeaux!
Par-baked pizza dough is the normal process for making the tons of frozen pizza consumed on the planet each week. Consumers in their millions must think it has some merit.

How its made - frozen pizza - Video Dailymotion

Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I'm sure it will work out just fine Gregeaux!
Par-baked pizza dough is the normal process for making the tons of frozen pizza consumed on the planet each week. Consumers in their millions must think it has some merit.
Yes but freshly baked pizza (without the intermediary of "par-baking") is the normal process, the raison d'Ítre for many restaurants cooking their own fresh pizza crusts, and why many home chefs do the same.

To take your concept to the extreme Alix should just buy supermarket frozen pizzas and tell her family to read the directions on the box. Then the pizza will come par-baked, par-sauced, par-topped and par-mediocre.

I guess we're debating one concept here: Is it better to (1) freeze a dough ball and then later spend 1-2 hours to rise it and then roll it out, or (2) pre-roll it out and flatten it, pre-bake it to set it in its final form, and settle for what I expect would be not quite as good but quicker.

Obviously only the end user can decide which is preferable and which is best.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Yes but freshly baked pizza (without the intermediary of "par-baking") is the normal process, the raison d'Ítre for many restaurants cooking their own fresh pizza crusts, and why many home chefs do the same.

To take your concept to the extreme Alix should just buy supermarket frozen pizzas and tell her family to read the directions on the box. Then the pizza will come par-baked, par-sauced, par-topped and par-mediocre.

I guess we're debating one concept here: Is it better to (1) freeze a dough ball and then later spend 1-2 hours to rise it and then roll it out, or (2) pre-roll it out and flatten it, pre-bake it to set it in its final form, and settle for what I expect would be not quite as good but quicker.

Obviously only the end user can decide which is preferable and which is best.
Some of us have to make concessions when it comes to time or the lack of and trying to provide homemade food for our families. Par-Baking HOMEMADE pizza dough is far superior than a frozen boxed pizza.

Kudos to Alix for showing her family she cares enough to cook for them.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Obviously only the end user can decide which is preferable and which is best.
The "end user" stated her reasons for doing it her way which were entirely related to he particular situation.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Par-Baking HOMEMADE pizza dough is far superior than a frozen boxed pizza.
And freezing the HOMEMADE dough then defrosting it and letting it rise then rolling it out is far superior to a "par-baked" crust.

We are addressing different points here. I'm discussing whether it would be better to bake it before letting your family have at it, you're arguing whether supermarket is better than home made. I think it would be better to freeze it and then thaw and let it rise.

I think it would be better to throw the dough down on the counter the morning before the dinner after, and then several hours later you/they/anybody/them could roll it out and apply the toppings and bake it.

That would be far better than nuking some already cooked crust. IMO.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
And freezing the HOMEMADE dough then defrosting it and letting it rise then rolling it out is far superior to a "par-baked" crust.

We are addressing different points here. I'm discussing whether it would be better to bake it before letting your family have at it, you're arguing whether supermarket is better than home made. I think it would be better to freeze it and then thaw and let it rise.

I think it would be better to throw the dough down on the counter the morning before the dinner after, and then several hours later you/they/anybody/them could roll it out and apply the toppings and bake it.

Did you not read the part where Alix wrote that the family wasn't likely to do that? Don't have the time.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

No you brought it up first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
You have also said you are not an expert on frozen pizza dough...so how about letting a few of us talk about it, without being forced to agree with you.

Tags
pizza